Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Humbled by my new 11m
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostWed May 23, 07 6:26 pm    Humbled by my new 11m Reply with quote

I have just pumped up my first ever kite, 11m Slingshot T2 and am a bit intimidated by it's size Shocked It's a bit bigger than the 4m kite I've used in the lessons. I was hoping to go out to Sauvies tomorrow around 4:30 to test it out if there is enough wind (not sure what enough wind is) It would be cool if there were some others out there since it would be my first time on my own time after lessons. is anybody else planning on going? The turds shouldn't be a problem anymore I assume.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed May 23, 07 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

Sauvies definitely might work tomorrow, it's forecasted NNW 13-17 which would be pretty good for that 11m.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed May 23, 07 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

What board do you have?

KingE

Since 27 Apr 2006
58 Posts
Lake Wenatchee

PostWed May 23, 07 7:16 pm     Reply with quote

Is a T2 a turbo diesel 2? If so....I had a good session on Lake Wenatchee yesterday. The water was cold and my hands got cold so I pulled the stopper ball down for the first time on my turbo diesels. I have never kited with a c kite. I learned just how much we rely on the ability to sheet out with bows. Your kite is going to be very forgiving! Have fun.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostWed May 23, 07 7:39 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
What board do you have?

Got a liquid force 151 the good ol' light wind beginner board. I've admitted to being a newbie, thats the first step Wink

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostWed May 23, 07 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

If wind and weather look promising I'll be at Sauvies on Thursday afternoon. Will have waverunner to rescue all wayward wind wiped wannabe wave riders. Very Happy

Diggy

Since 25 Nov 2006
342 Posts
Gorge to Coast
Obsessed

PostWed May 23, 07 8:41 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Will have waverunner to rescue all wayward wind wiped wannabe wave riders.

Us wind wiped wannabe wave riders certainly appreiate the help when its needed! Thanks.

Where is the best/closest place to launch a Wave runner to get to SI?

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed May 23, 07 8:52 pm     Reply with quote

If my harness comes in tomorrow morning/afternoon as scheduled (has to before I can head back this weekend), then I'll probably swing by Sauvies on the way home. Hope the weather's somewhat decent. Wanna ride out east in the heat this weekend!!! Cool

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostWed May 23, 07 9:22 pm     Reply with quote

Diggy wrote:
Quote:

Us wind wiped wannabe wave riders certainly appreiate the help when its needed! Thanks.

Since I live in Vancouver it's quicker to get to Sauvies on the waverunner. I launch just west of Frenchmens Bar at a Washington State fish and wildlife launch. If you use launch you will need a permit, or a fishing license.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu May 24, 07 6:01 am     Reply with quote

Diggy wrote:
Quote:

There's a ramp on the island, you take the first left right after you get off the bridge, then drive about 3 miles till you see a boat ramp sign, take a left. Its a really nice launch spot, the only problem is its on the total opposite side of the island from the kite beach. If you haul ass you can usually make it around in 15 minutes.

I think there is another ramp off of 30 before the Sauvies Island bridge which would be a little closer, but it always looked like a good place to get your car broken into.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostThu May 24, 07 7:34 am     Reply with quote

That is how you should feel. It is the guys that buy a kite and think it's no big deal that get in trouble. You have good equipment make sure you don't get to excited when you are setting up and double check your setup (the only times I have hooked up lines wrong was when I was in a hurrey) and get out their and have some fun.

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostThu May 24, 07 8:15 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

I thought there was a launch in the marina-area just before you get to the beach(like 5 min. before).....where the RV's are...and you get your first glimplse of the water...? It's just after the sign for Reeder Beach on the right-hand side. Very Happy

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostThu May 24, 07 8:28 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought there was a launch in the marina-area just before you get to the beach(like 5 min. before).....where the RV's are...and you get your first glimplse of the water...? It's just after the sign for Reeder Beach on the right-hand side.

I think that one is private and blocked off. Its a nice dock but I couldn't find a ramp anywhere. Anyone know if there is a public one by reeder beach

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu May 24, 07 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Bettyboarder wrote:
Quote:
I thought there was a launch in the marina-area just before you get to the beach(like 5 min. before).....where the RV's are...and you get your first glimplse of the water...? It's just after the sign for Reeder Beach on the right-hand side.

I think that one is private and blocked off. Its a nice dock but I couldn't find a ramp anywhere. Anyone know if there is a public one by reeder beach

I'm pretty sure the dock, cove area u all are talking about is owned by Portland Yachting Club. If your going towards Reeder beach, there is a parking lot on the right at or on mile post 7 (just beyond the 90 degree turns by about 1/2 mile). It is called Social Security Beach because a lot of SS folk go there to fish from the beach. Anyway, I think the parking lot and trailhead are about 10 yards from the beach/h20. I bet you could launch there, if it was quick. Probably not permitted. How many folks would it take to push the trailer and craft onto the beach/into the water? The beach upwind has some level paths and is very close.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu May 24, 07 9:41 am     Reply with quote

chanson wrote:
I thought there was a launch in the marina-area just before you get to the beach(like 5 min. before).....where the RV's are...and you get your first glimplse of the water...? It's just after the sign for Reeder Beach on the right-hand side. Very Happy

Yea, as Nicole said it's private. JP's uncle dropped his waverunner in their with us like 5 years ago so we could film out on the water. Didn't have a problem putting in, but as the 3 of us were pulling it out, this guy (POS - that probably lived across the road) came down, blocked us in with his truck, and called the cops. Being the crazy mothafucka Rik is, he just squeezed his way through and we hauled ass out of there!

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 24, 07 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

so, just a thought. I rmemember the first stages of my kiting (oh wait, i'm still there) but the point is that I wasn't scared of the big kites, they were slow and sloth like. But a eleven is a faster kite. Point beeing, I'm scared of the faster smaller kites that act like jedi swords!

anyways.......give'r hell!!!!!! Twisted Evil

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu May 24, 07 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

Hmmm... Should I head back? How's the wind looking? Live2Kite (though I still like them) sent me the second WRONG harness. My medium Warrior was correct, then 2 months later I order a small and they send me a windsurfing one. Call them, they next day out another, get it, it's another windsurfing one! Grrrr.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: