Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Jet-Ski's and Kiteboarding
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed May 30, 07 7:47 am    Jet-Ski's and Kiteboarding Reply with quote

We had out ski out at the sandbar this weekend (ours is white/gold), so did our friends Jim (Kodiak) and Janet (their's is white/green). I think between all of us we probably rescued over 20 people this weekend. My girlfriend Nicole (Bettyboarder) rescued 9 people on one day alone. For us its no problem, it’s a good karma bank as far as I am concerned.

I think the only thing that'd be nice is if some kiters try to give a little more respect to jet-ski's out there. One guy buzzed Nicole and Mark a couple of times with his kite when they were way up by Wells Island helping Mark's son kite. For some reason the guy had it in for them.

A jet-ski rescue can make the difference between a 5 minute ride or a 45 minute swim, 10 minute rock climb, and cross-state hitch-hike home. We've also saved boards, relaunched kites, untangled kites that have crossed with other kites...

99% of people are usually super appreciative for the help, but there's still some dicks out there. If you see somebody on a ski with a harness on, try to show them a little love, the next person they save could be you.

And if you have the means, considering getting one yourself. It really makes kiting much more worry free, and tow-ups to Wells Island can save you from a skunk day at the sandbar.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed May 30, 07 7:52 am     Reply with quote

Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

we need an applause emoticon for you guys!

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed May 30, 07 7:54 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for giving me the green light to buy one. Smile Just need to find a cheap one and build a ghetto tower for it.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed May 30, 07 8:01 am     Reply with quote

I second Phil's thoughts completely. Sorry to hear about the dickwad screwing with you guys.

Is it just me, or are there a couple of real assholes at the spit this year? 99% of the riders I've met there have been great, but there are a couple of jerks there this year, unidentified as of yet... Not very typical for kiteboarding. Every spot I've gone everybody is stoked and helpful. But this year at the spit there a couple of guys who need to lighten up.

JMHO

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed May 30, 07 8:03 am     Reply with quote

Just looked at the price of used skis on Craigslist. What are the pros and cons of buying used and what should I look for as far as damage. Might as well just paste me a link to a buyers guide or something, I have little understanding of the ailments of water vessels.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed May 30, 07 8:21 am     Reply with quote

Thanks again to Phil and especially Nicole for the jet ski session. That was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Not sure why that guy was being such a a$$. I even talked to him later on the beach. Still being an A$$. Bad karma for him. I think he is from out of town. He is easily recognizable and I will be watching him to make sure he plays nice.

The Jetski and kid you buzz maybe there to save you some day.
Mark

www.naishkites.com

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 30, 07 8:29 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it just me, or are there a couple of real assholes at the spit this year?

I hope I was not one of those assholes. I was out at the spit on sunday when it was VERY up and down and had just launched, and i'm still a noob when some dude decided he wanted to end his session near me and his kite got awfully close to mine while i felt like i wasnit in great control of my own kite yet. Mad so i may have flashed the dude an inadvertant dirty look, but it was not intentional. so, im sorry if i was ruining the stoke, but frankly i was a little scared. Embarassed

Anyways, I've been really interested in buying a jetski too. anyone have experience buying used jetski's? It seems like they're always too expensive or too old. from what i've seen, it seems like new (3person)ski's cost $8000. a ski thats a few years is around $4000. anything that's around $1000 is at least 10 years old, and I'm kinda leery about buying something like that. Is a 8-10 yr old jet ski still reasonable servicable?

thanks for the tips! Very Happy
-ken

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 30, 07 8:34 am     Reply with quote

phil, great work on the ski. as one who has been in the sheit in the hood and been rescued, i say thank you from the heart.

forrest, do what you gotta do, man but consider buying a NEW ski. i have never seen one on the water that wasnt ridden flat out. and two stroke equipment is Evil or Very Mad to repair.

about a flotilla for an epic downwinder in the columbia, i have a reliable little 22 foot sanger that can come along when we get back from cab-town in late june, early july. i will probably need a little help with that whole drift-launch thing though; gives me the creepy-jeepies just thinking about it.

jimmi

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostWed May 30, 07 8:56 am     Reply with quote

That guy that buzzed us was a real A$$. First time I have come across such a jerk on the water. Usually people are super nice

You can find a nice used ski for around $3k-$4K. They are kind of like cars buy them new is sort of a waste of $$$ if you have the $$$ go for it but if not check out this site out lots of great video's on what to look for in a used ski, 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, maintance...ect

http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19182

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostWed May 30, 07 9:02 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, I would definitely say this was a busy weekend for rescues. The kite tangle was an interesting one. I have a couple of things to add to Phil's post.

Rescuing someone is not always the easiest thing to accomplish, so here are a few tips to make is safer for everyone involved.

1. Make sure you roll up all of your lines nice and tight around the bar. Having lines dangling where they can get sucked into the jetski is a good way to add another person to the rescue Smile This is really important if the person rescuing you is not a kiter. They may not know about a the lines in the water, so make sure they are aware of the issue as well.

2. It depends on the situation but depending on the wind and the waves, it may be nessisary to also deflate the kite and roll it up.

3. If a person is close to shore, I may just ride up and grab the front edge of the kite, and tow you to shore, but again, if you have lines that are floating free or near the kite, let the person on the jetski know, so they can avoid them.

Finally a little request. When we kite at the spit, we sometimes drive upwind to get to wells Island, with someone sitting on the back of the jetski flying a kite. We ussually only do this so the newer kiters can get some more space to move. This does present an issue when it is super busy , as riding through all the folks with a kite flying vertical is difficult. Just a heads up to try and give a little space since you can't do much to stear the jetski or the kite in these situations.

I honestly look at rescuing people as a privilige. I have had my butt saved several times when shit hit the fan, and I think I am just giving a little back. It is no fun for anyone to swim in, so if I can give a helping hand I love to.

Oh, and we got our jetski used, with a trailor for a sweet deal. I would be ok getting a used one, just make sure you get it checked by a mechanic before buying it.

Last edited by Kodiak on Wed May 30, 07 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed May 30, 07 9:03 am     Reply with quote

If anyone is interested. I have a buddy that is a top notch Jetski mechanic. I am sure for a couple of bucks he will go along and give a good idea of what you are buying. May give you a better comfort level buying used.
Ps there are some great deals on ski's that don't run that can be fixed easily. Two strokes are easy to work on and rebuild.

hope that helps.
Mark

www.naishkites.com

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 30, 07 9:16 am     Reply with quote

AHHHH jet skis. Once again I usally don't get on and post. However. I worked at a jet ski rental place in college and I want to go on record by saying that I CANT FREAKING STAND JETSKIS! Simplely because of the maintance and everyone that i experianced with them were drunk and wrecking them! Evil or Very Mad HOWEVER........I also want to go on record by saying that they probly are one of the best things to happen to the safey of kiting! Weather it be saving people, or teaching, or knowing that one is there to save a friend or my wife during the learning process, they are a perfect tool to have in the arsonal! Every fourth of july when people get together at Roosevelt, there are a couple of skis! I also want to go on record by saying that these jet skis don't run on "thanks dude!" Although karma is a good thing to bank. Jet skis burn fuel, not karma. Next time you need one of these jet skis to "help out" dig down and think about how thankful you are to have one headed your way! So for the people that own them and have the availble for use on anygiven day, I say THANK YOU! Laughing Thumb's Up

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 30, 07 9:41 am     Reply with quote

there has been talk of outlawing the 2-strokes... check with the DMV or river authority before you buy one. You might not be able to license it in a few years.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed May 30, 07 9:54 am    Kiters pulling jetskis in! Reply with quote

Also, if your jetski breaks down... I'll pull ya in with my kite!

Bams

PS: The Bams water patrol will be back in Hood River July 1st thru the 9th! See everyone there!

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 30, 07 10:32 am     Reply with quote

As too the outlawing the two stokes..........they have done it to dirt bikes in california and it forced the industry to coperate. Besides, fourstokers aren't a bad think when weight isn't an issue. 4 stroke snomobiles are so heavey they can almost be a hazard because the industry hasn't focused on making light performance oreinted four stoke sleds. Yamaha has led the way, but the yamaha sleds have earned some pretty nasty nick names for there weight, even though they can produce crazy amounts of power. When it comes to water craft the only down side to four stokes is that they seem to be more sensitive machines, other than that, they are more quiet and seem to run better for longer periods of time. Weight isn't an issue for water craft. Get a four stroke!!!!!

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed May 30, 07 10:39 am     Reply with quote

What are the nicknames for the four stroke yahamas?? I rode a four stroke phazer last winter and it had no snort what so ever.

h2olm

Since 07 Jun 2006
124 Posts

Stoked

PostWed May 30, 07 11:13 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
A jet-ski rescue can make the difference between a 5 minute ride or a 45 minute swim, 10 minute rock climb, and cross-state hitch-hike home.

I can attest to that! I wish you guys would have spotted me on Monday as I was drifting away from the White Salmon River. My kite actually twisted on itself, but that's another matter. Thanks for the few people who came by to make sure I was alright, and a special thank to the guy who took my board to the sandbar. I was doing a self rescue when I heard a windsurfer yell "BARGE, BARGE" Later, he told me he had never seen anyone swim that fast. Once I was out of the barge lane, I used the kite to pull me to the Washington side, climbed the rocks, and stood on Highway 14 in my wetsuit, holding my kite, and hoping for a quick ride home. A really nice couple pulled over and I hopped in the back of their truck and they drove my back to the sandbar. I then went home, had lunch, took a short break, and went back out for a couple of more hours. Couldn't let a beautiful day end with long swim. A jet ski rescue would have been much appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: