Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Advice on first kite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostSun May 13, 07 10:22 am    Advice on first kite Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
I am curently searching for my first kite: a 9 m^2. I live in portland and am looking at a bow or SLE kite. I have visited the shops in hood river. I am debating between the NAISH BOXER SLE, the SLINGSHOT TURBO DIESEL 2, or possibly a GK kite. Im looking for something that is durable considering I'm new to kiteboarding and will most likely end up smashing it into the water a lot, as well as safe. Big jumps are not realy a priority for me... yet. I would greatly appreciate any useful advice,

thanks

Last edited by Spike on Sun May 13, 07 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostSun May 13, 07 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

I am not familar w/ those kites but buy your small kite first.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun May 13, 07 1:59 pm     Reply with quote

You're going to have some problems asking that kinda question on here... These type of posts normally get locked 'cause of all the shit they create (ie. people's bias, etc.). You can ask about it on Kiteforum.com, but it'd be best to just demo the kites and see what you think for yourself...

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun May 13, 07 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

mackalaroo@hotmail.com wrote:
but buy your small kite first.

Yeah, without talking about this brand vs. that brand....

I think it's a mistake to only own a 9m for too long. I struggled for my first year and a half because all I had was a 9m. I thought something was wrong with me and was ready to give it up. Then I finally got a 13M and my first day on it I was staying up with and making jibes and going...wow...this really is fun.

I also wouldn't automatically go for a new kite...only because your going to thrash your first kites and no sense buying the latest most expensive. You can find great deals on some traditional C's right now and these kites will help you learn some valuable gust management and edging skills.

My .02

kitekid

Since 15 Apr 2007
170 Posts

Stoked

PostSun May 13, 07 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

ill sell you a first kite that is a good del 300$ kite complete airush flow 04 very smooth kite ask any one out there who has flown one

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun May 13, 07 4:40 pm     Reply with quote

kites are by and large more alike than they are different.

i have flown naish, slinghsot, north, gk, cabrinhna, bow, sle and traditional. all have a slightly different feel, some have slightly more or less fit and finish. but any passionate arguement regarding one kite's superiority over another has always reminded me of the "my highschool is better than your highschool" line of thought: adolescent.

take home message: fly as many kites as you can. and buy what works for you.

and welcome to what i like to call the salvation navy.

jimmi

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun May 13, 07 7:04 pm     Reply with quote

yes! Katu, Slither, and Shasta all speak thruth... we got kinda an unofficial ban on "what brand kite to buy" threads ... and there is a no "this kite vs. that kite" threads.

tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostSun May 13, 07 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

Go to the Gorge Performance Sauvie's Demo on Tues 5-15.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-4443.html

Try many different kites. Speak to many people with varying oppinions and make up your own mind.

Nice thing is there are lots of good kites available these days, in a variety of designs for a variety of budgets.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostSun May 13, 07 8:05 pm     Reply with quote

I'll head out to sauvies tuesday to check out some kites, thanks for the advice on the "what brand to buy" forum posting. makes sense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: