Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Saturday May 19th still on for sandbar clean up - Confirmed
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostFri May 11, 07 10:18 am    Saturday May 19th still on for sandbar clean up - Confirmed Reply with quote

We will find out by Tuesday if the Corps of Engineers are going to drop the river for our work party. As you can see by the river being high right now the spring melt has begun so there is a chance they will not be able to do it - but we are hopeful. 1:00 PM start

We need 4x4 pickups, chainsaws, ropes, chains, cables and people.

Please post what you can bring so we can get a read on how many people we have and what equipment

Jim - 1 chainsaw

Last edited by shredjim on Tue May 15, 07 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostFri May 11, 07 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

Mark
One chainsaw Twisted Evil

www.naishkites.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri May 11, 07 12:41 pm     Reply with quote

I'll be in Bangkok and unable to help. Sad

On another note, look at the water level today! If they raised it just a little more, maybe a lot of the work would be done by the river? I know the corps has been asked before about raising the river level, but if someone called while the river was this high perhaps they'd raise it just a bit more?

Nak

Sandbar.jpg 

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 11, 07 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

I will be bringing a chainsaw, ropes, chains, cables, as well as a come-a-long, and other rigging supplies.
But, I will be watching this thread closely to see if you end up cancelling this project due to river height.
The Seattle Kiteboarding Assc. Jetty Island Clean-up Day is also on this date, and I'm driving from Tacoma WA
Looking forward to meeting the crowd.
Kip

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun May 13, 07 7:08 pm     Reply with quote

The sandbar was huge today, water level very low... looks like they are going to keep their promise of low water level!

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostMon May 14, 07 9:41 am    Chain saw test? Reply with quote

Would anyone be willing to run out this week by Wed. 5/16 with a chainsaw to cut up one of the logs at the far NW corner that are in and out of the water depending on the level, to test out how long it takes to cut one up? I'd be happy to come help.

I think it would behoove us to know, so that we can put out a bid for number of chainsaws needed, as well as vehicles. I've been advised that sand and water can dull a blade pretty fast. If that's the case, lack of chainsaws could be a potential slow-up.

In addition, I've asked that at the meeting on Wed 5/16 the schools are having w/ the Port they ask if after we cut logs, we can set the pieces adrift in the river (if they float, that is).

-Kirsten

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostMon May 14, 07 10:11 am    Re: Chain saw test? Reply with quote

shredbarbie wrote:

In addition, I've asked that at the meeting on Wed 5/16 the schools are having w/ the Port they ask if after we cut logs, we can set the pieces adrift in the river (if they float, that is).

I think putting cut pieces of logs into the river is a huge mistake. If a fiberglass boat hits a piece of cut log, it will put a hole in the boat and the boat will most likely sink. Sad

Garret

Since 07 Sep 2006
254 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon May 14, 07 10:16 am     Reply with quote

I will be there with a 4x4 and a chain. I am not sure if the water level raises those logs are going anywhere. They are partially buried in the sand and very water logged. They have been under water before and don't seem to move.

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostMon May 14, 07 10:25 am     Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

The river is full of logs that are floating free from natural causes as well. I agree that boats might hit stuff we set free, but am not sure I understand the difference. Also, it will lodge at other locations along the river which is beneficial for wildlife -- pros and cons abound with every choice. To me the issue appears 6 in one, 1/2 dozen in the other. Just throwing out suggestions.

-K

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon May 14, 07 10:50 am     Reply with quote

Its been said before but I will say it again... we should consider saving a good deal of the logs to perserve (and hopefully improve) the current flat water ponds on the spit.

If we totally remove all of the logs then we can look forward to the spit slowly eroding as has done in years past. The logs that are there are part of what has helped make the bar as giant as it is.

You can always make the logs safer by moving them out of the common launch/landing areas. In places where we want to have logs for flat water we can use the chainsaws to smooth out the logs and make them safer in the case someone drags over them. The logs could also be burried in sand (this has started to happen naturally.)

I have had some great times in the 3 flat water areas at the sandbar this year. I am all for cleaning things up and making it safer, but keeping flat water access for people who want it should not be overlooked.

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostMon May 14, 07 11:36 am     Reply with quote

...keeping the logs there for erosion control sounds good so long as we make sure there is nothing poking out that could potentially spear someone....if and WHEN they yard it through the water. There are so many snags, spears, and hidden treasures that that place is a hazard waiting to happen. I would think safety would come before erosion control. no?

so what's the low down on how this event is going to go off? Is there a meeting place and someone in charge? Do we have a list of what we're going to tackle? do we have a time schedule with built in time for kiting? All i've got are my two hands and energy.

are we still planning on creating a bonfire? fire good!

there's also a giant log that we could convert somehow to a bench or even a rail slide. who's got the creative touch with a chainsaw?

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon May 14, 07 3:32 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
The sandbar was huge today, water level very low... looks like they are going to keep their promise of low water level!

Maybe not Crying or Very sad

sandbar.jpg 

www.naishkites.com

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostMon May 14, 07 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

bamboo wrote:
I would think safety would come before erosion control. no?

so what's the low down on how this event is going to go off? Is there a meeting place and someone in charge? Do we have a list of what we're going to tackle? do we have a time schedule with built in time for kiting? All i've got are my two hands and energy.

are we still planning on creating a bonfire? fire good!

i think safety and erosion control are going to go hand in hand. There are two serious wood piles, that i think we're not going to be able to do much with except cut off all the possible branches and limbs that could impale someone because those wood piles are seriously cemeted in the sand. This will help preserve the flat water pools, and i think it would take too much work to clear those wood piles anyway. I think one main focus is going to be to clear the boneyard on the eastern end of the sandbar (where the guy on the waroo got drug thru and survived). This, IMO, is what presents the most danger because it is where inexperienced people will get dragged to if they have a bad launch. Once the kite is in the air, you only have to walk past a 50 foot long wood pile and that is if you choose to be on the upwind side of it. I think once we get the boneyard cleaned up launching/landing on the eastern most end of the sandbar and going out the Hood River channel will start looking like a much more attractive option because it will be a shorter walk from the sandspit parkign lot. Also the water level where the Hood empties is only about a foot deep and could be great for beginners.

secondly, yes there is someone in charge who is organizing this whole thing, it is shredjim (a CGKA BOD).

lastly, i think the general consensus is to burn off the debris and celebrate all our hard work Exclamation

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue May 15, 07 2:05 am     Reply with quote

Log slider! Log slider!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue May 15, 07 6:31 am     Reply with quote

anyone know if there is a place you can rent shovels and wheel barrels?

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 15, 07 7:03 am     Reply with quote

I believe there is a place just north (or closer to downtown) of the Acrop on Hwy 99.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue May 15, 07 7:14 am     Reply with quote

Better stop in for a steak if you are near the ACROP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: