Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lessons on Sauvies Island?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
job8brain

Since 08 May 2007
5 Posts
Beaverton
Kook

PostTue May 08, 07 8:48 pm    Lessons on Sauvies Island? Reply with quote

I have a hundreds of hours of two line kite experience and have flown a bunch of hours on a 2.5M trainer kite. I am also an avid waterskier and snowboarder. Now I would like to combine all this and learn to kiteboard. Makes sense to me anyway (not my wife).

I was wondering if its possible to get lessons on Sauvies Island. I read the guide page and followed the links but neither place seemed to have lessons on their websites.

Is it better to learn in the gorge?

If there are lessons in Portland when do they start up usually?

Any recommendations or help would be most appreciated.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue May 08, 07 8:52 pm     Reply with quote

ASI used to do lessons at SI, but since they've kind of shut down, and everyone has moved on, you might want to check into Gorge Performance. Not really sure though since Nate (who used to teach for ASI), is now leaving GP for Hatteras, NC, Thursday.

I'm sure someone more helpful will chime in...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue May 08, 07 9:00 pm     Reply with quote

The Gorge is more consistently windy, you don't want to waste your lesson in light flukey wind... I'd recommend New Wind Kiteboarding... they teach from jetski's which is the safest and most productive way to learn IMO.

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostTue May 08, 07 9:04 pm     Reply with quote

call Gorge Performance and talk to Steve.

I think he was planning on doing some lessons out at Sauvie's this summer. Great guy. Also, he just got the latest certification for teaching about a month ago over on Maui.

He's done a great job teaching his girlfriend... so if your wife wants to jump in as well?? ha.

job8brain

Since 08 May 2007
5 Posts
Beaverton
Kook

PostTue May 08, 07 9:35 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info. I will call Steve and check out New Wind in the gorge as well. Thanks again!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed May 09, 07 12:47 am     Reply with quote

definitely learn in the Gorge, Sauvie can be frustrating, even for experienced guys.

Big thing, don't be afraid to introduce yourself and ask for questions/help if you need it. Most KB's are stoked to help someone out and everyone wants to see injuries and kitemares kept to a minimum. Most kiteboarders are not soo excited to see someone rigging up that doesn't know what the hell is going on.

Have fun!

PS Phil, don't we have some kind of "rules of the road post somewhere"?

rich

Since 30 Nov 2005
306 Posts
portland
Obsessed

PostWed May 09, 07 4:47 am     Reply with quote

I took lessons fr. this guy Jimmy at http://www.kiteboardoregon.com/. He was really cool, brought a rubber zodiac w/ him and had me meet him where ever it was windy for the lesson (was usually stevenson). Dunno if he is still giving lessons, thought I'd throw my 2 cents in though

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed May 09, 07 6:08 am     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:

PS Phil, don't we have some kind of "rules of the road post somewhere"?

Yeah I was thinking the other day we need a beginners info thread or page... There is some info here: http://www.nwkite.com/guides/

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 09, 07 6:27 am     Reply with quote

it wouldn't hurt if we listed out the rules of the road as well... right of way, lowering or raising your kite when downwind/upwind, etc...

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed May 09, 07 8:01 am     Reply with quote

Don't overlook the coast for learning. Steady winds, wide open spaces, easy downwind support.
Very Happy

job8brain

Since 08 May 2007
5 Posts
Beaverton
Kook

PostWed May 09, 07 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

I spoke to Steve at Gorge Performance. He is doing lessons starting now.
Thurdays - Saturdays I think is what he said. His vote is for Stevenson as a good training ground because the winds are more predictable.

I will post an update when I have had my first couple lessons and let you know how they went.

curiousgorge

Since 10 May 2007
2 Posts

PostThu May 10, 07 9:24 am     Reply with quote

Is Steve going to have a jet ski? Otherwise teaching at Stevenson will be a bit of a challenge...

job8brain

Since 08 May 2007
5 Posts
Beaverton
Kook

PostThu May 10, 07 11:27 am     Reply with quote

I didn't ask...but good question.

Curious.... I dont know much about the Stevenson site and there is no guide page on it, what would make teaching in Stevenson a challenge without water support. Limited beach for downwind stuff?

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 10, 07 11:54 am     Reply with quote

the water is deep at stevenson, and it doesn't take long to get far from shore...there is no beach, and the launch isn't exactly a beginner's setup.

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu May 10, 07 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:
the water is deep at stevenson, and it doesn't take long to get far from shore...there is no beach, and the launch isn't exactly a beginner's setup.

Well said Elvis....I agree....Even though Stevenson has some of the best winds in the gorge, it's probably not the best beginner spot.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 10, 07 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

as much as i hate to say it (and without giving away a few choice spots that I don't really want to dodge beginners in), the sandbar at hoodriver is the first best place to go..plenty of teachers, plenty of space, plenty of shallow water. After you have gotten to solid waterstarts (but not necessarily staying upwind), the coast would be a great second spot. Long downwinders in neck deep or less water for as long as you can take it.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu May 10, 07 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

job8brain do u work at a cellular store?

www.naishkites.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: