Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Promotion drysuit ?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Clyde S. Dale

Since 23 Jul 2016
55 Posts

PostTue Sep 17, 19 6:13 am    Promotion drysuit ? Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the promotion baggy top drysuit .My 10 year old promotion is shot , the neoprene glued itself together during storage. Mine was the wetsuit style with the back waterproof zipper. Seems they don't make this model anymore. The newer model looks like the old Bare drysuits. I'm 6'4" and 225. Thanx

http://stores.wetsuit.com/mens-4mm-dimension-drysuit-blue-j86/

ajwake

Since 11 Jan 2009
5 Posts

Kook

PostTue Sep 17, 19 6:42 am    Drysuit Reply with quote

Go with Ride engine wetsuit! They are warm and enviro friendly, not to mention you will look good amongst all the kiters in the gorge!

rideengine.com

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 17, 19 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Clyde, Check your PM for an opinion.
Kip

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 17, 19 9:46 am     Reply with quote

Kokatat full Gore-Tex!! Hands down the best dry-suit.

senorparker

Since 06 Aug 2009
20 Posts

PostTue Sep 17, 19 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Kokatat full Gore-Tex!! Hands down the best dry-suit.

Which one in their lineup do you recommend for kiting? Thx!

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostTue Sep 17, 19 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

senorparker wrote:
Which one in their lineup do you recommend for kiting? Thx!

This one is all you need from Kokatat. It has the relief (pee) zipper and no velcro waist wrap which keeps it simple (& less $$$)...
https://kokatat.com/product/gore-tex-front-entry-dry-suit-dsugfer

My only issue is the built-in socks. I personally don't like them, but many do.

Outside of the the Kokatat and for less money, I still think the OR Soul is the best drysuit for kiteboarding. I really like their entry zipper design and it also has a pee zipper.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 17, 19 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

I like the original: https://www.kayakacademy.com/collections/dry-suits-for-men/products/kokatat-gfer-goretex-front-entry-drysuit?variant=969200007

Kayak Academy is an excellent shop. Have them replace the wrist gaskets with custom fit ones. It makes a HUGE difference in hand warmth.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 17, 19 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

I have one of Promotions semi dry (my description) suits. I bought it about 1.5 years ago.

XXL but I am typically an XL so it may be small for XXL. I have never used it. will sell for 50% of retail.

I can find the exact model if interested

In Portland

206-321-8833

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 17, 19 4:31 pm     Reply with quote

Dry suit discussion? NOOO! It's still summer! I don't want to see holiday decorations yet either!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 17, 19 5:07 pm     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
Dry suit discussion? NOOO! It's still summer! I don't want to see holiday decorations yet either!

I wish. South blustery wind with rain? River temp under 70? It's Winter. Sad

Clyde S. Dale

Since 23 Jul 2016
55 Posts

PostTue Sep 17, 19 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

Thanx for input.I've considered a "baggy drysuit " but the price seems steep. Not sure if my comfort is worth it ! I wish I was limber and a "normal" size ,I'd get one of those "Houdini" suits. I've got size 14 feet so I don't need the pee zipper. Rolling Eyes

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Sep 19, 19 8:55 am     Reply with quote

I have had good luck with promotion products

if you are talking full drysuits

i have an ancient kokatat drysuit that held up well

but also really like the Ocean Rodeo drysuits - talk to Tak and Stringy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

nateone

Since 01 Aug 2010
52 Posts
Fairview, OR

PostFri Sep 20, 19 5:40 am     Reply with quote

I’m 6’4” and 210 and size 12 feet. The OR Heat XL with dry socks has worked for me for a few years. It’s a slight stretch to get into at my height but gets roomier once I burp it. I suppose I could have gone with a larger size but I like that it’s not too baggy.i like the dry socks because I can layer extra wool socks underneath according to the conditions. I wear Adidas clima-cool water shoes size13 (1 size larger) with the drysuit.

mark_bristol

Since 24 Apr 2009
7 Posts

Kook

PostSat Sep 21, 19 9:38 am     Reply with quote

Be advised, Kokatat no longer offers any real warranty protection for their products, at least in my recent experience. I purchased a custom drysuit directly from their website less than one year ago. Purchasing from their website allows for selecting custom features, such as choosing ankle gaskets instead of the usual built-in booties. Each custom feature results in increased cost, pushing the final price for my suit to well over $1,000. Thought it would be worth it, since I was expecting to get at least 4 or 5 winter seasons of use before any repairs might be needed.

The suit developed leaks in the fabric after occasional use over just one winter season. Followed the instructions on the Kokatat website and returned the suit to Kokatat for a "warranty evaluation". They found the suit leaked, but their evaluation found "no warranty issues". As for their warranty, they stated any repair or replacement would be done "At Kokatat's option". Pretty clear declaration that their so-called warranty offers no substantial protection for the customer.

And get this. I was told "Kokatat suits are designed for paddlesports, not kitesurfing or windsurfing". Apparently, using a Kokatat suit for anything other than paddlesports is reason enough to deny any warranty claim.

Still trying to work this out with Kokatat, but nothing so far points towards a favorable result for me.

Makelo295

Since 09 Aug 2016
12 Posts
Hillsboro

PostSat Sep 21, 19 11:29 am     Reply with quote

I have had good luck with Promotion. All my suits from them have lasted longer than I expect - I can't say that about some of the big name brands.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostSat Oct 12, 19 11:14 pm     Reply with quote

mark_bristol wrote:
Be advised, Kokatat no longer offers any real warranty protection for their products, at least in my recent experience. I purchased a custom drysuit directly from their website less than one year ago. Purchasing from their website allows for selecting custom features, such as choosing ankle gaskets instead of the usual built-in booties. Each custom feature results in increased cost, pushing the final price for my suit to well over $1,000. Thought it would be worth it, since I was expecting to get at least 4 or 5 winter seasons of use before any repairs might be needed.

The suit developed leaks in the fabric after occasional use over just one winter season. Followed the instructions on the Kokatat website and returned the suit to Kokatat for a "warranty evaluation". They found the suit leaked, but their evaluation found "no warranty issues". As for their warranty, they stated any repair or replacement would be done "At Kokatat's option". Pretty clear declaration that their so-called warranty offers no substantial protection for the customer.

And get this. I was told "Kokatat suits are designed for paddlesports, not kitesurfing or windsurfing". Apparently, using a Kokatat suit for anything other than paddlesports is reason enough to deny any warranty claim.

Still trying to work this out with Kokatat, but nothing so far points towards a favorable result for me.

Any luck on them fixing it?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Oct 13, 19 5:32 pm     Reply with quote

REI has climacool's size 12.5 and 13 at 54% off right now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: