Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

secret spot
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostThu Apr 04, 19 12:06 pm    secret spot Reply with quote

ODOT is working there today...looks like they might be extending the guard rail to close off parking.
Stay tuned.
Confused Sad

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 04, 19 2:38 pm     Reply with quote

We'll ask around. Might know a guy at Hwy Patrol or Dalles Development who may have info for us.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Apr 05, 19 7:43 am     Reply with quote

They're replacing damaged guardrails on both sides of 84 from The Dalles to Mosier and are using Secrets wider parking area to park work rigs overnight.

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostThu Apr 11, 19 4:43 pm    toast Reply with quote

The new guard rail is now the standard distance from the freeway fog line = goodbye Secret Spot. There is no longer a place to park off of the side of the freeway.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Apr 12, 19 6:32 am    RIP Secret Reply with quote

4Stringer/KipWinger wrote:
The new guard rail is now the standard distance from the freeway fog line = goodbye Secret Spot. There is no longer a place to park off of the side of the freeway.

It's brutal. New rail stretches the entire distance and additional "no parking signs" were installed. I pulled over to take a photo of the carnage. (Looking East)

IMG_6107.jpeg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_6107.jpeg
 Filesize:  940.93 KB
 Downloaded:  992 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Apr 12, 19 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

Sad Sad Mad This is the second spot lost to this crap. Camas used to be a great east wind spot... I just love government's "You are too stupid. We must protect you from yourself." attitude. The best part is the politicians & bureaucrats with this attitude generally lack the brain power to know how to wipe their own a@#.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 12, 19 12:39 pm     Reply with quote

All the more reason to join and support the CGWA. This time it was ODOT,
next time could be Burlington Northern RR. Or WADOT.

Lyle and the wunderbar have some of the same issues.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 12, 19 12:55 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
All the more reason to join and support the CGWA. This time it was ODOT,
next time could be Burlington Northern RR. Or WADOT.

Lyle and the wunderbar have some of the same issues.

Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

BioDude83

Since 22 Aug 2015
43 Posts
Portland, OR

PostSun Apr 14, 19 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

This is such a bummer. Definitely a very sad day.. maybe I'll cry in secret. Time to start private boat rides up to secret. Anyone? Sad Sad Sad

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostSun Apr 14, 19 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

This would be a great opportunity for the CGWA to work with ODOT and establish new access down to the secret spot beach.

Support the CGWA!

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Apr 14, 19 7:32 pm     Reply with quote

Are both sides covered with the new guard for I've pared on the other side and illegally crossed over by foot a couple of times. Also, what is the legal issues if one parked a motorcycle on the other side of the guard rail? Looks like Rowena is the only option for accessing the waves.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSun Apr 14, 19 7:38 pm     Reply with quote

cpc219 wrote:
This would be a great opportunity for the CGWA to work with ODOT and establish new access down to the secret spot beach.

Support the CGWA!

Any efforts to gain Secret access again would be great but where the parking would be is a tough call since the closest legal parking is now up at the Discovery Center. I see Secrets demise as an awakening for the CGWA to put more focus on Rowena kite launch improvements, a very underutilized gem with established accommodations and no ODOT or railroad worries. I drive by it everyday and 2-3 kites up is considered busy.

Rowena, Doug's and Secret are all in the same neighborhood of river swell similar to how the Event Site, Wunderbar and top of Wells Island triangle out. People complain about Gorge congestion but don't realize there is basically another section of river 10 minutes East of HR with stellar wind and more Sun.

Cody, you've put solid time into Rowena and since it's basically in both our back yards I'll find the time to show support when those CGWA discussions take place because your input will be invaluable.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Apr 16, 19 9:55 am     Reply with quote

The CGKA has had some meetings over the past few years with members from the Dalles Economic Development committee and other Dalles representatives who would like very much to find a way to make Secret Spot an accessible park location for all users. Ideally, the last discussions were about working on trail system from the Discover Center.
Alternatively, we have had a contact who works for the Highway Patrol drop by the shop every once in a while to give us updates on the turn off space. The Highway patrol had no issues with the parking access (they look at this spot the same as they look at other roadside spots that are left open to allow access for fishermen to reach the river by foot). The only issues they had were with the parking not being maintained within the two signs and the beginning of cars parking on the opposite side of the highway and kiters running across the traffic (ie - majorly bad game of Frogger).

This kite spot and it's future access concerns were listed as a part of the hand off from the CGKA to the CGWWA. As for if it is pursued into the future, that is very specifically up to those of you who are signing up as new members.
Write an email of note, as a paying member of the CGWWA, and request that this site be specifically recognized as a launch site that the membership would like to have looked into for continued user access.

This is a new type of organization that is taking on new responsibilities and will need to hear from it's membership about what they want and need.

Pepi

Sella wrote:
cpc219 wrote:

Support the CGWA!

Any efforts to gain Secret access again would be great but where the parking would be is a tough call since the closest legal parking is now up at the Discovery Center. I see Secrets demise as an awakening for the CGWA to put more focus on Rowena kite launch improvements, a very underutilized gem with established accommodations and no ODOT or railroad worries. I drive by it everyday and 2-3 kites up is considered busy.

Rowena, Doug's and Secret are all in the same neighborhood of river swell similar to how the Event Site, Wunderbar and top of Wells Island triangle out. People complain about Gorge congestion but don't realize there is basically another section of river 10 minutes East of HR with stellar wind and more Sun.

Cody, you've put solid time into Rowena and since it's basically in both our back yards I'll find the time to show support when those CGWA discussions take place because your input will be invaluable.

www.Purestokesports.com

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 17, 19 8:26 am     Reply with quote

30+_ years working the freeways construction and maintenance to WSDOT. Please don't walk across 4 lanes and a median Jersey Barrier. I've seen first-hand what happens when things don't work out as planned. Half those people driving on I-84 are texting or blowing a .10.
Kip Wylie

cgw2

Since 12 Oct 2006
18 Posts

PostWed Apr 17, 19 10:10 am    Secrets/Squally Point Guardrail Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, here's what's happening at Secret Spot. Due to bad parking, people crossing the interstate on foot and ODOT needs for safe barriers in the winter, they are extending the guardrail, effectively eliminating highway access to SS. While the land at Squally Point is owned by Ore St Parks, there is also a rail line to walk across, so Parks is not in a position to gain water access with an alternate trail to the beach there either. The CGW2 (as we are now named) has advocated in the past to support Squally Point access, but for now it looks like a boat trip from Mayer Park or the Dalles or Lyle to get there legally. On another front, we are working with Wa St Parks to extend Doug's Beach access eastward of the rocky point and have permission to create a trail and remove invasive plants to improve the "rugs" area access. We did create with (Cody's help last year) a pump and dry area at the east end of Rowena during our spring cleanup and those efforts continue as well. As far as other access points go, please come and help this Saturday at Viento at 9am for brush and root ball removal, and next Saturday the 27th at Blackberry Beach in Cascade Locks for similar efforts to improve access for all the user groups whose common interests we advocate and work hard for. We also need your membership in CGW2 to strengthen our voice and our efforts on everyone's behalf. cgw2.org is where to find us. I know this is a rare forum post, as I find actual work on these issues more helpful than writing about them. Contact me at the CGW2 office if you need or have more information to help us in our work. Fair winds, Bart Vervloet, Exec. Dir. CGW2 541-386-9225

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostWed Apr 17, 19 10:51 am    Dougs Reply with quote

Bart,

Thanks for the input. I never kited Squally Point. So I don't have an opinion on that other than parking along I84 was not something I wanted to do.

Back when windsurfing was in its prime. Dougs was well used and much effort/energy went into the parking, official RR crossing, coordination with Wa Parks, etc.

Dougs is underutilized by kiters, for obvious reasons. Any improvements in access for kiters would be great and would allow easy access to the same water as Squally Point.

I have not kited Dougs, addressing launching/landing safety would make this a high value spot in my opinion. I have not explored east of the traditional launch but like the idea.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Apr 17, 19 11:29 am    Re: Secrets/Squally Point Guardrail Reply with quote

cgw2 wrote:
Contact me at the CGW2 office if you need or have more information to help us in our work. Fair winds, Bart Vervloet, Exec. Dir. CGW2 541-386-9225

Bart, appreciate the update and thank you for chiming in. Every kiter on this forum near and far will benefit from what you're trying to bring together in the Gorge. My hope is the kiter support helps raise the bar for existing, or future, access points up and down the river. Thumb's Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: