Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Crossbow size? 12m for everything?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
rhysen

Since 20 Jul 2005
20 Posts

PostTue Jul 26, 05 9:07 am    Crossbow size? 12m for everything? Reply with quote

The 12m says it has a range of 8 to 14 so why would I want a 9m for heavy winds when this thing depowers so far. Can't I use it in all conditions?

I think the greatest atribute of this kite is the range. Not having to blow up 2 kites everytime I go out would be awsome.

By the way, I am 180lbs.

The rep for Cabrinha said he wasn't sure if it would be too much kite in 30mph winds.

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 26, 05 9:51 am     Reply with quote

See Mark Shinn's review on 9 vs. 12. I think I'm going to order a 9m as I'm only 110lbs and want to fly it at Sauvies as well as Gorge and Coast. I was able to hold it down fairly well in 30mph gusts at the spit. I would think the 12 would be a perfect one kite quiver for your weight.

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2318373

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 26, 05 10:34 am     Reply with quote

Tonski,

My wife used the 9m Xbow just before you did, she is 120#'s and was able
to hold it easily in the 30kts. she is also getting one as her main kite.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue Jul 26, 05 11:30 am    Re: Crossbow size? 12m for everything? Reply with quote

rhysen wrote:
The 12m says it has a range of 8 to 14 so why would I want a 9m for heavy winds when this thing depowers so far. Can't I use it in all conditions?

I have not flown the kite yet..but have a question that maybe someone could answer.

You are flying a 12m crossbow in 25+ knots and the kite is in the power zone say doing a downloop with the kite, how does 25+ knots act on a kite striaght downwind of you. Isn't that just gonna kick your ass?

I can see when the kite is at the edge of the window sheeting a kite to almost zero power, but put that kite if front of you, 5 ft off the water, that is a lot of surface area for 25+ knots. Anyones thoughts?

Also what happens with that much kite LE down in the water?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jul 26, 05 5:24 pm     Reply with quote

Trevor - good question... I think you are right in that straight downwind of you in the middle of the zone the kite will always have pull just for the sheer fact that its catching some wind. However since the crossbow has the ability to spill out the wind by being sheeted out supposedly past netutral, where the AOA is negative, the pull should be minimal.

I saw Amery do a loop on the 9m on the beach the other day and not get tugged too much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: