Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Event Site is still in pump/dry mode only
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 06, 19 1:37 pm    Event Site is still in pump/dry mode only Reply with quote

Just a reminder that the Event Site is still in Pump/Dry mode until the Port officially designates a re-opening date.

Current view point from the Port's insurance/liability standpoint is that the Event Site still has too many multisport/spectator users for safely re-introducing kiteboarding launch/land into the area.
If the amount of users at the event site continues through the month, the re-opening of kite launch and land may be delayed until the end of the month.

And, yes, the Event Site is still a paid parking lot, so remember to keep your passes in your car and if you don't have a pass, then remember to pay for a daily pass when parked.

The growing amount of commercial businesses and it's growing population of users and guests seems to continue to expand and push more demand on these waterfront locations and parking venues.
With more commercial businesses to be expected along the waterfront, these will likely be standard growth scenarios for us to have to get used to.

www.Purestokesports.com

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 24, 19 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

Just a reminder.

Saw some very sketchy, amateurish launches occurring today in the super holey southwesterly windshadow.

Sandbar launch was the correct and smart call for the day.

Port of HR still appears to have plans to hold the pump and dry status until the end of September

www.Purestokesports.com

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 24, 19 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

It's a good point, thanks Pepi - people I speak with are unsure (I know signs abound), or just plain disagree. If I'm standing there and a kiter comes in to land then my better judgment tells me it's safer to land them then tell them to go to the sandbar (which may not even have someone to catch). I'm not entirely comfortable with doing this (given that it's breaking port rules), but again it's typically a judgment call I feel I'm experienced enough to make - am open to feedback. (And I confess I've launched a few folks too... sorry).

Really the main thing is that the wind has a lot of south in it this time of year which makes the sandbar wind a better choice anyway!

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 24, 19 2:41 pm    Confusing Signage Reply with quote

The sign clearly states the grass is closed until September 15th . So if your visiting and see that and know no better you launch into sketch winds . Go to the sandbar , it’s better and the exercise is good for you .

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 24, 19 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

Everyone knows it's supposed to be closed.
Everyone knows they are breaking the rules.
They thinks it's stupid that we can't launch from the grass ad there's no authority to stop them.
I talked to a couple of them (locals) - they know.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 24, 19 4:28 pm     Reply with quote

But there’s money for someone to write parking tickets.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 24, 19 4:53 pm     Reply with quote

There were exactly 0 windsurfers at the ES today Sept. 24th. There were 25-30 kiters. There were 15 spectators. What a joke that we can't use the grass for launching and landing. I called Daryl twice to discuss the situation and she has never returned my call.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 25, 19 8:37 am     Reply with quote

Reminder that I am just a messenger nowadays.

Personally, I prefer to pump and launch at the Event Site, but I am not a fan when there are others launching who have no idea about the wind vortex, wind shadow or have no idea how to manage difficult launch scenarios.
Yesterday there were people repeatedly trying to launch, drop their kites in the wind shadow and then struggle trying to relaunch the kite in the water dead downwind blocking the entire launch.
Add to this scenario the random extra person who watches all this and then does the exact same thing, but without any wetsuit.

The bigger picture here is that if (or the next time) a person gets hurt as a result of kiteboarding and the Port of HR's insurance company is forced to settle (or loses) a wrongful injury claim, then the entire Port of HR waterfront will have to discontinue allowing kiteboard access.

It's never a full on win-win, but it keeps the launch available to re-open each year.

As you all know, we (the former CGKA) have handed the reigns of this responsibility over to the CGWWA.
So, as such, my original post was just made to ensure that everyone has as best a chance as possible to know what the current Port of HR rules were.

Yesterday, the wind sucked badly via the Event Site, and I launched at the Spit.

www.Purestokesports.com

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 25, 19 9:49 am    wind Reply with quote

Yeah saw people launching off the grass Saturday. What too lazy to walk out to the spit?
Twisted Evil

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 25, 19 11:10 am    Re: wind Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
Yeah saw people launching off the grass Saturday. What too lazy to walk out to the spit?
Twisted Evil

If you are foiling the route to a deeper lane of water is much much easier from the grass. I'm essentially carrying the entire length of the sandbar to get to a cleaner launch. My dear carbon wing shows some punishment.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 25, 19 11:31 am    Sorry Reply with quote

The rules are the rules. Sorry its hard to carry your foil.
Its in everybody's best interest to not piss off the port.
Or there insurance company.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 25, 19 12:11 pm    Re: wind Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
wannabekiter wrote:
Twisted Evil

If you are foiling the route to a deeper lane of water is much much easier from the grass. I'm essentially carrying the entire length of the sandbar to get to a cleaner launch. My dear carbon wing shows some punishment.

How far will you have to carry it if the site gets closed? Question

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 25, 19 1:39 pm    Re: Sorry Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:

You're correct. Sorry for my snarky-ness. I lurk from out of town. It's all carbon and weightless Moses anyway.

Clyde S. Dale

Since 23 Jul 2016
55 Posts

PostWed Sep 25, 19 4:16 pm    Re: Sorry Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
wannabekiter wrote:

You're correct. Sorry for my snarky-ness. I lurk from out of town. It's all carbon and weightless Moses anyway.

Think about the workout you get, people pay money for that ! And foilers need a workout, that smooth butter riding is effortless ! Smile

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 25, 19 5:51 pm    Re: Sorry Reply with quote

[/quote]
Think about the workout you get, people pay money for that ! And foilers need a workout, that smooth butter riding is effortless ! Smile[/quote]

Pretty accurate.
First trip to the coast this summer on my surfboard proved that foiling had turned me into a lazy foiling puss. Got totally worked until I remembered that I had to actually work for the waves, ride the kite powered and bury the rail to get where I needed.

www.Purestokesports.com

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 26, 19 9:29 am     Reply with quote

Gotta come clean before I get grilled for it, but i landed at the Event Site this morning.
Way tooooo overpowered on my 6m dawn patrol.

www.Purestokesports.com

tgautier

Since 22 Oct 2016
48 Posts

PostSat Sep 28, 19 4:10 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
Reminder that I am just a messenger nowadays.

Yes - good reminder Smile

Quote:

The bigger picture here is that if (or the next time) a person gets hurt as a result of kiteboarding and the Port of HR's insurance company is forced to settle (or loses) a wrongful injury claim, then the entire Port of HR waterfront will have to discontinue allowing kiteboard access.

It's never a full on win-win, but it keeps the launch available to re-open each year.

Makes sense - good to know. It still doesn't explain why there is a change in the times this year. My question is - did someone at the port re-evaluate the situation and come to a different conclusion than had been reached in prior years? Did something about the insurance situation change? Something is different...wondering what it is.

I'm not even assuming you know the answer to this - just curious at this point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: