Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New Ethics... KITE? Yes / No / Maybe
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Mar 27, 20 6:12 pm     Reply with quote

Windian wrote:
Nak wrote:
If I drive from Camas to Hood River, I am not putting anyone at risk that you aren't putting at risk. So when you say you're going kiting, you are in fact inviting everyone that can drive to your spot to also go kiting.

I'm not judging, and I'm not going to weigh in on one side or the other. I personally am not kiting through the lock down. But saying it's OK for locals to kite but not someone who drives an unspecified distance, that's just localism--not science. If you don't want visitors coming to your community to kite, then don't invite them by putting up a large colorful invitation over the river.

The way this virus got out of Wuhan was by humans leaving Wuhan and traveling to other areas. If you are infected and live and stay in Camas, then the only people you are putting at risk are others that live in Camas. If you travel to Hood River, then you are now putting those HR residents in jeopardy of infection.

It was not my decision to put Lincoln County as off limits to nonresidents, but I do support the decision made by our county commissioners. Not because I don't want people kiting here, but because I don't want people coming here that could be infected.

"Go Home and Stay Home" means just that. Don't be traveling around the state anywhere right now for visiting family and friends, recreation, nonessential business, etc. The only people traveling from one community to another should be medical and emergency personnel, people distributing needed supplies, and individuals needing to commute for working essential jobs.

I understand why Hood River and coastal communities don't want to be inundated with tourists, especially after last weekend. But there is also clearly a bit of localism going on here. Portland is not Wuhan, and is not the epicenter of covid19. There have been people testing positive for covid19 in most counties in Oregon, including people from Lincoln and Hood counties. And many people from outlying areas frequently come to Portland and other urban areas for shopping, medical care etc, putting urban store clerks and health care workers at risk.

Regardless, now is probably not the time for travel or recreating. Nak's right, putting up your brightly colored kite sends the wrong message. Kiting is not necessary for exercise. Take a walk around your neighborhood or ride a bike. But don't tell me it's not OK to drive 45 min to kite but it's OK for you to drive (or even walk) 10 min to do the same activity because you are "local".

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostFri Mar 27, 20 7:08 pm     Reply with quote

Seven cases in Klickitat county, and like everywhere, that’s probably the tip of the iceberg. Two in Wasco, one in Hood River county.

Since testing is a bad joke, that’s probably the tip of the iceberg.

Three small hospitals in the mid Columbia.

Last weekend, Dog Mountain was parked out.

Cows are in on hospital hill, so don’t take your dog when you don’t go mtn biking. Ticks are having a banner year.

Best to stay home.

Should I feel guilty about blowing my government rescue payment in a carbon foil?

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Mar 27, 20 8:40 pm     Reply with quote

Our grandfathers were asked to go to war, we are being asked to sit on our couch....STAY HOME!!!

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostFri Mar 27, 20 9:41 pm     Reply with quote

Be a hermit and respect your community.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Mar 27, 20 10:31 pm     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
Our grandfathers were asked to go to war, we are being asked to sit on our couch....STAY HOME!!!

8e1.jpg 
   9b4.jpg 

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Mar 28, 20 8:45 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Nak, we needed the injection of humor to lighten things up with this post.

Laughing

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostSun Mar 29, 20 6:36 am     Reply with quote

Lots to think about. It seems many think that the virus will no be an issue after a few weeks of social distancing. However, it may eventually spread and everyone will get it. All efforts now seem to be avoiding an initial load on medical capacity.

It’s easy for me to hold off on kiting, since I wait until May to kite in the Gorge. However the trail closures affect backcountry skiing and mountain biking, which is great during Spring. I think these activities can be done and still not violate social distancing guidelines.

I haven’t gone surfing since this all started. I think this can also occur within social distancing guidelines.

If everything (gorge, coast ) is still closed this summer, that will be very, very difficult.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Mar 29, 20 7:54 am     Reply with quote

Some good news... By staying home the USA is starting to flatten the curve. Cases increased by only .89 % today, whereas Britain increased 14.2%

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Mar 29, 20 8:15 am     Reply with quote

That is good news John, and great of you to post.

A best friend of my wife in Australia has Covid-19. We facetimed with her last night. Says Australia is a "complete mess with no organized testing or plans." that's a paraphrase for a much more colorful description...

She is recovering at home in self quarantine. She may not require hospitalization, but says she has been really sick for 8 days and "you don't want to get it." She is a very fit 57 year old.

I am trying to stay in the head space of realizing that the boredom, isolation, and fear has it's purpose, and is important.

We can do this!

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Mar 29, 20 8:50 am     Reply with quote

The figures were from this morning from the website: nCoV2019.live On a sad note we had our first fatality in Klickitat County yesterday.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostSun Mar 29, 20 10:18 am     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
Some good news... By staying home the USA is starting to flatten the curve. Cases increased by only .89 % today, whereas Britain increased 14.2%

be careful what you read, folks

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Mar 29, 20 10:37 am     Reply with quote

I just checked the site and new cases/ % increase for today in the USA is stated as this:

"12,049 (9.79%)"

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Mar 29, 20 11:01 am     Reply with quote

How things change in a short time, huh? A little while ago a number of folks who kite were not thrilled with the nanny state. And now they are sucking down the partial and inaccurate numbers of a group who stated purpose is to scare you into staying home. Please stop spreading the nonsense and fear of a very misunderstood &/or misinterpreted group of numbers until there is something closer to a more complete and accurate picture. Stay home or don’t, up to you but no one is sure what the outcome will be of flattening the curve. Might be better, might be worse. No one knows but your guess is as good as the experts in this his case. We can all look at past examples of widespread infection as epidemics and see usual bell curve. This new SARS 2 version is better, worse or the same? No one knows, not even the ‘experts’ because they are all new and somewhat unique and mutate rapidly.
Will self isolation help in the long run? Might, might not. You have to re-emerge at some point to a strong, weaker mutation? Again, no one knows.
Stay safe, keep your loved ones safe as best you can but you might want to stop pretending that this is understandable at the moment with the limited facts available.
Rant off.

Edit; This does not even take into account the economic variables or the idea that science will save us. The problem is greed and fear and scientists are not equipped or able to help with that. Sorry, couldn’t help myself with the last part. Rolling Eyes

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Mar 29, 20 11:17 am     Reply with quote

I’m not being scared to stay home. My MD buddies on the front line have motivated me to do so. The numbers and data are no doubt not particularly accurate at this point, on that I agree. Regardless, we can do what we can do and any slowing down if this thing buys some time and ER room vacancy. That makes sense to me and I’m on board.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Mar 29, 20 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

Just want to point out the the US number of 0.89% this morning was only what was reported as of midnight East Coast time last night. So Europe numbers will be always bigger during our morning as they had almost a full day of reporting and we are just starting the day.
If you look now you will see that the numbers are over 12% for USA for the day now and quite a few states still have to report their numbers and others will still be updating theirs through the day as individual test centers send in updates. For example, Washington, Colorado, etc have not updated their numbest for today yet. We will be lucky if the US increase is below 15% for the day.
There is no point getting everyone depressed with these larger numbers but a the same time we don’t want to give out low incorrect numbers and may cause people to let their guard down.
Not sure what site you are using, but ncov2019.live gives a pretty good overall summary for the world and the US.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Mar 29, 20 3:57 pm     Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/world/europe/rich-coronavirus-second-homes.html?algo=top_conversion&fellback=false&imp_id=577197975&imp_id=294058626&action=click&module=trending&pgtype=Article&region=Footer

I have never run into so many people out in the woods. It’s weird.

Since we all have time to read and watch Netflix, what’s your favorite post apocalyptic book, movie or series?

S.M. Stirling’s Emberverse series is set right here in Oregon. It’ll keep you busy for awhile. There’s always the extended edition Stephen King’s the Stand. The Road. ...

Remember you can borrow books from our public libraries diectly on to your kindle reader, or the kindle app on your tablet. It’s magic.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSun Mar 29, 20 9:24 pm     Reply with quote

Really informative series by Dr. Seheult of Medcram.com

The tunnel:
https://youtu.be/LqKwAIIy-Mo

boosting your immune system:
https://youtu.be/qqZYEgREuZ8

How ARDS kills:
https://youtu.be/okg7uq_HrhQ

Many more very informative videos:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=medcram+covid-19

All the best,
Hein

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: