Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Water Front Recreation Committee outcome
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon May 14, 07 7:29 am     Reply with quote

The big kiddie pool from last year is gone, but there are now 3 different flat water areas that you can ride depending on water level. We have the opportunity with the cleanup next weekend to fortify the upwind sides of a couple of these spots with logs/river rock/sand to make sure they stick around.

I had an awesome sesh last night in the middle pool post downwinder from Viento. There are few places in the world where there is consistently strong wind butter flat water. We have the option to make ours even bigger and better.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 14, 07 7:37 am     Reply with quote

what if we planted a little grass on the sandbar? Twisted Evil

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostMon May 14, 07 8:15 am     Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:
what if we planted a little grass on the sandbar? Twisted Evil

Might depend on what type of 'grass' you are hoping to plant Rolling Eyes

It might be a big stretch to believe we could grow grass at the Sandbar, but I'm into that idea. We discussed this a bit at the last CGKA meeting.
I'm definitely up for doing anything we can to make our launch a bit more friendly to kites.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostMon May 14, 07 8:57 am     Reply with quote

a little grass would be nice but what about an offical designation as a euro style topless beach

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostMon May 14, 07 9:52 am     Reply with quote

Hey all,

If you have a discussion point about kiteboarding access at the Event Site, send it to CGKA. When we were brainstorming last year about access due to NO sandbar, I brought up one option of using part of the Event Site temporarily until the bar came back, and it was STRONGLY vetoed by all (the kiters) in the room (I was very surprised). The reason I was given was that no one wants to step on the toes of windsurfers who worked hard for that site. This is understandable, but it's obvious that this topic is ongoing.

So, if you want to voice an opinion for kiting access, I'd direct it at CGKA because they're doing a bangup job and gaining steam and can comipile and field these requests.

In addition, I'd also direct suggestions to them about improvements and changes you'd like to see at the Spit, so they can compile and present these to the Port.

www.cgka.net
admin@CGKA.net

-Kirsten

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostMon May 14, 07 10:17 am     Reply with quote

shredbarbie wrote:
If you have a discussion point about kiteboarding access at the Event Site, send it to CGKA. -Kirsten

It's time to just let the Event Site go. There has been a lot of smack talkin on this forum describing windsurfers as "selfish" and "anti-kiteboarding" because of their supposed refusal to allow kites at the Event Site, only to have Bruce reveal that it was in fact the CGKA who suggested the no kite policy at the Event Site in the first place.

The second half of this thread is way more positive, and improving the Sandbar is the way to go. Afterall, the Event Site started as just a lot with a rocky shore line...

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon May 14, 07 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

Let's start a collection fund for topsoil and seed for the sandspit area above high tide

that way in a few years we'll have enough money to give ourselves a nice grassy tree lined lot which is nicer than the event site

Exclamation Idea Idea Idea Exclamation

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 14, 07 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

BigR wrote:
Let's start a collection fund for topsoil and seed for the sandspit area above high tide

that way in a few years we'll have enough money to give ourselves a nice grassy tree lined lot which is nicer than the event site

Exclamation Idea Idea Idea Exclamation

I was more thinking of transplanting some sea grass over there. It seems to work well in the sand at the coast, and is super easy to transplant.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: