Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New Ethics... KITE? Yes / No / Maybe
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Clyde S. Dale

Since 23 Jul 2016
55 Posts

PostMon Mar 30, 20 6:09 am     Reply with quote

Out here on the right coast.30 miles from NY ! Yesterday was 47,light rain and 20 -30 mph. I stayed home, friend said 10 kiters out at our easterly launch site, said kiters kept there distance ,no mention of the virus. I think everyone is tired of talking about it. No police, notices of closure, and because of the miserable conditions no one at the beach except the kiters. Balance is key, and that varies with each individual.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Mar 30, 20 9:39 am     Reply with quote

https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/los-angeles-surfer-fined-1000-ignoring-beach-closure/81733

Clyde S. Dale

Since 23 Jul 2016
55 Posts

PostTue Mar 31, 20 5:42 am     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/los-angeles-surfer-fined-1000-ignoring-beach-closure/81733

A couple more sessions and he'll know what its like being a kitesurfer. $$$

Thatspec

Since 17 Mar 2008
115 Posts
Ptucky
Stoked

PostTue Mar 31, 20 9:20 am     Reply with quote

The graphic would be adorable if it wasn't so creepy.
Time to peek around the edges folks.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2020/03/26/the-state-in-the-time-of-covid-19

Hmmmm.jpg 

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 31, 20 4:27 pm     Reply with quote

Link

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostTue Mar 31, 20 5:10 pm     Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/H1LHgyfPPQ8

All the best,
Hein

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Mar 31, 20 6:42 pm     Reply with quote

So, hot tubbing followed by naked kiting is the rx?

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Apr 01, 20 8:12 am     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:

Got to worth a try! Exclamation
Maybe with alcohol taken internally. Drunk virus might be less active.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Apr 01, 20 8:41 am     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:

Interesting video Hein, thanks for posting and it looks like a good channel.

To summarize:

Right now all our focus is on prevention (isolation) and treatment of severe symptoms (hospital supplies, more bed and ventilators). But we should be trying to do more to keep infected people with moderate symptoms from progressing to the point of needing hospitalization.

Historical evidence from pre-antibiotic times, suggests that raising and lowering your temperature via hot and cold baths can boost your immune system keep you out of the hospital.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostWed Apr 01, 20 10:20 am     Reply with quote

https://thatoregonlife.com/2020/03/trailheads-hot-springs-and-more-in-oregon-close-until-sept-30/

Is this the truth, will the event site be closed too all summer? I understand all about flattening the curve but this b.s ain't going anywhere and we are going to eventually all have to adapt. P.S Where is my event site parking pass refund! ;(

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 01, 20 11:20 am     Reply with quote

Mrlaroo wrote:
https://thatoregonlife.com/2020/03/trailheads-hot-springs-and-more-in-oregon-close-until-sept-30/

Is this the truth, will the event site be closed too all summer? I understand all about flattening the curve but this b.s ain't going anywhere and we are going to eventually all have to adapt. P.S Where is my event site parking pass refund! ;(

That article is for National Forests in Willamette district of Oregon - not the Event Site.
Interesting that Mt. Hood Forest has a sooner date - May 8.
Any dates chosen by authorities are just a guess.
The article quotes the decision makers - "the date closures could end sooner or later depending on conditions".

I think that kiters need to demonstrate we can contain ourselves and should not be "sneaking" out sessions around Hood River until the closures are lifted.
It's gonna be hard when the first windy warm spring days happen..... but if we hit the Event Site when it's closed..... it will backfire on us.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostWed Apr 01, 20 11:30 am     Reply with quote

That's good news, yes I have no problem doing what's right.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 01, 20 1:35 pm     Reply with quote

Do you have a 70 year old grandfather, uncle, neighbor, fellow kiter? Hope you have an awesome session.

Mrlaroo wrote:

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostWed Apr 01, 20 2:32 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that kiters need to demonstrate we can contain ourselves and should not be "sneaking" out sessions around Hood River until the closures are lifted.
It's gonna be hard when the first windy warm spring days happen..... but if we hit the Event Site when it's closed..... it will backfire on us.

Laird nails this right on target.

It seems that every 3-4 days or so, our guidelines and statistics change at an ongoing pace. Sooner or later, the statistics and percentages will start to work in our favor and when we hit whatever benchmark level might be of a safe enough level, we will see our parks open back up. But when they open up, there will most certainly be some level of user safety guidelines expected to be respected, and if we continue to prove we are can be trusted to follow these guidelines, then we will have no fear of being in that wave of first access users.

It's not easy for any of us right now. I've been hammering myself deep into yard work chores to exhaust me and take my focus away from kiting or ski touring, but everytime it gets super cold and rainy, or a warm westerly breeze puffs through my yard, my instincts to run for the hills or river.

We'll all make it through this together.

www.Purestokesports.com

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostWed Apr 01, 20 2:44 pm     Reply with quote

I'll add one more comment on this.

It needs to be understood and acknowledged that the Port of Hood River Waterfront Manager is doing her job in the best way possible, with the objective of keeping our community safe and the rescue personnel able to focus on their job and not on potential water or beach rescue calls.
She is making decisions that she knows will upset a minority of users, but the reasoning of those decisions is to protect the majority of the local community.

If you feel a need to share your opinion with the Waterfront Manager, please be thoughtful keep in mind that this is the person that places kiteboarding access via the Event Site as one of her main spring waterfront priorities, as well as working with the schools and food carts. These are all things that you and I love and benefit from each year.

This is a hand that helps us and supports us, so again, please keep this in mind.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Apr 03, 20 7:32 am     Reply with quote

Hey if you are board sitting at home wondering what to do with your time you might find this site interesting...

https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/

We all know Google tracks everything right. When you walk around with your cell phone, Google knows what ya did!!!

They have provided tracking data regarding social distancing for different areas.

The basic concept is they have "baseline data" from before the corona virus hit and they compare that data against today's data. They compare different category locations;
"Retail and Recreation","Grocery and Pharmacy","Parks","Transit Stations","Workplaces","Residential".

Since all the statistics are relative to the "baseline" a lower negative percentage means that people in that area were performing more social distancing than a higher negative percentage.

In other words a -40% means more social distancing was taking place than -50%

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 03, 20 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

Saw a windsurfer out near Rowena today. I guess if you're rich, you can windsurf/kite right off your backyard and be legit. Let the poor people pound sand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: