Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Baja low sulfur diesel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
gybetalkin

Since 01 Nov 2010
50 Posts

PostSat Sep 08, 18 5:19 pm    Baja low sulfur diesel Reply with quote

Wondering how the trip down to La Ventana has been in recent seasons for people with late model diesels requiring low sulfur fuel. Are there Pemex stations with bajo azufre this days?

AC

Since 04 Jul 2012
66 Posts

CGKA Member

PostSun Sep 09, 18 3:19 pm    All of Baja has ULSD Reply with quote

I have a 14 Sprinter, had trouble each year in BCS, but starting in late 2017, no problems. Ted White is the ultimate source on this topic (he tests the fuel) and all stations up and down the peninsula have tested for less than 15 PPM (the standard for EPA mandated Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel). Bien viaje!

gybetalkin

Since 01 Nov 2010
50 Posts

PostSun Sep 09, 18 3:54 pm    Happy injectors! Reply with quote

Muy bien! Gracias!

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 09, 18 5:14 pm     Reply with quote

A few years back I researched diesels about the time ULSD was being mandated here in California. There was a lawsuit against VW claiming (and pointing to research) that ULSD burned hotter and dryer than 'normal' diesel, resulting in burned rings and shortened engine life. Not sure where that went, but one of the recommendations I read was to alternate or mix tanks with B5-B20 biodiesel because the vegetable oils helped prevent early ring burnout. I opted not to buy a diesel myself so stopped researching further, but just passing this along in case you're interested in fact-checking it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: