Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Webcam Dilemma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostThu Apr 16, 20 12:30 am    Webcam Dilemma Reply with quote

So in our collective angst wondering what the appetite might be for more and better Webcams? What do you say PRO v. CON??

Building on Bruce P's great work, seems like a good time to take a pulse on this idea.

PROS:
CAMS are cool
CAMS are good for Mother Earth (less driving)
CAMS let you see what's happening now

CONS:
CAMS drive traffic to popular launches
CAMS are expensive / take effort to maintain
CAMS can take away the magic of tribal knowledge and discovery

Currently several of the existing CAMS are down or otherwise not working. Not sure how much people really want to see but then again the river is often so amazing...

For example had the pleasure of watching a massive GUST FRONT form from a dark storm cloud to the east over Bonneville dam and transform the river from dead calm to perfect whitecaps gleaming in the setting sun - only lasted long enough for a few pictures and a short mind session. See pics from today...

Do we want more or do we already have too much???

What's your .02

Mc

2020-04-16_Gust Front.png 
   2020-04-16_Columbia_Calm.png 

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostFri Apr 17, 20 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

I don't necessarily need any new cams put in place but by all means keep the ones going that have been established! There are many times when I was on the fence about heading out and it's so inspiring to see how nice it is and you're just like, IT"S ON!

And Re: crowding, it has occasionally convinced me to find a more secluded spot. "Hmm, sandbar is packed...might as well not bother"

And yes, willing to donate to keep them going.

My .02

niknas

Since 18 Sep 2006
181 Posts
North of OR, South of WA
Stoked

PostSat Apr 18, 20 7:08 am     Reply with quote

I might as well chime in as a webcam host. I have hosted webcams for close to 25 years. First to promote my business in a ski town. Now I have a online cam here in the Gorge that I installed to check on my hometown while traveling. It is easy host a website with a cam. GorgeNet gives me free hosting with my isp account. The cam has the ability to upload a image as frequently as programmed. If I had the bandwidth it it could be live, unfortunately we’re still in the dark ages in my neighborhood. My website is very primitive but it works. Sail works and Promotion both mine the cam image for use on their sites, I don’t mind. My website averages around 50 unique hits per day in the winter and it jumps upward to 250-300 hits in the summer. I receive no remuneration from my site. I could keep it private but what the hell if someone can enjoy checking the image out, great.

If you have never seen my site check it out at niknas.com or click on my signature below. Current weather and Cam from Underwood WA

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Apr 18, 20 7:22 am     Reply with quote

No opinion about more or different cams, just here to thank Niknas for the time and effort to keep his up and running. Back when the WSSandbar was an option it was great to have. Still a great resource so thanks. Hopefully it will be more useful soon!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 18, 20 7:24 am     Reply with quote

^^^

I live by this cam--seriously. Such a fantastic asset for my family.

Thank you!!

Eric

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostSat Apr 18, 20 10:39 am     Reply with quote

Hi Nik again thanks for the cam it's the best one to tell river conditions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: