Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foiling exclusively
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 21, 19 4:02 pm    Foiling exclusively Reply with quote

Like a lot of people, I've started to foil now for the majority of my kite sessions. It used to be just light wind, but now I foil in high winds and big swell too. Part the fun is the progression with all the new tricks and the smooth and novel feel of riding the foil. It is also so nice to go upwind with so little effort which makes it easy to explore.

That said, I still enjoy the occasional twin tip session for boosting and aerial tricks. I also really love my surfboards both on river swell and especially for ocean waves. I don't think I'll ever give up the surfboards.

So for those that have been foiling for a while now - how many of you foil exclusively? Has anyone become bored with the foil and hung it up to go back to twin tip or surfboard?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 21, 19 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

Every time I get back on my surfboard--twice in last two years--I end up feeling "eeeww" the surface is sooo bumpy!

Kinda done with being on the surface.

That said, it's my personality to get stubborn and "stick to one thing" when taking up a new sport. I do enjoy not having to drive to chase the "best" wind anymore, though.

Eric

Last edited by eric on Sat Jun 22, 19 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostFri Jun 21, 19 6:44 pm     Reply with quote

I still love to ride the surfboard! I foil in all sorts of wind conditions from light to heavy but will never give up the surfboard.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostFri Jun 21, 19 8:05 pm     Reply with quote

I could never just ride one craft exclusively, it would be like choosing blondes over brunettes or visa versa. Surfboards and foilboards are so different and yet both so fun that it only makes total sense to go with the best tool for the job given the conditions of the day.

Annotation 2019-06-21 205729.png 
   Annotation 2019-06-21 205818.png 

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSat Jun 22, 19 6:19 am    Pics Reply with quote

Windian

Those are some SWEET pics - worth at least 963 words each...making it look easy Smile

IMHO these are 1st world problems - haha Wink

but I did choose a brunette and we are exclusive -- so I'll have to keep my board choices open to future sampling to keep the cosmic scales in balance...

(>------------🏄🏽‍♂️

Cheers,

Mc

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat Jun 22, 19 7:43 am     Reply with quote

I'm at a stage in my foiling comparable to my transition from windsurfing to kiting. 19 years ago I started kiting 75% of the time windsurfing 25%. I would save the real windy days for windsurfing...but I was always saying to myself I wish I was kiting! So the kites got better and smaller and windsurfing went away. Now when I'm out on my surfboard (bouncy board) I wish I was foiling! My skill level isn't high enough to be foiling on a day like yesterday 30-40 mph, so I grudgingly pull out my surfboard. It was enjoyable but nothing like the magic carpet ride I crave every day. It has been so windy the last 2 weeks that I guess I will have to sell the house and move to Florida!

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 22, 19 8:00 am    Master Of None Reply with quote

I was foiling almost exclusively and then discovered riding a surf board or twin tip provides a serious work out Very Happy So now I try to mix it up foil , surf , twin tip .....who knows maybe even a wind wing ? Very Happy Very Happy

Windian ! your pictures are amazing , I too would surf if there are waves , foil when no waves

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSat Jun 22, 19 8:01 am     Reply with quote

Yes! Nice pics Windian!

In any kind of chop, I think I'm pretty stuck with the foil. But on smooth waves I'm not sure.

Our waves break so shallow I get nervous with my long mast to come in too close...plus I can't say I've really felt like I was 'riding' the wave with the foil...more just like I was 'on' it.

Windian, how long is your mast? Extra big wing? What makes you decide to wave foil vs. surfboard? Size of swell? Mood that day?

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Jun 22, 19 9:01 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:

Windian, how long is your mast? Extra big wing? What makes you decide to wave foil vs. surfboard? Size of swell? Mood that day?

I first started out running a 27" mast for going into shallow water inside the surf zone, but now I prefer riding a 32" mast and I just need to make sure I stay on foil through my transition when turning around to head back out through the waves. I like the longer mast as it is less likely to burp when going over a wave. Plus, the longer mast lets me get more aggressive with my turns and jibes. The penalty for missing an inside the surf transition with the longer mast is you now have to walk further out through the white wash zone to get into deep enough water for a water start.

I am not super proficient at foiling so I prefer a big, fat, and stable wing since I can at times ride at slower speeds and not outrun waves when riding them.

Generally speaking as to what craft to ride in the surf. I try to foil as much as I can, but it usually ends up being the high tide and small swell sessions only. If the surf is big and burly with heaving lips, then it is a no brainer to be out there with a surfboard.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 22, 19 5:50 pm     Reply with quote

Now you can all imagine your stories if you lived 4 hours up I-5 from choice Gorge conditions. I've sort of painted myself into a corner (that I Love) with all %100 foiling.
There have been innumerable weekends over the past 3 years where I've warned my wife on Tuesday that I'm taking off... Only to then have 3 days of Foil Joy at home in Tacoma.
The increasing traffic, the pleasure of hometown kiting... it's all different now.
Oh... and I too try too experienced knee fatigue getting back on the surface.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jun 23, 19 8:15 am     Reply with quote

Curious...what size kites would you want in your quiver if you were looking to foil 100% of the time in the gorge. What would your ideal 4 kite quiver include..

mamann

Since 16 Jul 2007
74 Posts
Gorge East

PostSun Jun 23, 19 9:27 am     Reply with quote

I'm going on my 4th season of exclusive foiling in the gorge. Originally started foiling to enjoy light wind(<20mph). Then quickly found surfing swell on the foil is where it's at.

Problem was that when the swell is huge, so is the wind. Before I got smaller kites I surfed a few times in high wind, but the sticky feeling of a board on the water just wasn't what I wanted anymore(didn't realize until after foiling all the time).

To me high wind foiling is great, only if I have the right size kite. I used to ride overpowered as there was no other choice with larger kites, but now that I have smaller kites foiling is even more enjoyable.

I ended up buying Clouds, as no one else has a proper gorge foil quiver IMO.
My money kite is the 2.8M. I fly this from low to high 20's MPH average, so I'm on this 75% of the time. If it's high 20's or higher, I'm on my 2.2M. Once it hits 35MPH ave or higher I'm wanting a smaller kite(still waiting on a 1.7M)

Ideal gorge quiver for me(200lbs):
2.2M(30+MPH),
2.8M(22-30MPH),
3.7M(17-22MPH),
4.8M(14-17MPH) Clouds.
Have yet to fly my 6M or 8M.

I've also been flying 23m lines standard, as it seems to give a little more low end for water starts and generating power through lulls.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 23, 19 11:48 am     Reply with quote

mamann wrote:
I'm going on my 4th season of exclusive foiling in the gorge. Originally started foiling to enjoy light wind(<20mph). Then quickly found surfing swell on the foil is where it's at.

Problem was that when the swell is huge, so is the wind. Before I got smaller kites I surfed a few times in high wind, but the sticky feeling of a board on the water just wasn't what I wanted anymore(didn't realize until after foiling all the time).

To me high wind foiling is great, only if I have the right size kite. I used to ride overpowered as there was no other choice with larger kites, but now that I have smaller kites foiling is even more enjoyable.

I ended up buying Clouds, as no one else has a proper gorge foil quiver IMO.
My money kite is the 2.8M. I fly this from low to high 20's MPH average, so I'm on this 75% of the time. If it's high 20's or higher, I'm on my 2.2M. Once it hits 35MPH ave or higher I'm wanting a smaller kite(still waiting on a 1.7M)

Ideal gorge quiver for me(200lbs):
2.2M(30+MPH),
2.8M(22-30MPH),
3.7M(17-22MPH),
4.8M(14-17MPH) Clouds.
Have yet to fly my 6M or 8M.

I've also been flying 23m lines standard, as it seems to give a little more low end for water starts and generating power through lulls.

That's interesting how small those clouds are. I fly drifters because they crossover nicely to surfboard and wave riding. 5.5 is my smallest kite but since moving to the 633 wing I find I never need anything bigger than a 7 and my 5.5 is too big for a lot of bigger gorge days. What wing are you flying with your clouds? It sounds as if you area very experienced foiler - does advanced technique allow you to fly on smaller clouds? I know Greg Drexler prefers the smallest kite possible for the conditions for his (amazing) riding style.

kiterland

Since 11 Aug 2009
143 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jun 23, 19 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

Just sold my Vader surfboard. It was too sticky and bumpy after the foiling experience.100% foiling now. Just downsized my quiver size to 4m and 6m SST. Those clouds sure look appealing!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Jun 23, 19 5:24 pm     Reply with quote

I am 185lbs and just foiling now. I have 4/5/6/7/9 SST's. Never use my 9 for foiling in the Gorge--as in 1 time in the last two years. My 7 maybe 5 sessions per summer, all east wind. My 5/6 get the lion's share of days, but i'd say mostly 5m. I use the 4 when it's averaging high 20's and up. I am on the 633 wing.

For a person my size on the 633, I think you could go with three kites, all at 7m and smaller. Some friends of mine go 4/6, but I can't imagine not having a 5m, so I have too many kites.

I am hopeful that SS will come out with a 3m that works for big guys. Maybe the Z? Have not tried it. That said, I can ride the 4m SST in a lot of wind, but a 3m would allow me to relax a bit in gusts over 40
Eric

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostSun Jun 23, 19 7:02 pm     Reply with quote

I am with Windian ... use the tool that's best for the job. There no style police enforcing exclusivity, and there's no bonus points earned for giving up fun options for no good reason.

But back to OP: I've been foiling pretty hard last few years, in anything other than surf conditions. Been a very pleasant surprise to find that a light wind toy is actually way more fun in high winds when the swells are rolling. However, lately, with repeated sessions, the "same old" syndrome is starting to force a need for variety, mixing it up with the other boards. So yeah, I guess I am starting to foil a little less consistently maybe.

mamann

Since 16 Jul 2007
74 Posts
Gorge East

PostSun Jun 23, 19 7:13 pm     Reply with quote

I'm on a Lift 150 on a 3'6" DC. Same range on the Lift 110, Slingshot 633, and 683. On the 590 I needed to be up a size. On the 633 you don't need much kite to get up or stay on foil.

Most people ride a size or 2 larger than me. It's just personal preference. I use the kite mainly to get around from swell to swell. I'd rather fly the kite to get power than park and ride. If I have enough kite to water start, then I have enough kite to have fun.

The Clouds have seem to have more low end or power generating ability than the RPM and definitely more than a SST. They seem to be equivalent to a 1-2M larger kite.

When you get into the higher winds and smaller sizes it's harder to skip sizes, as the gaps get more noticeable.

I have seen many more people flying 3M Z kites this season, as a 3M is a must for most if you want to have fun foiling high winds in the gorge. Feedback says that the 3M Z works great. You can't get rid of your 4M if you get a 3M though. For most people, if you want the most range in 4 kites then 3M,4m,6M,9M can get you from flat water(>12MPH) to big swell. If you want more dialed higher wind quiver, then 3M,4M,5M,7M is probably better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: