Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sauvie anticipation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostTue May 29, 07 2:06 pm    Sauvie anticipation Reply with quote

I am really looking forward to getting out and trying my new kite, but according to
http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?model=eta&Submit=Change+Source&state=OR&sta=KSPB
sauvie's has hardly any wind when everything around it is blowing. Is there any way to tell if it will be worth driving 45 min out to the island? I really want to get out there and prob need only 10 mph wind for my 11m kite. Is there anybody that would say "every afternoon is pretty much good enough" or is that a bit too optimistic?

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue May 29, 07 2:19 pm     Reply with quote

Ahhhh my young jedi. Ever hopefull you are. Just to serve as an FYI and help you save some gas money. Here are some helpfull sauvie tips.

1. Check the scapppose aviation forecast --links unde "spots" above. One of the best forecasts for sauvie (IMO) I ikitesurf is also good although you got to pay the man.

2. There are many many many many times when driving to sauvies sucks ass. One can only drink so much beer on the beach and not get pissed off b/c you got skunked.

3. I never even think of driving out that way unless scappose is blowing 12 or the coast is cooling off quickly and jones beach is pumping.

4. If you only need 10mph for your 11m kite then one of the scenarios is in effect.

a. you weigh 80 lbs
b. you have a wood door from the re-building center with foot straps on it for a light wind board
c. Both of the above

5. LAstly, when in doubt. seekt he advice of the magic eightball.

CAN I GET AN OFFICIAL 8-BALL PREDICTION PLEASE.....

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostTue May 29, 07 2:34 pm     Reply with quote

maybe I need more wind then, I weigh 155 and have a 151 cm board. Is it normal to have this little wind for this long? my first impression was the demo day a week or 2 ago. Many told me that although above average, enough wind was pretty common. I'm beginning to doubt this.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue May 29, 07 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

It seems to be more conistantly breezy in the hotter days of summer when the big driving force behind the wind is the tmperature and pressure gradients between the coast and the city.

Go to the gorge young man!!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue May 29, 07 4:13 pm    Re: Sauvie anticipation Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
I am really looking forward to getting out and trying my new kite, but according to
http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?model=eta&Submit=Change+Source&state=OR&sta=KSPB
sauvie's has hardly any wind when everything around it is blowing. Is there any way to tell if it will be worth driving 45 min out to the island? I really want to get out there and prob need only 10 mph wind for my 11m kite. Is there anybody that would say "every afternoon is pretty much good enough" or is that a bit too optimistic?

SI, she is a prude. . . if you can get her to put out than you have bagged the blue eyed redhead, blonde. . . but more likely she is just going to give you looks, tease, then walk away.

Don't get me wrong SI is great when it performs, but your better off going to the gorge or better yet, the coast where the wind are super steady--great enviro for learning.

My 2 cents

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue May 29, 07 4:16 pm    Re: Sauvie anticipation Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Spike wrote:

SI, she is a prude. . . if you can get her to put out than you have bagged the blue eyed redhead, blonde. . . but more likely she is just going to give you looks, tease, then walk away.

Don't get me wrong SI is great when it performs, but your better off going to the gorge or better yet, the coast where the wind are super steady--great enviro for learning.

My 2 cents

I like SI - but sasquatch is right - she's a tease. Once in a while you can get some from her and generally its on the hot days in Portland.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue May 29, 07 4:25 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah its funny... it will be awesome for a week and then nothing for weeks or months (boy last year SUCKED.) But hey most places in the world that's how the wind works, we're just damn lucky to live between two very windy places (the Gorge and the OC.)

Why is it not blowing today? Well the Gorge/Portland is nuking easterlies, that usually F's up wind at Sauvies. You need it hot in Portland, but not so hot as to turn the easterlies on. Seems like the best days at Sauvies are when its 70-80 degrees. Watching nwwind.net is good for seeing pressure differences between Kelso and Portland (you want it to be northerly and increasing), and watching the Iwindsurf Jones sensor is good too.

If you want a long sandy beach with sideshore wind and upwind current, check out Jones Beach. The coast is good too, just stay on the inside away from the big breakers. The Gorge is more gnarly but plenty of people learn there and in July its basically always windy. If you have a friend with a jetski or someone you can do a downwinder with then you will find riding in the Gorge a very productive learning experience.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue May 29, 07 5:08 pm     Reply with quote

You would have been solid last night at Sauvies... Picked up for the last couple hours before shutting down. When I left there was one dude with a 17m on the water. Could have easily been out on Tony's Machine too.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostTue May 29, 07 5:20 pm     Reply with quote

I'm a bit scared of hood river because its an 11m kite and I have only 9 hours of experience. If the wind blows from the east will that make it more difficult? I am willing to head out there tomorrow if it isn't too risky as a beginner since current and wind will be going the same direction (and i dont want to end up downstream without a beach). If not, anybody ever carpool? I live about a mile from I-205 exit 14 in clackamas.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue May 29, 07 5:29 pm     Reply with quote

easterly days are not for beginners IMO. first the launch at stevenson is pretty sketchy, think a bunch of slippery rocks and also a bush where your kite might fall back into. also if the current is going, you have to be powered up good to get upwind, and if you can't stay upwind on a westerly day, dont even think about going out on an easterly day at stevenson, cause you'll end up flying down where all the windsurfers are or beyond. Rooster rock is really good on easterly days, if the water is low. even for beginners, because if you can't stay upwind then there is lots of sandy beach you can wash into and walk back up. you'll soon get tired of walking. also an 11m bow is a lot for RR if it is nuking, specially for a beginner. you're better off spending more time w/ a trainer on the easterlies than going out and gettin frusterated.

also, no can kite in da Hood on easterly, it only blows like 10mph, you could however probably get out and safely fly your 11m bow in the hood and body drag around, just watch out for a couple of the logs/debris and be prepared for cold water (in the hood river). I dont think i'd recomend going out in the columbia on a 10mph easterly day, you'll end up downwind really quick.
Where the hood empties in to the columbia the current is actually moving from the west & south; you have sandy beaches all around you, so it seems like it'd be pretty safe

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue May 29, 07 5:33 pm     Reply with quote

Tomorrow Sauvies is supposed to see westerlies in the low teens. The only problem you might have tomorrow is keeping your kite in the air. But if it were to work, Sauvies is a great place to get out and body drag and even try board starts. Just make sure you're comfortable relaunching from the water, and know how to perform a self rescue in case you can't relaunch.

The guys out there are a great crowd so don't hesitate to ask questions either, cause in this sport there really is no such thing as a dumb question. When I first started kiting I'd even ask someone at random to inspect my setup before I launched.

Spike wrote:
I'm a bit scared of hood river because its an 11m kite and I have only 9 hours of experience. If the wind blows from the east will that make it more difficult? I am willing to head out there tomorrow if it isn't too risky as a beginner since current and wind will be going the same direction (and i dont want to end up downstream without a beach). If not, anybody ever carpool? I live about a mile from I-205 exit 14 in clackamas.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue May 29, 07 5:33 pm     Reply with quote

Oh, and make sure to stay down wind of everyone.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostTue May 29, 07 6:19 pm    11 is the ticket Reply with quote

The 11 at the spit will be money! Very Happy Thats my pride and joy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But the coast is the gold Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

As a beginner there is wide open goodness, beaches that are huge, no frickn rocks to climb up Evil or Very Mad

And the wind is much steadier.

And best of all, you now can rip in the ocean, where the landlord rules, and the renters are grateful for their rides. Very Happy

go for it, otherwise, fear brings doubt, doubt brings failure. Your choice!

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue May 29, 07 6:27 pm     Reply with quote

If you are worried about staying up wind at the spit (the gorge outside of hoodriver) then you should look at all of the pictures of the sandbar. Its huge!! Seriously, I saw a lot of people start at the western most edge - kite a while, and then walk back up after a while. Keep doing that until you can stay upwind. Hoodriver is good for this. Stay away from Stevensons until you can stay upwind because the take off and landing spot is really small and can be very dangerous.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed May 30, 07 7:49 am     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Tomorrow Sauvies is supposed to see westerlies in the low teens.

Sorry, I meant NWesterlies, I was a little drunk last night.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: