Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Advice for a beginner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kite_Steve

Since 19 Mar 2005
6 Posts
Seattle/North Bend
Kook

PostSun Mar 20, 05 2:19 pm    Advice for a beginner Reply with quote

I am hoping to get into kiteboarding this summer (I have been windsurfing for over 20 years) and would like some advise on sizes and brands of kites/boards to look into for a beginner. I will be doing most of my kiting in the Gorge. I have a 1 m trainer kite and a 4 m stunt kit (and Terraboard) that I have been flying in the park. Any preferences on who to take lessons through in Hood River?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Mar 20, 05 2:59 pm     Reply with quote

Steve -
Sounds like your on the right path with the trainer kites and looking for lessons.

I can't recommend any specific kite schools, but I would suggest you go with someone who does lessons by Jet Ski. This is by far the safest and most effective way to learn. Works much better than trashing around in the shallows at the sandbar dodging all of the other students and pros alike.

On the question of brands - this is really a hard question to ask. Almost everyone has a bias, and very few are those who have actually been able to independently review all different brands of kites. These days most kites are basically the same, some have a few extra features, but durability and performance wise I don't think you can really go wrong with any brand. More or less it comes down to if you want to support the local shops or save some money (potentially a lot) and buy online. There are pros and cons to each side, maybe you should just look at whats out there and weigh the options.

Since you are just starting I would recommend buying used. Your first kites you are going to thrash and you are not likely to notice any real improvement of a 2005 over a 2004 kite. I would say don't go any older than 2003, as that was the year that most kites and safety systems got really good. For safety systems make sure the bar has a quick release (QR) on the chicken loop, as well as front or side leash system that can attach to your harness.

Good luck!

Kite_Steve

Since 19 Mar 2005
6 Posts
Seattle/North Bend
Kook

PostMon Mar 21, 05 8:22 am    Advise for a beginner Reply with quote

What size(s) of kites do you recommend? 12? 14? If I will doing most of my kiting in the Gorge. I will probably be windsurfing when it is really blowing. I weigh about 155/160 lbs.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Mar 21, 05 11:07 am     Reply with quote

10m or 12m... 12m is probably the one with the most range. That will get you from 15mph-25mph pretty easy. When you are starting you don't want too big a kite because the bigger kites are slower, harder to relaunch, and don't have as much depower.

I only rarely use anything bigger than a 12m or 13m in the Gorge...

PostTue Mar 22, 05 7:42 am     Reply with quote

go to floras lake windsurfing for kiting lessons. Floras is a great place to learn and Will(the teacher) has the gear and the spot to get you out fast. As a windsurfer I am sure you are familiar with the lake. The gorge is great but the traffic is alot for newbies. good luck. I would go for a 12. later you will be addicted and get more sizes 16,8. I would also get a intermediate board you can use past learning like a sx 141 slingshot or something simular.

wytcap

Since 10 Mar 2005
203 Posts
NW oregon
Stoked

PostTue Mar 22, 05 9:34 am     Reply with quote

I agree, I learned to windsurf on my own at floaras and thought I would learn to kite on my own there, I ended up taking a lesson from Will, it was the smartest thing I could have done, he is a awe Laughing some instructor, I have known him for 15 years and Highly recommend taking a lesson there.
WYTCAP

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Mar 22, 05 4:14 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Steve,

I really believe in Naish products and will give you a special deal on my X2's (see ad in classifieds on this site). I will throw in a "get you started" lesson. I'm not certified for kite instruction, but I have brought many friends safely and successfully into the sport.

PS I highly recommend having a 16m in your quiver even for the Gorge. That size has yielded many happy sessions for me at the sandbar and out at Rufus....

PPS You mentioned you have a landboard? I help manage a B&B/Inn in Seaside and have seen many enjoying the wide open hard/flat sand there on land boards...interested in trading?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: