Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

CGKA statement: Sandbar accident Saturday eve. 6/26/07

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostSat May 26, 07 8:05 pm    CGKA statement: Sandbar accident Saturday eve. 6/26/07 Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I've been asked by the CGKA to post regarding the accident this evening, Saturday 6/26/07 at about 6pm or so, where an Caucasian unidentified male was dragged head first into one of the log piles on the outer east edge of the sandbar. We do know that he was alive when he was secured in the ambulance. That is the extent of the information we currently have.

I have also been asked to follow up with the woman who accompanied him in the ambulance. I will do this tomorrow, Sunday, and hope to have more information to post up then.

In the mean time, unless you have confirmed information beyond this, please do not speculate on the accident. Please contact CGKA or Kirsten if you were a witness to this incident.

*** IMPORTANT: CGKA please asks everyone to comply with the designated parking spaces at the Spit lot, so that we MAINTAIN A CLEAR FIRE/MEDIC VEHICLE LANE.

CGKA also advocates helmet use.

CGKA advocates that you do not kiteboard without at least 2 professional lessons.

Thank you,
Kirsten Andrews, CGKA member

Last edited by shredbarbie on Tue Sep 22, 09 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostSat May 26, 07 8:20 pm     Reply with quote

kiter is doing well at hospital without any major injurys.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostSat May 26, 07 8:29 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for posting kirsten. lets all hope for the best.

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostSat May 26, 07 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun May 27, 07 7:31 am     Reply with quote

I didn't see the first part of how he went down, but he basically went head first into a pretty nasty looking stump. The kite powered up and went all the way through the power zone crash landing. Immediately after he was unconscious, when he woke up he went into seizures. Then for awhile he was incoherent and trashing around (took a few guys to hold him down.)

By the time the paramedics got there he was starting to talk more coherently but he kept repeating himself. Finally after a few more minutes he was able to answer simple questions, wiggle his toes, etc.. Like Trevor said we called the hospital and he was going to be okay.

It really shook up the people who were there, not a fun way to end a really fun day.

A HUGE shoutout goes to kiter/surgeon Garret, who got down there quick after it happened before any EMT guys and was able to make sure the guy got what he needed.

What conclusions do I have from this? Well we need to get the remaining wood off of the sandbar is one thing. I thought the wood piles would be fine where they are and people could avoid them, apparently not.

Other thing is I didn't see the guy riding but he was on a bigger 2002 kite. I used to have the type of kite he did and they really didn't depower for shit (especially when compared to newer C or bow kites.) We should just straight up ban old gear. Its unsafe... you wouldn't drive on the freeway in a Model-T would you?

When we were leaving there was a guy trying to teach is friend on another old big 2002 kite. They were upwind of all of the wood piles and they kept crashing the kite hard in the water. I was thinking: That guy is next in the stretcher.

Don't let friends go out without lessons on old gear that should be retired. It may cost them some extra money but its cheaper than a lost life.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: