Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiteboarding Cars. Subarus?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri May 11, 07 2:24 pm    Kiteboarding Cars. Subarus? Reply with quote

OK, not cars that kiteboard, but cars to haul your kiteboarding gear! Very Happy

My Blazer is killing me with the price of gas. I've been looking at Subarus, something I can drive on the beach at Jones and the coast. So to all of the Outback drivers out there, how do you like your Outback? What kind of gas mileage do you get? Are they reliable? Easy to work on? Are they comfortable on long drives?
I'm looking at a '99 or '00.

Thanks!
Nak

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri May 11, 07 3:22 pm     Reply with quote

subaro's a great, if your a lesbian or enjoy looking like one. Laughing

Seriously though, that full time all wheel drive kills good gas mileage.

I've got an 04 toyota matrix. Comfy, plenty of cargo space and I get 38 mpg doing 60. I get around 32 doing 75.

Stevenson and back costs me about $9.00.

what you should ask yourself though is this... Is all that extra money worth the ability to drive in the sand every once and awhile? Hell, buy a diesel rabbit, a trailer, and a 4 wheeler and you'll still come out ahead.

benji712

Since 30 Apr 2006
34 Posts
Boardman

PostFri May 11, 07 3:31 pm     Reply with quote

85-95 toyota pickups are great, 4x4, with 30+ mpg

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostFri May 11, 07 4:27 pm     Reply with quote

Agreed about the Subaru gas guzzlers. You could also look into a jetta or passat wagon tdi. Still made in Germany and average 40 miles per gallon!

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostFri May 11, 07 9:52 pm     Reply with quote

I try not to drive the f-350 biodieseler@17-18 mpgs at 70mph

I traded my legacy 20 mpgs @70-75mph in for a
1980 vw rabbit truck with topper and rocketbox now with new turbo diesel averagin 50 mpgs with two peeps and gear and some dogs( on b 99 biodiesel.)kite specific vehicle

smug that smileage.

subarus are the best when you consider winter mtn drivin' but the awd drives milage blows I got better milage with the old loyals when you could disengage.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri May 11, 07 10:04 pm     Reply with quote

My subaru doubles as a mountain vehicle and there's lots of snow in white salmon in the winter so AWD is needed... its also a nice performance feature for wet traction... but it does come at the price of gas mileage. I also have the rocket box which probably knocks off 3-4 miles per gallon. I figure I get mid 20's max in my subaru impreza.

Once Honda releases a diesel version of the Element I'm trading up. High gas mileage + SUV space + AWD. Thumb's Up

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostFri May 11, 07 10:11 pm     Reply with quote

I have had 3 subaru's now and all of them have been awesome. I completely beat the hell out of them. My first one I sold for $100 more then I bought it for I had it from 240,000- 280,000 miles on it. My second one no mechanical problems what so ever until a VW Jetta ran into it and totaled it. My 3rd one legacy wagon has been awesome I have had it for a yr and just changed the oil no mechanical problems so far. Put some good tires on them and they will go anywhere. Nak I have no idea what the gas is but your welcome to take it out for a spin next time I see ya.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostFri May 11, 07 10:13 pm     Reply with quote

Oh yeah the Matrix's are nice too put that on the list of cars for sure Thumb's Up

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 12, 07 6:07 am     Reply with quote

The Pontiac Vibe is identical to the Matrix, but about 2 $K cheaper because it lacks the Toyota name. Same components, same assembly factory.
Probably more lezbien, oh well.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat May 12, 07 11:23 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the feedback, And BB, thanks tons for the test drive offer! Very Happy If i haven't picked one up before I see you guys I'll take you up on that.

Thanks Again!
Nak

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostSun May 13, 07 6:51 am    conspiracy theory Reply with quote

i doubt you'll find any newer cars that get very good gas mileage. Crying or Very sad Its a complete disgrace to know what technology is there, and can make cars run virtually on nothing.

IMO,..roads take up to much space, i cant remember the statisic's but something like 10% of the world is covered in ashpalt. <-blame the romans....dam that julius cesar!

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun May 13, 07 11:34 am     Reply with quote

daily driver: colnago (italian steel is real, baby.)

sunnydays only: pinarello fully pantographed campy in mid-eighties elegance.

best fuel choice: fig newtons, dates, yogurt, pemmican bars

miles between gas station stops: forever. . . Cool

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun May 13, 07 12:18 pm     Reply with quote

I'll agree with the best fuel choices! But I'll take carbon fiber over Italion steel. Colnago makes beautiful frames, But most "Colnagos" ridden by pros are actually Titanium Lightspeeds painted to look like Colnagos... A few Pro ridden Colnagos are really Trek or Kestrel Carbon Fiber frames.

There is something special about an Italion steel frame though. Like driving a vintage sports car to the coast... Very Happy

KingE

Since 27 Apr 2006
58 Posts
Lake Wenatchee

PostSun May 13, 07 4:44 pm     Reply with quote

We get 34 on the freeway at freeway speeds with nothing on top.Ours is a 99.

Jeb

anjion

Since 12 May 2007
14 Posts

PostSun May 13, 07 5:58 pm     Reply with quote

I love subarus ( I work for a subaru performance shop ) But I have a honda del sol for ultra MPG and a jeep grand cherokee for the weekends. But if you get a newer legacy they are freaking awesome!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: