Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Will Sauvie Island work today ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kitesurf_girl1

Since 05 Feb 2007
24 Posts
Ireland

PostWed May 09, 07 7:23 am    Will Sauvie Island work today ? Reply with quote

Forecast looking 14knt. Anyone hitting the water today ?

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostWed May 09, 07 8:28 am     Reply with quote

I think Sauvies will most likely work today...
I'm thinking a little (but not much) lighter today than yesterday and maybe a little bit more gusty but again, not much.

A few of us were still kiting after 8:00 pm yesterday.
It would die a little and than pick right back up...But over all, not bad for a Sauvies session. I hope this is a sign of good things to come at SI.
I was on my 13 fuel Yesterday w/ a 132...If my memory serves me correct, I think I was only on my 13 w/ a 132 about 1 time last year....

Oh and it looks like the sensor for SI is back up and running...Nice...!

PKH - Thanks for the NWkite shirt....Feels good to represent....If I was a millionair (which I'm not - but I might be someday) than I'll give everyone a shirt - right after installing live Cams at every kite beach....

Now, if only Kreamer or others can post some pics...I'm sure I spotted a few cameras....

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed May 09, 07 8:45 am    Re: Will Sauvie Island work today ? Reply with quote

kitesurf_girl1 wrote:

It is already firing. . .

How was the current yesterday. . . is Bonneville spilling enough h20 to overpower the ebb tide? Later in the season when the water shed and h20 conservation (ie holding water back from spilling over the dams) occurs, the ebb really cuts into your power/speed.

Couldn't make it yesterday and I miss SI after last year, but I'll get my share the next 3 days on the coast. Come on out

kitesurf_girl1

Since 05 Feb 2007
24 Posts
Ireland

PostWed May 09, 07 9:40 am     Reply with quote

Ok. Leaving Hood River now. Heading for Sauvie Island.

Thanks for the replies.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed May 09, 07 9:49 am    Re: Will Sauvie Island work today ? Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
kitesurf_girl1 wrote:

It is already firing. . .

How was the current yesterday. . . is Bonneville spilling enough h20 to overpower the ebb tide? Later in the season when the water shed and h20 conservation (ie holding water back from spilling over the dams) occurs, the ebb really cuts into your power/speed.

Couldn't make it yesterday and I miss SI after last year, but I'll get my share the next 3 days on the coast. Come on out

The current was cranking 4-6PM. Think you mean flood tide - rising - incoming - knocking things down on the N wind. Yesterday afternoon was max ebb - outgoing - giving you a few knot boost to the cranking current.

Will be good today.

http://www2.findu.com/cgi-bin/tide.cgi?tide=2625

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed May 09, 07 9:49 am     Reply with quote

kitesurf_girl1 wrote:
Ok. Leaving Hood River now. Heading for Sauvie Island.

Thanks for the replies.

leaving da hood for sauvies? Shocked

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 09, 07 9:54 am    SI Sensor Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
Oh and it looks like the sensor for SI is back up and running...Nice...!

Props to the iKitesurf guys (Stuart and David)! Thumb's Up I sent them an email yesterday about the SI sensor being down (DEQ sensor page went off line) and that there was data available from NOAA. They got the new data up by the end of the day!

For those who don't have iKitesurf: move pointer over sensor site and click for data: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/frame.php?map=pqr
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: WI - Report a malfunctioning sensor iKitesurf ticket: 231955209
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 08:39:20 -0400

Yep, sad black hole indeed. We were collecting Sauvie Island data from the ODEQ: http://www.deq.state.or.us/wsadvisory/ODEQ5min.txt But that page is gone gone gone.

I've flipped it over to use NOAA's Mesowest system now, and there is joy again. Thanks for the tip!

Keep practicing Stu, and one day you'll get the hang of this forecasting thing.
dsj
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 10:22 PM
To: 'David St. John'
Cc: 'Daniel Alexander'
Subject: FW: WI - Report a malfunctioning sensor iKitesurf ticket: 231955209

08 May 6:00 pm 65 NNW 16 OK
08 May 5:00 pm 66 N 15 OK
08 May 4:00 pm 67 NNW 15 OK
08 May 3:00 pm 69 N 15 OK

Hi David,

He's right, I just checked our OR - PDX maps and the data is MIA.

Wonder if our parser is pointing the wrong direction? Endlessly trying to cull data from a black hole. Sad really.

That's a REALLY good day for Sauvie's, 16NNW. I think I went 10-14 in my forecast. It's a tough nut to call, often a strong marine push will just shut the place down but if the High has enough north in it - then boom - it's on.

- Stuart

shill@weatherflow.com [email]

---start message---
The Sauvie Island sensor in Oregon is shown as out of service, but there is data on the NOAA site. Highlight sensor on island for hourly data: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/frame.php?map=pqr

---end message---
[/i]

rich

Since 30 Nov 2005
306 Posts
portland
Obsessed

PostWed May 09, 07 10:21 am     Reply with quote

I like the free tool. Nice.

Is this thing usually pretty accurate? Is there a forecasting feature somewhere?

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 09, 07 10:28 am     Reply with quote

The SI sensor seems to be delayed by at least one hour. Taken with all the other data it just helps make the “Go” “No Go” decision…

The Scappoose aviation forecast: http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?model=eta&Submit=Change+Source&state=OR&sta=KSPB

and NOAA forecasts are pretty good: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=boi&minlon=-125&maxlon=-120.8&minlat=43.39&maxlat=46.91&mapwidth=354&map_x=189&map_y=116&zone=1

kitesurf_girl1

Since 05 Feb 2007
24 Posts
Ireland

PostThu May 10, 07 7:55 am     Reply with quote

sauvie's was excellent, well worth leaving da hood for the day. maxed on 12m all day!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: