Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

GORGE HUCKFEST 2018 - It's Official

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostThu Sep 06, 18 9:24 pm    GORGE HUCKFEST 2018 - It's Official Reply with quote

Facebook Version (and most frequently updated): https://www.facebook.com/events/1088329724652716

--SCHEDULE UPDATE THURSDAY-- Oct 11th --
The 2018 Gorge Huckfest will officially take place on SATURDAY, OCTOBER 13TH. This event will be taking place at the STEVENSON, WA Kite Launch behind the port building/Jester and Judge.

PLEASE ARRIVE by 9:30AM FOR REGISTRATION.

--EVENT SCHEDULE--
9:00-10:00 AM -- EVENT REGISTRATION
10:00 AM -- RIDERS MEETING, EVENT FORMAT EXPLANATION
10:30-11:00 LOOKING TO START OUR FIRST HEATS!

I will need some volunteers for help with raffle tickets, herding wayward kiters, and Announcement during the event!

It is recommended to bring a jacket and some hearty food to this event. There are many food and drink venues in town, but event participants will not have a lot of time between heats! There will be snacks and water available (Clif bars, crackers, trail mix).

PLEASE AVOID PARKING DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE LAUNCH AREA SO THAT WE CAN USE THE PARKING AREA TO STAGE KITES FOR THE NEXT HEATS!

💨EVENT INFO (More to come)
This is an event to celebrate our awesome PNW kite community by having as much fun as possible, doing what only kites can do... BOOST! Go big. Full-send. Huck it.

Jump as high as you can, as measured by the WOO height tracker (provided by Woo for the event). Height is the only judging criteria for podium placement, but PRIZES are on a scaling raffle system (read on...)

There will be awards for each division, as well as other FUN awards, such as Stoke Master, Best Kookslam, and Best Kiteloop.

👉PRIZE allocation will follow a weighted raffle system where raffle tickets are awarded by your best cumulative jump height in a heat. This means that anyone can win the best prizes. The prize pool will grow as sponsors come on board. We want everyone to walk away with something!

💨COMPETITION DIVISIONS, (TBD Per registrations):
Men
Women
Foilers
👉Note: divisions may change to Advanced, Open, and Foilers depending on overall number of participants and to keep the event inclusive and FUN for all.

💨WHO SHOULD PARTICIPATE?
Everyone that likes to jump - beginning huckers to pros. All entrants get entered into the prize raffle and their session jumps measured and tracked on the Woo device!

Note that Beginner-level kiters or kiters that have not kited in 30+ mph winds should not participate, for safety reasons.

💨WILL THERE BE FOOD?!?!
Snacks and water will be provided for participants because food vending is not allowed in Oregon State Parks. A BBQ may be held at the awards ceremony, TBD.

💨EVENT REGISTRATION
Please register online as soon as you can commit. Every participant will receive a Huckfest tee-shirt, Huckfest stoneware coaster set, and raffle tickets for the event prize pool!

Registration is $40.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gorge-huckfest-tickets-49973944413

Refunds will be available if the wind forecast moves the event date to a date you cannot attend

💨EVENT SPONSORS (BIG THANKS):
WOO
OCEAN RODEO
2ND WIND SPORTS
THE PARTY PLACE
WINDANCE
NAISH
DAKINE
VINDUR HAO
SLINGSHOT

GHuckfest18.jpg 

Last edited by Dern on Thu Oct 11, 18 10:16 am; edited 7 times in total

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostFri Sep 07, 18 11:33 am    Still looking for Safety Volunteers Reply with quote

I am still looking for more safety-trained volunteers for this event to ensure we have a safe environment for people to ride. This includes first response / emt / CPR / Lifeguard. At this point an active certification is not required, this is for increased safety response availability at the event.

I am also looking for volunteers for Jetski support. The jetski and driver do not need to be actively on the water at

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Sep 07, 18 12:24 pm    Re: Still looking for Safety Volunteers Reply with quote

Dern wrote:
I am still looking for more safety-trained volunteers for this event to ensure we have a safe environment for people to ride. This includes first response / emt / CPR / Lifeguard. At this point an active certification is not required, this is for increased safety response availability at the event.

I am also looking for volunteers for Jetski support. The jetski and driver do not need to be actively on the water at

FYI. . .

You might want to check out the boat ramps on the west end of the RR park. I'm pretty sure this time of year they are pretty useless as the cement ramps are not even covered with water in order to backup a trailer with a water vehicle.

A different story in the spring when there is lots more water moving down the river.

I think the next closest boat ramp is either Dalton to the east of the boat ramp at Blue Lake. I think it is called Chinook Boat ramp.

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 07, 18 1:00 pm     Reply with quote

Awesome idea.

Windance is in for supplying some prizes!

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostSat Sep 08, 18 11:32 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Awesome idea.

Windance is in for supplying some prizes!

Awesome that the local shops are supporting this local event! Stay tuned for more info as more sponsors come on board!

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 10, 18 12:42 pm    Rooster Boat Ramps - OK Reply with quote

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 10, 18 12:45 pm    Rooster Boat Ramps - OK Reply with quote

Hey Dern,

At the suggestion of a certain Sasquatch, I took a few pics of the boat ramps on the west side of Rooster Rock's boat lauch...short answer is they look fine for a jet-ski entry. Saw 2 trailers suggesting fishing peeps were using them successfully.

Hope that helps!

PICS Here: http://tinypic.com/a/abqiyv/4

Best,

Mc

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 10, 18 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

If i remember correctly though usually in October the water level drops to a point when you can barely pass a jet-ski through that channel off the boat ramp.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 10, 18 2:29 pm     Reply with quote

As a back up plan could launch jet ski at Dalton Pt

Just a suggestion

Mc

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostTue Sep 11, 18 7:06 pm    Event Update! Reply with quote

Event registration is online at eventbrite. Please register as soon as you can commit!

Every participant gets entry into the competition, Huckfest tee shirt, Huckfest coaster set, and raffle tickets to the prize pool!

More sponsors are coming aboard to add shwag and other goodies to the prize pool!

COASTER SETS FOR 1ST, 2ND, 3RD PLACE IN EACH DIVISION AND FOR EVERY PARTICIPANT!
 COASTER SETS FOR 1ST, 2ND, 3RD PLACE IN EACH DIVISION AND FOR EVERY PARTICIPANT!  IMG_20180909_225041__01.png 

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 23, 18 7:36 pm     Reply with quote

Long Term GFS is looking like Tuesday 10/2 might be a good practice day!!!

*Update - I think I mis-read this. Arlington / 3 mile will be ripping on Tuesday 10/2!!!
Gonna be an epic day! Perhaps the best day of the season.
End update*

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed Sep 26, 18 11:41 am     Reply with quote

⚠️UPDATE THURSDAY-- Oct 4th, Due to an unfavorable weekend forecast, the event is being moved to the following weekend, OCTOBER 13-14. October 12 will also be considered if the 13-14 do not look good.⚠️

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostThu Oct 04, 18 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

⚠️UPDATE THURSDAY-- Oct 4th, Due to an unfavorable weekend forecast, the event is being moved to the following weekend, OCTOBER 13-14. October 12 will also be considered if the 13-14 do not look good.⚠️

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostThu Oct 11, 18 9:53 am     Reply with quote

--SCHEDULE UPDATE THURSDAY-- Oct 11th --
The 2018 Gorge Huckfest will officially take place on SATURDAY, OCTOBER 13TH. This event will be taking place at the STEVENSON, WA Kite Launch behind the port building/Jester and Judge.

PLEASE ARRIVE by 9:30AM FOR REGISTRATION.

--EVENT SCHEDULE--
9:00-10:00 AM -- EVENT REGISTRATION
10:00 AM -- RIDERS MEETING, EVENT FORMAT EXPLANATION
10:30-11:00 LOOKING TO START OUR FIRST HEATS!

I will need some volunteers for help with raffle tickets, herding wayward kiters, and Announcement during the event!

It is recommended to bring a jacket and some hearty food to this event. There are many food and drink venues in town, but event participants will not have a lot of time between heats! There will be snacks and water available (Clif bars, crackers, trail mix).

PLEASE AVOID PARKING DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE LAUNCH AREA SO THAT WE CAN USE THE PARKING AREA TO STAGE KITES FOR THE NEXT HEATS!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: