Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Saturday May 19th still on for sandbar clean up - Confirmed
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostTue May 15, 07 9:01 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
anyone know if there is a place you can rent shovels and wheel barrels?

"Your Rental Center" in the heights in HR. 1113 Tucker Road

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 15, 07 9:42 am     Reply with quote

I was sure I posted my list somewhere... but here it is again:
1 Chainsaw w/ Bar Oil & Fuel, chain file
12 pairs work gloves
Lots of Work/Hauling rope
Cable to bind up logs into windbreaks etc.
Cable "crosby clips" to bind up logs into windbreaks etc.
Cable Come-a-long for heavier work

Any requests?

coming from Tacoma, WA
Kip Wylie

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue May 15, 07 9:51 am     Reply with quote

I am good for

1) chainsaw winch
1) chainsaw, bar & oil
2) log chokers
1) block & pulley
probably a couple shovels
hopefully chains to secure the winch and block/pulley

I think the chainsaw winch will seriously help out, but we'll need a truck or two (the bigger the better) to secure it against so we can winch the logs. Then we can also secure the block and pulley to another truck to double the power available from the winch if we have some big nasty logs to move.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 15, 07 9:59 am     Reply with quote

magicmaker, wow, that's the ticket, chainsaw winch will save a lot of work. I'll bring my puny come-a-long just in case we need it. Sounds like you've got it covered as long as a few big rigs can get out there.

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostTue May 15, 07 10:26 am     Reply with quote

magicmaker wrote:
I think the chainsaw winch will seriously help out, but we'll need a truck or two

What is a chainsaw winch?

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue May 15, 07 10:40 am     Reply with quote

i chainsaw winch is a modified chainsaw that has a cable housing and gear box on the front of it. it runs just like a chainsaw, but pulls a cable into it's housing instead of having a bar & blade on the front. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostTue May 15, 07 10:43 am     Reply with quote

See you guys there

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostTue May 15, 07 11:25 am    The Corps confirmed they will drop the river! Reply with quote

The Corps of Engineers gave the nod today that they will drop the river for our cleanup this Saturday. Oh and don't forget the hotdogs because we will be having a BIG bon fire Very Happy

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 15, 07 11:39 am     Reply with quote

Could we research a keg donation? Isn't there some kind of brewery down there? Laughing

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue May 15, 07 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

in regards to leaving some of the logs in place to maintain a flat water spot, you should remember that when subject to current, logs and other debris actually cause EROSION immediately downstream, not sediment deposition. This phenomenon is called scour and is caused by the acceleration of the water around the obstacle in question. Therefore, I would suggest placing them somewhat like you would place a snow fence (i.e.) several feet upstream of where you want sand to deposit.

I wouldn't fret too much about the position of them though as winter high flows will inevitably move them.

P.S. although i think it has already been said, the current sand bar shape has little to with woody debris, it has to do with winter storm events which caused heavy amounts of sedimentation of the Hood River. (remember that highway being washed away?). Fast moving water is able to transport much higher amounts of sediment. When this fast moving water slams into the slow moving columbia, much of the sediment falls out of suspension and tada.. instant huge sand bar. Good times.

Smile

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue May 15, 07 12:28 pm     Reply with quote

PMB - We all know the reason that the sand/sediment/logs are there is because of the glacier burst, I think "no duh" is the right expression here. Wink

When winter comes and the water level and flows races back up, all bets are off for sure on whatever we might leave out there to keep flat water areas. Just trying to make it a nicer area for the summer. Flat water and kiting is like waist deep powder, I cheerish it.

We have a spot now on the sandbar where its possible, I don't think some of those trees buried in that spot are going anywhere. Just being an advocate for not breaking one part of the new bar that is awesome. This same idea has been echo'ed by serveral of the other riders out there.

By all means lets clear up the rest of the bar though and make a couple of safe launches.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 15, 07 1:03 pm     Reply with quote

I hope there will be someone there Saturday to take charge. Maybe walk around with a red & green spray can, or surveyors tape, to mark what an un-informed chainsaw operator would cut up. I live up north and have never seen the sand-bar since last Sept.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue May 15, 07 1:13 pm    visualize Reply with quote

So we know what we are talking about...

Area #2 is the main spot I am speaking about, there are large logs at the northwest portion that have keep the spot flat even when water is very high. The area downwind of the logs is pretty deep and getting deeper, perhaps this is the scour effect that PMB is referring too. Its actually great for riding because you want deep water downwind and bare sand upwind.

Areas #1 and #3 are only good in higher water levels than when this photo was taken, but can be awesome depending on conditions. In #1 you have to be mindful of the downwind current coming from HR. In #3 you need to be mindful that you are usually riding upwind of a shallow/dry area that you could be pulled into.

Sandbar Flat water areas (Shot Taken 5/15)
 Sandbar Flat water areas (Shot Taken 5/15)  butter.jpg 

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue May 15, 07 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

the picture helps allot, reading your post I thought that you were going to place LWD within the main channel to try and retain downstream sand bars.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 15, 07 7:54 pm     Reply with quote

what about using a tractor to actually move the sand? Is that even possible? It would be cool to move some sand when the water is super low like that, some spots are super shallow and you could lower them a little so when te water came back up you could ride in those spots.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue May 15, 07 8:49 pm     Reply with quote

We've been given the greenlight to use only 4x4 vehicles if necessary only to move some of the larger wood debris if necessary. Definitely no motorized tractors or earthmovers allowed.

********Important for note for driving vehicles on the Sandbar**********
When your vehicle is sitting in one spot (on wet sand) do not leave the engine running or idling for any period of time. The engine vibrations will cause the sand to loosen and attract water, therefor then turning the sand under your vehicles tires into soup-lie quicksand.
A kiter friend of ours from Alaska, who kites and tourguides at Turnagain Arm (famous sandspit and wave-like tide location) gave this advice to us as something that their locals live by when taking ATV's or 4x4's out onto their sandspits and lowtide beaches.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue May 15, 07 9:05 pm     Reply with quote

but can't we use tractors to help tow/move the logs around? i know earth movers / excavators are off limits, but i think using a tractor to tow logs is within the rules. correct me if im wrong tho.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: