Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anyone know when the Port safety signage will be up?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed May 09, 07 7:51 am     Reply with quote

what did the dangler do yesturday?

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostWed May 09, 07 8:19 am     Reply with quote

im with you forrest. that photo on the port web site shows a rectangular safe zone. that does not look like a 600 x 600 square. also the remaining zone for kiters does not look that safe. who is getting the preferential treatment here.

seems very fishy.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed May 09, 07 8:25 am     Reply with quote

at least I have learned I have ten more days till they start charging then I am done with the sandbar anyway.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed May 09, 07 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

If Port maintains a postion of "windsurfing is safe, kiting is dangerous", kiting on the sandbar is in for a rude awakening this summer...

When the sandbar becomes a permanent attached fixture at the Event Site, then all bets are off. For six years kiting has enjoyed relative freedom due to being a bit cut off from other users. So now that the sandbar has potential to be a permanent fixture, the Port suddenly makes a move with the State/Corp of Engineering to gain control? Actually a good thing as there will be safety issues with a increase in the different users, and if the paradigm of the safety issues can altered. If not, I personally you guys are gonna be walking to the furthest reaches of sand.

Hopefully the local Kiters and CGKA can change the perception of kiting as a dangerous sport. Good luck guys.

Just my humble opinion, Jon

PS: $3 to $5... wow! Sounds like gas money to head to Stevenson!

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostWed May 09, 07 3:32 pm    Windsurfing is more dangerous Reply with quote

Yeah, I don’t see a no windsurfing zone in the map? And we can’t pump up on the grass? Over the years I have seen more people get hurt windsurfing in the gorge. The list includes broken ribs from booms, cracked open head from mast, getting run over by barges, and flying gear landing on people. Sounds to me like windsurfers are trying to sell the idea that kiting is dangerous, but from what I have experienced windsurfing is more dangerous.

Rico

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: