Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Business Idea!! Buy a jet ski and coach people
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostWed May 30, 07 1:04 pm    Business Idea!! Buy a jet ski and coach people Reply with quote

Wow, this is a great idea. How much would people be willing to pay to get a ride up past Wells Island? What would the insurance issues be for a service like this??

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed May 30, 07 1:22 pm     Reply with quote

It depends on how "real" your going to keep it.

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostWed May 30, 07 1:22 pm     Reply with quote

let's see... i went up there 15 times last year so, $5000 jet ski, $300 in gas for ski, $500 yearly maintenance for the ski, $150 insurance, and about $150 extra in gas towing the ski out from portland.

$406/trip... that's what i'm willing to pay. at that rate you'll have the best business in the hood.

Bandito

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed May 30, 07 1:37 pm     Reply with quote

What is so good about Wells Island? I'm looking at it on Google Earth and it doesn't look special really.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed May 30, 07 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
What is so good about Wells Island? I'm looking at it on Google Earth and it doesn't look special really.

The reason wind is usually gusty at the sandbar is because Wells is upwind of it... when you are upwind of wells the wind is much steadier (and usually stronger.)

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostWed May 30, 07 1:40 pm     Reply with quote

nothing special, but when it's 13M at the sand bar it's 9M at wells.
bandito

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed May 30, 07 1:47 pm     Reply with quote

Wouldn't a kayak work for getting over there? Is there a place to rig and launch? Someone mentioned flat water, is this true?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed May 30, 07 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

Depending on water level there is little or no room for launching... We always just tow up with the kite in the air on the back of the jet ski. There's some pretty good flat water but its nothing like what's down at the sandbar.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed May 30, 07 2:13 pm     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Wouldn't a kayak work for getting over there? Is there a place to rig and launch? Someone mentioned flat water, is this true?

a kayak would work, but how ya gonna get back? there is no place to rig / lauch when the water is high, if the water is low there is a little inlet on the island you could launch but it would be straight on shore winds, and it is really really small. I just ride up there after launching at the sandbar, it only takes like 20-30 minutes to get up there if you're really good at riding upwind Cool

Wells island is a schweet place to go. There is this huge huge sandbar about 2-3 feet completely underneath the water on the west side of wells island, it is as wide as wells island and probably goes to the west from wells island for about half a mile, maybe more. This is a super good spot for intermediates to work on new tricks and progress there skills. This is where i went almost everyday last year because it wasn't crowded there was flat shallow water that was still deep enough i wouldn't get hurt from crashing and i just progressed like a mad man.

the other great thing about it is that the wind is constant and steady all the way across the river here, there are no holes like there is down in front of the event site because there are no islands for a long ways once you're on the west side of wells. Wells island is what causes the massive wind hole out in front of the sandbar / event site

lotsa of people say there are logs / sticks that could impale you in the 3 foot deep water but i've only found one this year and it is a pretty massive log and i think it'd be pretty hard to hit it cause it is clearly visible and i dont really think it would impale you, but you could definately smash into it if you're not careful. There are also some rocks close to the oregon shore really far up, but they are really easy to avoid and dont even get in the way there is so much open space up there.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed May 30, 07 2:21 pm     Reply with quote

Awesome, I've been up past the White Salmon bridge once last year but spent my time playing in the swell. Thanks for the info and I'll check it out!

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed May 30, 07 2:24 pm     Reply with quote

Good going guys.......... You just gave out the best spot close to HR Sad Confused Crying or Very sad Embarassed

I just hope everyones gonna be tooooo lazy to go up the mile

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed May 30, 07 2:36 pm     Reply with quote

BigR wrote:
Good going guys.......... You just gave out the best spot close to HR Sad Confused Crying or Very sad Embarassed

No, you just did Confused

kitekid

Since 15 Apr 2007
170 Posts

Stoked

PostWed May 30, 07 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

you can rent a jet ski for the day for less than that cant you are family rented a jetski for 80 for the day

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed May 30, 07 4:35 pm     Reply with quote

kitekid wrote:
you can rent a jet ski for the day for less than that cant you are family rented a jetski for 80 for the day

Where do you do this??? Do you have to ride it where you rent it? Or can you trailer it?

Nak

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed May 30, 07 5:16 pm     Reply with quote

The launch at Wells is not for the faint of heart!

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostWed May 30, 07 5:23 pm     Reply with quote

Nak you can rent ski's at SK northwest in Portland.

kitekid

Since 15 Apr 2007
170 Posts

Stoked

PostWed May 30, 07 5:49 pm     Reply with quote

just look up jet ski rentals around the area ill do some research sometime

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: