Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Looking for some kite buddies!
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 24, 05 8:06 pm    Looking for some kite buddies! Reply with quote

Hi All,

I didn’t know that this site existed until I was told about it on ikitesurf.com! I am new to the sport, and am looking to meet some cool people to ride with! I live in Portland, but will most likely be heading out to Hood River on the weekends. I did hear about night sessions at Sauvie Island though..... I didn’t realize that it was windy enough there!?! I'm assuming a 14m+ kite is needed!

Anyway, just wanting to meet some people who are fun to hang with, and know the good spots to ride (if you don’t mind giving away your fav spot)!

Kite hard and kite safe! Very Happy

Josh

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostSun Jul 24, 05 8:57 pm    Go to Sauvies Reply with quote

Hello Gaper,

Please stay west of Stevenson. There are too many yuppies coming out from PDX already, we don't need one more. The wind is gusty and shifty here anyway. If you do come out, have fun crowding an already crowded place.

"Who said something 'bout oil? Bitch, you cookin?"

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Jul 24, 05 9:38 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Josh -
kitebeaches.com has pretty much all the major spots on it...

Sauvies is usually good whenever its clear skies in Portland. Check it out, good spot. Thumb's Up

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostSun Jul 24, 05 11:55 pm     Reply with quote

West of Stevenson is best.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostMon Jul 25, 05 6:24 am     Reply with quote

What is up with the West of Stevenson replies?
Are we starting a Gorge Only Kiter group? PDX need not apply?

mit_noslrac

Since 17 May 2005
108 Posts
Bend Oregon
Stoked

PostMon Jul 25, 05 6:39 am    Re: Go to Sauvies Reply with quote

Scriffler wrote:
Hello Gaper,

Please stay west of Stevenson. There are too many yuppies coming out from PDX already, we don't need one more. The wind is gusty and shifty here anyway. If you do come out, have fun crowding an already crowded place.

"Who said something 'bout oil? Bitch, you cookin?"

Hey Scriffler,

I guess since you own everything East of Stevenson, we the people of the greater Portland area should stay away from Mt. Hood in the winter also eh? Please stay in Washington, we dont need people like you in Oregon!

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostMon Jul 25, 05 6:50 am     Reply with quote

Hey Josh,

ignore the people that say you can't kite in "Their" area. But I guess that makes you and us PDX riders a defender of the Coastal spots, which is some of the best kiting anyways.

But here are some links for wind sensors:
http://nwkite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=116&highlight=

Plus you can also check the Wind Sensor link above too

Last edited by trevorsmith on Mon Jul 25, 05 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 25, 05 8:56 am     Reply with quote

Man, I had no idea that people are so territorial about their spots! Surprised Anyway, I am just looking to meet some cool people and have a good time kiting. Its not like I am going to bring the army with me, its just myself. And besides, if you are more worried about losing your spot to another rider, rather than meeting someone cool and who is interested in learning the tips/tricks of the trade, well thats just sad! Cool

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostMon Jul 25, 05 9:08 am     Reply with quote

DOn't worry about those kiters, they are just bitter, cause they can't ride up wind yet to get out of the clumps of people at the spit.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Jul 25, 05 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Maybe we need to have a "critical mass SUV" group from Portland do a ride to the spit.

www.naishkites.com

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jul 25, 05 10:00 am     Reply with quote

jbruxer wrote:
Man, I had no idea that people are so territorial about their spots!

It's called Gorgeitude and it's not allowed west of Stevenson.

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Jul 25, 05 11:19 pm     Reply with quote

trevorsmith wrote:
I guess that makes you and us PDX riders a defender of the Coastal spots,

Bwah-ha ha! The only place PDX riders are defenders of is Sauvies and the interstate traffic lanes you sit in during your commute.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jul 26, 05 7:17 am     Reply with quote

Chill dudes... Some of you guys bashing Sauvies might want to give it a try. I see Amery Bernard out there most nights, and if I recall he won the Gorge Games last year...

PDX kiters have to put in a lot of highway time if they want to get as many days as the guys who live in the Gorge. I've been going 4-5 days a week since early season. Getting to work at 7am so I can beat the traffic and driving past Hood River most days (cause the wind doesn't die as early) then all the way back after.

I'd say that is worth some respect...

There are also plenty of days when the Gorge is shutdown but Sauvies is going. Do you guys just sit around and watch Oprah on those days? Wink

Also "West of Stevenson," well that includes Rooster Rock... Rooster Rock has some spectacular high winds, and flat water. It will spank you like none other, you should give it a try sometime.

Ahhh anyway I got to go back to work...

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostTue Jul 26, 05 10:43 pm    PDX Crew Reply with quote

Hey administrator. You make a good point in naming Amery(Jeff too), he rips. If more Portland riders rode like him I might not be so territorial. I am just used to my sheltered little redneck world and get mad when 20+ gapers show up and dominate my(even though technically I do not own it) quiet beach. For the person who wants me to stay out of Oregon, I only cross the bridge to use I-84. Also keep in mind this forum is about fun(for me) and all my comments are tongue in cheek.

"So dope it's disgusting."
Razz

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jul 27, 05 12:47 am     Reply with quote

Scrif - Plenty of gapers from the Gorge even, I don't think stereotyping Portland is fair in that respect. Don't forget too that if it wasn't for gapers there wouldn't likely be a "kiteboarding industry" like we have. Gear, sponserships, R&D is all driven by growth (and thus newbies.)

Reality is this industry is fueled by guys who kite barely 2 times a month. Heck I am down here in San Diego right now and I can't believe people even try down here. 1 kiteable day a week if they are lucky and that's on 20m kites. But heck I'll be damned if there wasn't a bunch of guys on the beach today trying to make it work in 10mph winds. All on their $1200 rigs.

Speaking of tongue-n-cheek, how about this thread? I think it's a joke. Wink

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostWed Jul 27, 05 8:56 pm    the definition of a Gaper Reply with quote

Since we're not going to find 'Gaper' in a dictionary, and more importantly I feel the need to rant (and I happen to possess an understanding of the historic import of the term at least from as far back as 1986), I'm afraid it's time for TBickleR to weigh-in...
Unfortunately for you, the reader, I've got a lot on my mind...because today I witnessed what I consider to be the absolute definition of the word Gaper.
1) I first heard the term at Mt. Hood Meadows in 1986. It wasn't used to insult a skier's ability. The term was used to describe the attitude of the offending party. ...And that attitude was this: "I am the man ." "I am the shit" or updated for the early 2000's "I am the shizwizzle." The facts were far from this; the offending party was completely oblivious to the cold and hard reality. And that cold and hard reality was that either that they sucked or... (far worse) they sucked+. And that's exactly what I witnessed today: suck+.
2) The Scene: Hood River hits 100 degrees at 4:00 p.m., no wind, just a sweltering, sticky, and aweful state of affairs. By 4:30 p.m. a very slight, but steady westerly pulse is felt. By 5:00 p.m. it's blowing 17 mph with 99 degree air temp. And all of Hood River hits the water: motor boats, jet skis, kids & parents swimming from the marina, new kiters, old kiters, pro kiters, the US Windsurfing National Championship's first heats from the Event Site, along with the usual Wednesday night sailboat race series. It was a really fun night to be on the water, but one where you really oughta' be using your best common sense to navigate through it all.
3) The Offending Party: Dude on a large Naish Torch. He spots a mother and three kids wading in the shallows just east of the eastern most sandbar. Tool/Gaper/Dumbfuck buries a rail and loads-up...25 feet upwind of the 3 kids and mom. He uncorks and air straight over all of them and lands downwind of them. I was absolutely stunned, shocked, pissed-off, and...well....still thinking about it 3 hours later and marveling that we have this kind of idiot amongst us.
In my book, this tool is the definition of achieving self-actualized Gaperdom; too cool-for-school and dangerous.

If DangerD has targets, this is the kinda' feller you oughta be gunning for.

dangerD

Since 27 Jun 2005
223 Posts
Bingen Heights
Stoked

PostThu Jul 28, 05 7:49 am     Reply with quote

Yes we will get him. And all you citiots that dont like territoriallity should stay on your territory. Its the only safe thing to do. After you drive 100 miles for wind (every 200 miles kills one Iraqi baby) and crowd our spots, and make a bad name for kiting, you dump your garbage and head back to Ptown to post your 'rad' pictures so more people will show up tomorrow. The Scrif is a bitch but makes good points. Respect is something earned. You city folks should respect the locals and quit abusing and advertising our secret treasures. Seriously
How about the critical mass SUV rally? You can drive around in circles honking. Im seeing american flags and 'support the troops' ribbons flying.. ahh. Innocent people are dying everyday so you guys can drive these guzzlers! Its time to say thanks. You should crowd downtown HR and make it so locals cant even get to work. Oh wait, this happens everyday all summer! See you at the coffee shop beotch!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: