Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Theft Season
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat Jun 01, 19 3:18 pm    Theft Season Reply with quote

It’s that time of year again at the event site. A friend left his cloud kite bag and large pump under the trees. After his session both were missing.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 01, 19 3:36 pm     Reply with quote

Yep...

I don't even leave my kite bag on the grass anymore, let alone my pump, or sandals, or...

Bummer

Lock it up in your car and use a lock box for keys. I no longer trust the key on the wheel, under the bumper etc method.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lock+boxes+for+keys&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8rbqsbnJ4gIVFtRkCh10uQADEAAYAiAAEgK23vD_BwE&hvadid=174224213898&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9032850&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=18237190421251194958&hvtargid=kwd-5010812685&hydadcr=8435_9618948&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_69c9a90t3s_e

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Jun 02, 19 9:44 am     Reply with quote

Has anyone found a reliable waterproof pouch to hold a key fob around your neck? I've used Aquapac, but sometimes those fill with water without warning.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun Jun 02, 19 11:16 am     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Has anyone found a reliable waterproof pouch to hold a key fob around your neck? I've used Aquapac, but sometimes those fill with water without warning.

Nak, be kind to the environment, no plastic pouches/bags. Learn how to kiester your FOB.
Shocked Laughing Razz

Link
[/url]

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 02, 19 11:34 am     Reply with quote

[url]HitchSafe HS7000 Key Vault https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I66JEM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_4pc9CbP14MVBZ[/url]

If you have a heavy duty hitch, this works great. Mine is going on five years with no issues.

Dog poop and thieves, the season is officially started.

earthsurfer526

Since 11 Jan 2009
54 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostSun Jun 02, 19 7:21 pm     Reply with quote

I lock my fob in my car using a faraday bag. then keep a metal key just to open the door secured to my harness.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1C21O2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the_pinkbandit

Since 03 Jun 2019
5 Posts
Shoreline, WA
Kook

PostMon Jun 03, 19 8:09 am     Reply with quote

[quote="eric"]Yep...

I don't even leave my kite bag on the grass anymore, let alone my pump, or sandals, or...

Bummer

Lock it up in your car and use a lock box for keys. I no longer trust the key on the wheel, under the bumper etc method.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lock+boxes+for+keys&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8rbqsbnJ4gIVFtRkCh10uQADEAAYAiAAEgK23vD_BwE&hvadid=174224213898&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9032850&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=18237190421251194958&hvtargid=kwd-5010812685&hydadcr=8435_9618948&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_69c9a90t3s_e[/quote]

The Masterlock lock is PRIME. Perfect tool for the kiter not wanting to bring their keys on the water. Although it isn't the kiter way to steal... it happens. Took one theft for me to figure it out and to never leave my stuff out at the event site again. Fits perfectly on the hitch ring of my car.

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostMon Jun 03, 19 10:15 am     Reply with quote

+2 master lock. I attach it to my bike rack. I also keep a spare exterior key in my baggie shorts pocket. Maybe a bit paranoid, but less stressful. I use a similar system for b/c skiing...

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Jun 03, 19 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

The safest place for your key is in your prison wallet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

esommer

Since 17 Aug 2016
64 Posts
PDX

CGKA Member

PostSat Jun 08, 19 10:43 pm    Large lock box Reply with quote

Has anyone found an outside-of-the-vehicle lock box that is large enough for a phone?

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 12, 19 2:17 pm    Man Sized Safe for iPhone Reply with quote

This should work...

But it's a bitch to load and unload Shocked

Mc

Man Sized Safe.png 

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Jun 12, 19 3:20 pm     Reply with quote

I sure miss the key pad entry of the Ford I used to have!

My solution was to get a "dumb" copy of my key. It opens the door and the alarm goes off, but I keep the FOB right there so I can quickly hit the unlock button and the alarm stops.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jun 20, 19 3:52 pm     Reply with quote

Ford's rock - and you can find the OEM keyless pad on amazon for $75

if using a masterlock or other lockbox - i put the keyfob in there and hide the key inside the car somewhere (assuming your key fob doesnt start the car)

in so cal they figured how to smash your obvious lockbox open and steal your car - bastards!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 20, 19 5:49 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I have the hitch safe on my Blazer, but my Juke won't take a 2" receiver. Plus, the Faraday bags don't seem reliable enough. If my key is near the car, the car is unlocked. If my key is in the car, it won't lock and it starts with a push button. Shocked

I think what I'm going to do is vacuum seal a key fob and carry that sealed fob in an aquapac. That way the key is with me. As long as the vacuum seal is good, the sealed bag will be waterproof.

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostFri Jun 21, 19 3:20 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Plus, the Faraday bags don't seem reliable enough. If my key is near the car, the car is unlocked. If my key is in the car, it won't lock and it starts with a push button.

My car is similar, quite a hassle for kiting. These days I put my key in a zip lock bag (sandwich bag) and press the air out, roll it up and stick it in my sleeve. Only really works with a full suit - small drybag in the boardshorts is the other option I use when not in the full suit.

earthsurfer526

Since 11 Jan 2009
54 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostSun Jun 23, 19 6:25 am     Reply with quote

Yes some faraday bags are not as reliable as other. The current bag I have works great, yet you can also double bag the fob which is completely effective. I have also seen some faraday metal boxes that valets use, yet I have not found one to try.

I would shy away for ziplocking the fob and having it on your person. I know that my fob is very expensive and a hassle to replace. I feel that it is cheaper to spend 20 on a good faraday bag and not risk losing your fob.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 02, 19 2:06 pm     Reply with quote

Have seen a bunch of waterproof phone bags around for cheap, including on a table in front of NSI for $4 when I was at NYCSS for lunch earlier.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: