Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Seaside 12th Ave Winter Kiting?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostMon Sep 17, 18 8:35 am    Seaside 12th Ave Winter Kiting? Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about this spot? This is my wife’s first season kiteboarding and we’re looking for a safe spot for her to practice a bit during the fall and winter months. It looks like it would work for both west and south winds and the spot description says it’s good for beginners. Are there any hazards we should be aware of?

http://se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/spot/Seaside_12th_Ave

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 17, 18 9:20 am     Reply with quote

Learning, on the Oregon coast, in winter.... those three items don't sound good together to me. Instead I'd suggest to check out Lot D of Fort Stevens (https://goo.gl/maps/mh8ihheVtaF2) and the bay south of it, on south and east winds it's a pretty sweet beginner friendly location with some shallow water.

Nevo

PostMon Sep 17, 18 9:37 am    Re: Seaside 12th Ave Winter Kiting? Reply with quote

"Awsome winter spot. Can do long downwinders, go in the bay at high tide for butter smooth water. Great for beginners, lots of room. Go to the very end of 12th Ave."

Sounds like you found a little gem! I've never been but I'd be happy to join you. I'll also try to check it out on the next south wind session I can get out there.

Marcus O wrote:
Does anyone know anything about this spot? This is my wife’s first season kiteboarding and we’re looking for a safe spot for her to practice a bit during the fall and winter months. It looks like it would work for both west and south winds and the spot description says it’s good for beginners. Are there any hazards we should be aware of?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Sep 17, 18 9:51 am     Reply with quote

Marcus: it can be done, but not the best or optimal. S, SW, and west winds should work in the estuary/river mouth. West winds really will be gone in the winter and will come back in spring. Realize that winter kiting is basically storm wind and so one has to deal with the calm, then kitable wind then the rainy squall with crazy winds. Then it starts all over again and the cycle typically repeats.

12th street and the estuary can be fun, but there can be bottomless water and strong currents...a sure gear losing endeavor and potentially more. Lot D in east winds after slack tide and into the ebb tide can be good. This will be cold water in the winter. Much cooler than the ocean. If you are really wanting to expose your wife to winter Oregon
Kiting up and around Seaside. Go up to 10th street beach access, Del Ray access, Sunset, ship wreck. Follow her in the car. Swell and mushy waves won't allow her to go out far, and the amount of water volume w/winter waves and swell can be large and challenging. Look at the forecast, try and choose days when gusts and variance won't be too large/big. Try and locate a large sandbar on the northern strip where one can drive on the beach. A large pool of chest deep to foot deep water will exist. Realize that with this large sandbar pool and with the prevailing S to SW wind MOST Likely that the exiting point of this body of water should be downwind (north) on the beach. This is the danger zone as a rip current will be here. Rips aren't a joke. Any current can cause problems to riders, but especially beginners.

Get her a super toasty wetsuit to use. Cleanline in Seaside has all you need and the owner Josh is a wealth of knowledge as he is a life-long surfer and a kiter for 2 decades.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Sep 17, 18 10:06 am    Re: Seaside 12th Ave Winter Kiting? Reply with quote

Nevo wrote:
"Awsome winter spot. Can do long downwinders, go in the bay at high tide for butter smooth water. Great for beginners, lots of room. Go to the very end of 12th Ave."

Sounds like you found a little gem! I've never been but I'd be happy to join you. I'll also try to check it out on the next south wind session I can get out there.

Marcus O wrote:

This sight has questionable info.

Best months are right, but those months the typical wind flow is w/NW/to N. more west in March and April. The river mouth changes yearly due to winter storms. Three years ago the launch was right next to where one parks (200 yards). Now it's like 1/2 mile or more now. The change in the river mouth also changes what direction of wind works best. Fun spot when and or if it blows N/NW wind, but rare. Need 12 to 17m kite to make it a more reliable spot to ride.

I think a beginner would be better served if they kited North of there near one of the beach access points for cars.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 17, 18 10:30 am     Reply with quote

You might also consider Nehalem Bay instead of venturing out on to the coast with a beginner. North of the boat launch offers more beach, shallow waters and less current.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 17, 18 10:54 am     Reply with quote

See our Oregon Coast Fabebook group. Also you need to look at

Nehalem Bay !!! This is your best bet.

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostMon Sep 17, 18 11:01 am     Reply with quote

I knew it was a total long shot but she’s getting hooked and wants to keep practicing so I figured it’s at least worth looking into. She spends a lot of time in the water so pobably better to just go to La Ventana or SPI this winter. I actually grew up in Astoria and used to windsurf at lot D near the bird watch area in Fall and The Ponds right off of Jetty Rd on East wind days. It’s been so long I couldn’t remember if those were good spots for learning. I remember the east wind days were pretty cold. My parents used to leave me out there unsupervised with a windsurf rig so I figured it couldn’t be too bad haha.

I’ll probably at least give lot D a try this fall/winter. What skill level would you say I should be at for kiting ship wreck during winter? This is also my first season kiting. I started in May and feel like I picked it up pretty quickly. I've been averaging three days per week since I started. I don’t have any issues staying up wind, I’m starting to land jumps and am just barely starting to ride strapless. I’d be riding a twin tip during winter, though since I’m not good at jibing.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostMon Sep 17, 18 11:08 am     Reply with quote

Josephine Young Memorial park just south of Lincoln City in the Siletz Bay. Good on south winds. Shallow water in most areas. The only negative is the mud is super slippery. When I was beginning, I got my first mud kiting experience there. Good year round spot for beginners. Mo's clam chowder at the end of the bay for post session warm up.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 17, 18 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

Marcus O wrote:
I knew it was a total long shot but she’s getting hooked and wants to keep practicing so I figured it’s at least worth looking into. She spends a lot of time in the water so pobably better to just go to La Ventana or SPI this winter. I actually grew up in Astoria and used to windsurf at lot D near the bird watch area in Fall and The Ponds right off of Jetty Rd on East wind days. It’s been so long I couldn’t remember if those were good spots for learning. I remember the east wind days were pretty cold. My parents used to leave me out there unsupervised with a windsurf rig so I figured it couldn’t be too bad haha.

I’ll probably at least give lot D a try this fall/winter. What skill level would you say I should be at for kiting ship wreck during winter? This is also my first season kiting. I started in May and feel like I picked it up pretty quickly. I've been averaging three days per week since I started. I don’t have any issues staying up wind, I’m starting to land jumps and am just barely starting to ride strapless. I’d be riding a twin tip during winter, though since I’m not good at jibing.

Where to start....winter kiting is for experts only. There's no margin of error regarding the cold air and water. If you make the slightest mistake like crashing your kite and bladder pops, or dropping your kite in surf and lines get tangled, get separated from your board..... anything where you need to body drag or swim in - your life will be in danger (hypothermia, drowning, weird currents when wind blows from the south).

Winter winds along the coast are fickle and the surf conditions are extreme. Stay out of the open ocean - this includes Shipwreck.

Even if you are an expert kiter - you'll need 5 or 6 mil wetsuits, booties, and hood and probably gloves.

Yes - there are a few hard core locals who kite year round but IMO - take your wife to La Ventana, stay at Palapas Ventana or Baja Joes and have a great time drinking Margaritas instead of sitting in your car with the heat on full blast looking at the cold grey ocean.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 17, 18 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

Nehalem Bay !!
If you go down, you're blown into shore. With a dry suite or 5/3 and extra gear your good for a long time in the water. Also Nehlem Bay is an easy access, resue location. Check it out.

I would agree, if you winter kiteing in the ocian its experts only and not for beginners. But not for Nehalem Bay

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostMon Sep 17, 18 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Marcus O wrote:

Where to start....winter kiting is for experts only. There's no margin of error regarding the cold air and water. If you make the slightest mistake like crashing your kite and bladder pops, or dropping your kite in surf and lines get tangled, get separated from your board..... anything where you need to body drag or swim in - your life will be in danger (hypothermia, drowning, weird currents when wind blows from the south).

Winter winds along the coast are fickle and the surf conditions are extreme. Stay out of the open ocean - this includes Shipwreck.

Even if you are an expert kiter - you'll need 5 or 6 mil wetsuits, booties, and hood and probably gloves.

Yes - there are a few hard core locals who kite year round but IMO - take your wife to La Ventana, stay at Palapas Ventana or Baja Joes and have a great time (January - March).

Ok thank you for the honest feedback, I really appreciate it. I think I'll just stay out of the ocean this winter and maybe give it a go next summer on an incoming tide when swell is low. We'd have a lot more fun in La Ventana anyway. Sounds like Nehalem Bay and Siletz Bay are still options too. We'd be going out in 5/4 wetsuits, 5 mil booties, gloves and hood.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 17, 18 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

Lots more kiting to be had this fall.
Check out Rooster for east winds.

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostMon Sep 17, 18 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

Oh I'll be out there for sure!

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 17, 18 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

In many cases those are not very beginner friendly either - wind blows with the current not against so if you drop your kite and cannot relaunch it it's a fast setup to end up walking back on the highway. Plus the winds are often 35mph+

Don't get me wrong I love Rooster - it feels like the whole summer you're preparing for those nuking conditions - it's always a blast riding there (but it can be daunting if you're learning).

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 17, 18 9:19 pm     Reply with quote

Seaside estuary takes a fair amount of West in the wind. Straight south will be very dirty from all the buildings.
Lot D can be warm enough until December especially if the tide is coming in.
Nehalem State Park boatramp works well on Sw winds and on easterlies when Rooster is averaging over 40. The wind warms up more than Lot D by crossing the coast range and pouring down the Nehalem valley. On easterlies ikitesurfs gust is really the average and I discard the lull. Often 9m at 9am dropping to 12m by noon then gone by 2. Southwesterlies are purely frontal. The boatramp has a lot of shallow sand on either side but about 1/4 mile wide foilable channel even at low tide. I’ll be there a lot this fall&winter!

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostTue Sep 18, 18 7:18 am     Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
ldhr wrote:

In many cases those are not very beginner friendly either - wind blows with the current not against so if you drop your kite and cannot relaunch it it's a fast setup to end up walking back on the highway. Plus the winds are often 35mph+

Don't get me wrong I love Rooster - it feels like the whole summer you're preparing for those nuking conditions - it's always a blast riding there (but it can be daunting if you're learning).

Oh there's no way my wife would be going out to Rooster this season. She can't even stay up wind yet. Not a good set up for learning at all as she'd probably end up washing in at Broughton Beach or something. I was planning on going out there with a friend. If it seems like it’s too much then I’d just head back in and try again next year. I'd hate to end the season with a bad experience. I feel like I should be ok in those conditions, though -- at least for the early part of the fall season. I have no issues staying up wind and have been out in gusty 40mph conditions. Is relaunching with a downwind current more difficult? I’d think you rig a bit bigger since the current and wind are going in the same direction. I know there are tides at Rooster. Is it better to go out on a flood tide and just stay away from the ebbs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: