Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Is it safe to kite at the spit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostSun May 27, 07 5:32 am    Is it safe to kite at the spit? Reply with quote

Yesterday I drove down and watched the going ons at the event site and the spit. The time was around 3pm and I counted some 39 or more kites. The wind was gusty and light. I watched some guy on a north kite into and out of the 5 mph zone several times. He jumping, in my opinion, too close to several kites attempting to land and launch. He would then race into the clean water of and carve a turn within 30 feet of the event site.
His total disregard for the rules was frustrating to me as he represents a small minority of folks who don't give a crap about the rules. How do we, as kiters, enforce rules that keep people safe? Do we contact the port? Do we run down to him and have a confrontation? Who is going to step up and be the cop on busy days like yesterday?

The congestion of the event site plus the ego of a few show off kiters coming into close is going to lead to a major disaster if the zone is not enforced. It would be a good idea for CGKA to discuss enforcement of the rules.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 27, 07 10:44 am     Reply with quote

Dude I dont know who you are, but stop continually posting things complaining about the sandbar. Yeah there were a lot of kites out, some people were being idiots, one person payed the price for not knowing what he was doing. No kites became tangled, there were no conflicts (that i know of). The CGKA has done a great job so far, and know the issues at hand, they dont need you posting on a forum to open their eyes to the issues at the sandbar. You making new threads called death at the sanbar, and is it safe to kite at the spit? doesnt help things at all, it only makes it seem like the spit is dangerous all the time, and people should not kite there. Just go out and kite, but stay away from the sandbar cause it is just waaaaaaaay to dangerous...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostSun May 27, 07 2:26 pm     Reply with quote

It is our duty as humans and educated kiters to self patrol and help others. STEP IN when you see it is necessary. No one wants to see an accident happen. That's the bottom line.

I believe no bad can result from stepping in if you are doing it from the heart out of a safety concern for yourself and others.

I have been trying to help spread the message to kiters to stay clear of the area near the event site and why (a part of that is if the sheriff needs boat access to the event site, and he can't be navigating thru a bunch of tricking kiters and downed kitelines, and also to help congestion between all the recreation activities there).

Yet, I see some of the same people continue to buzz the event site. If more people spread the message I think it will help. It's easy to be self centered in this sport, but we all share the area and have to have some guidelines to make it 'work' as best possible for all the activity happening in that area.

If you have suggestions for making the sandbar better or safety issues, post or contact CGKA so they can compile, discuss and impliment.

I commend Phil's idea about banning old equipment that hasn't been updated to release at all body attachment points. I've run into countless new kiters who buy used, old equipment and, not knowing how recent the evolution of the sport and gear is, think it is fine and safe.

-Kirsten

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostSun May 27, 07 6:13 pm     Reply with quote

Kiters shouldn't be allowed there period, only jetski's and windsurfers. Shocked

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostSun May 27, 07 9:05 pm     Reply with quote

i agree with inept, please dont spread FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon May 28, 07 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

magicmaker wrote:
i agree with inept, please dont spread FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).

I couldn't agree more.

p.s. Your avatar is lame Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: