Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Surfboard Refurb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
treitz

Since 07 Jun 2016
78 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Sep 05, 19 1:09 pm    Surfboard Refurb Reply with quote

Hey all,

I recently picked up my first surfboard from a friend. It's not in terrible shape, but it does need some love.

I've made all of the necessary structural repairs, so it is currently functional... but I have some questions on a few others items.

Foam vs. wax.
The front pad is coming off which leaves me with a few options.
1. Replace with new pad
2. Pull off and replace with wax

Functionally wise - I'm sure there are a ton of opinions out there. The rear pad is in good shape...so I could either rock a rear pad with wax up front, or just replace the front pad. I will mostly be riding in The Gorge, but might venture into the Pacific once I get a little more experienced on it (if that makes a difference).

Follow up question on this, how hard will it be to remove the glue residue left behind by the pad without damaging the board? Something like "goo gone" going to be my best bet?

I would want to remove the residue before installing a new pad, or going with wax.

The board is white, for the most part. Curious if there are paints that can be used for "touch up" that will withstand the water. I'm not too concerned about how it looks, but I figured if I'm fixing it up, why not touch it up (if it's an option).

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Sep 05, 19 1:22 pm     Reply with quote

How bad is the old pad? Is it just peeling or torn up? Can you just reglue it with contact cement?

treitz

Since 07 Jun 2016
78 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Sep 05, 19 1:25 pm     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
How bad is the old pad? Is it just peeling or torn up? Can you just reglue it with contact cement?

Yeah, probably could! Wasn't even sure what kind of glue to use, honestly.

It's just pealing up, otherwise in pretty good shape. That would definitely be the easiest way to just keep it on the water Smile

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Sep 05, 19 1:30 pm     Reply with quote

Weldwood or 3M work really well for me

treitz

Since 07 Jun 2016
78 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Sep 05, 19 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
Weldwood or 3M work really well for me

Rad. Thanks for the tip!

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostFri Sep 06, 19 9:58 pm     Reply with quote

Stop by NSI and get some diamond cut EVA with PSA (peel and stick adhesive) on the back so you can cut your own pad. Use 3M citrus based adhesive remover to break down the old adhesive and then scrape it off with a plastic squeegee. Wipe off the rest with old rags or paper towels.

Make a pattern for your new pad with some poster board by tracing the rail of the board. Then shift the pattern inward about 1 to 1 1/2 inches to keep it away from the rails. Fold it in half to establish a center line and trim your pattern so it is symmetrical. Then trace that and cut it out of the EVA. Ball point pen will mark the release paper of the PSA. Use some 80 grit sand paper to round off the top edge around the perimeter. I like sort of a larger thin front pad with maybe some stick on traction film between that and the tail kick pad. NSI has that too.

Rustoleum Painters Touch spray paint will work fine. Hood River supply has that.

All the best,
Hein

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: