Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Picking a Wetsuit for the Oregon Coast
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dirtybackside

Since 02 Aug 2011
72 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Apr 26, 19 11:33 am     Reply with quote

My go to is the Patagonia R3 Front Zip - its 4.5/3.5 and super warm. I think you can get it with or without a hood - I prefer an attached hood cause I'm a wussy

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostFri Apr 26, 19 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

central coast looking slabby Cool

I’m a 5/4 user with a hood. No visual problems with the hood.
Fit is key so try them on. Hotline fits me perfect. They have so many in-between sizes.
I go thru a pair of booties a year on a surfboard. All that energy from the sky goes right through your feet.
I’m a professional bootie killer. I need a bootie sponsor.

Nevo

PostSat Apr 27, 19 5:45 am     Reply with quote

infinitysa wrote:
Thanks for the great advice. Since the 5/4s all have hoods, can you peel it back comfortably, and does it get in the way while up? I used a hooded wetsuit that I found really annoying and would get in my peripheral vision, but maybe the newer, stretchier materials make the hood not so cumbersome?

I use the O'neill Mutant. You can get it in 5/4. If you want the hood, keep it on, if you want a standard top, just remove the hood and use the standard top. I love it.

Mine is 4/3 (I do well with the cold) and I always use the hood at the coast. Right now I use the hood in the gorge but usually I take it off sometime in May for gorge riding.

The only thing I don't love about the hood is that the "bill" on the hood has never been straight. It bothers me when I first put it on but as soon as I'm up and riding it disappears from my mind.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostSat Apr 27, 19 11:03 am     Reply with quote

I have been windsurfing and kiting the Oregon Coast for over 25 years. I always use a 5/4 hooded suit. It can get warm a few days of the year. If you have bad day swim, you will be thankful for it.

laura

Since 22 May 2007
106 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Apr 27, 19 4:17 pm    5/4 all day long Reply with quote

I too ride the coast a lot ,early season in the Gorge, and late season. No question I always stay warm in a hooded 5/4/3 and booties.. I am now riding in a Ride Engine Elara It's been a great suit thus far. I love the stretch and I feel like its as warm as the other outstanding cold water suits I have had over the years. Hope that helps.

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostTue Apr 30, 19 5:08 am     Reply with quote

My newer 5/4/3 Ion Strike works great in cold water (coast). It’s only my hands and feet that get cold. I don’t like to wear gloves or booties kiting so that is the trade off.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu May 02, 19 2:47 pm     Reply with quote

Aeolus wrote:
central coast looking slabby Cool

I’m a 5/4 user with a hood. No visual problems with the hood.
Fit is key so try them on. Hotline fits me perfect. They have so many in-between sizes.
I go thru a pair of booties a year on a surfboard. All that energy from the sky goes right through your feet.
I’m a professional bootie killer. I need a bootie sponsor.

i used to use hotline booties, really like the tread, but would go thru them quick - having better luck with patagucci booties

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: