Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Water Front Recreation Committee outcome
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1805 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed May 09, 07 9:08 am     Reply with quote

Snowmelter, sage words indeed. Thanks for the perspective as folks let their emotions, myself included, get involved.

Having said that i firmly believe that setting aside some lawn for kites provides a mixing place--a community of sorts--for both species of wind lovers to talk each other's language. It's a way to bring foks together. To me, if feels a bit too "Jim Crow" for my tastes at present. And yes, I also windsurf.

Regardless, you bring up good points and I appreciate your perspective to help lighten things up a bit.

Regards,
Eric

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed May 09, 07 9:20 am     Reply with quote

I went out solo at Mosier last night had a very nice windsurfer launch me and when I came in talked to him and his buddy for 20 min. I think the port is helping fuel a battle that does not need to be their kites and windsurfers can mix on land and water and they do not need to be seperated.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostWed May 09, 07 9:31 am    Re: Quit yer bitchin' everyone! Reply with quote

snowmeltriver wrote:
We have a giant sandbar to inflate, deflate, dry, and store our kites on. What is the issue here? Just park at the event site or the spit and WALK / WADE your shit to the sand, pump up, and ride. It's really not a big deal.

I think the issue is WHY are kiteboarders being excluded from a multi-use area? We all can agree that launching or rigging lines from event site in a multi-use area can lead to bad things. Pumping up a kite so we don't have to get our kite bags and pumps filled, soaked with water is a pain in the ass.
It seems that the decision was made because a concern of safety. Rightfully so. As people have stated, pumping up a kite safety issue is lack of understanding/knowledge of kites.
What should be address is how can us kiters ensure all kiters properly secure and not leave unattended gear laying around can address this issue. Can we require all kites have sand bags to secure them so they don't blow away and injure someone. Also we want to rig on the east end only, maybe "Warning: kite pumping area zone" signage with proper warning about run-away kites are dangerous would help? The safety issue can be addressed, just as the safety issue was addressed with adding the rigging security line at the event site for windsurfing.
Then maybe we can pump up on the grass?

Just my two cents.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed May 09, 07 9:33 am     Reply with quote

SNR - good points... I am really not that ruffled up about it, but I think the frustration that's there is that the message we have gotten from the port is to get organized body together if we want to see positive action on the parts of kiters. We do it, and it seems like nothing has changed.

Last Sunday's CGKA meeting was great, I think if all the Port members could have seen the group talk through the issues they would have seen that in general kiteboarders understand the issues at hand and are not trying to make unreasonable requests.

So we get the group together, have a great meeting, then the leaders take the issue to the committe meeting, and then it goes basically nowhere. Well-- maybe I shouldn't say that, maybe the idea of re-visiting the issue mid summer leaves the door open to getting the rules changed. I thank the CGKA BOD for stepping up and taking this issue forward and trying to get'er done.

Or - we could all take the stance of get what you are given and be happy. Works I guess, but it never hurts to try to get more for you and your sport.

I look forward to the cleanup party on the 19th, and the Kiteboarding For Cancer Event late summer, and the new Slider. Good times when kiters come together to help out.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed May 09, 07 9:41 am     Reply with quote

I too am looking forward to helping clean the sandbar. My concern is that we are LOSING 600' of sandbar. We have gained nothing and are losing....
Fair is fair. Lets be treated as equals.
Rant over.
Mark

www.naishkites.com

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostWed May 09, 07 10:27 am     Reply with quote

glad to see much more open discussion now. lets keep it coming.

im with eric in thinking the event site should live up to its name. a place for events.....sailing and kiting.....also a place where kiters and windsurfers can intermingle. good for both sports. also for the kiters with small kids the event site is a much beter place to hang than the sandspit. yet i have no problem with my kids walking around the kites. i do have problems with them around sails though.

ps: im a windsurfer

Kitebitch

Since 11 May 2007
2 Posts

PostFri May 11, 07 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

OK, I know this is a bit over the top and will piss some off, but this is a kite forum after all, and I see some people I have known and respected for a long time getting shit on for sticking up for the kiteboarders and as if we got something to loose? As far as I see it, that meeting was a total flop for the kiteboarders and fact is, they decide what they were going to do days before this so called public meeting. The sad part is, every year it get worse as the sport keeps growing. NO ONE GAVE A SHIT ABOUT THE SAND SPIT UNTILL KITEBOARDING AND THE FACT $$$ COULD BE MADE BY THE PORT. The sand spit was much better before the port did any improvements. We had shade and grass. Now we have sharp rocks, no shade or grass and lots of dust!

I wish everyone was aware of how one-sided this whole thing is. If you are not, then look into it a bit closer and learn the facts. Simply said, the kiteboarders are getting screwed!

Talked to a couple who just arrived to Hood River on vacation from Australia to kite and they are not only pissed about the lack of affordable camping, "close to town", but most of all the lack of kiteboarding locations. I told them to seek refuge on the Washington side since they are much more open minded and many good launches are not only available but free. Hood River used to be and easy going town but now is controlled by self-righteous, windsurfing, "not in my town", folks who originally came to HR car camping but for some reason feel beyond that now.

Could someone please arrange the opportunity for Bruce and or Steve to have the chance to hit me over the head 100 times with my inflated kite if I can just hit them one time with their windsurfing mast? I can kind of understand Bruce's hatred toward kiteboarding, since he only sells sails, but Steve who sells 2 major brands of kite gear at his shop? I think someone should bring his anti-kiteboarding mentality to the attention of North and Cabrinha. But then again he is a manipulative lire who will just steer them wrong and money talks and shit walks especially in HR.

As a long-time HR resident lady who never windsurfed or kiteboarded said it best, "Since when did we start drawing lines in the sand and decide who gets to play where in this town?"

I have been windsurfing 4 times longer than I have been kiteboarding and must say that I am embarrassed to be a windsurfer in HR. I think I am going to make my board into a slider. Oh, I hear that is illegal now as well. Hum, must be for your safety? or another way for them to make $$$$?

People are going to get hurt and or die from windsurfing and kiteboarding but does that mean we should ban it? Get real and grow up.

I give Stevenson all my best wishes and wish HR would take all the photos of kiteboarding out of their reality and town advertising since they are only giving a false impression of their so called acceptance and appreciation for kiteboarding.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 11, 07 3:37 pm     Reply with quote

money talks
bullshit walks

jimmi

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri May 11, 07 10:06 pm     Reply with quote

Very true Shastadogg....and I hope Kitebitch is a chica but you have to admit she's sporting a pair, is hilarious, and brings up some interesting points as well as every other hardcore kiter on this site. The CGKA got back-doored but give them props for charging hard and trying to go big in last week's meeting. Did 600 feet really turn into 1000 feet?? Who gives a shit. Let the event site go because we got new real estate to play on and the Port is being cool and accomodating to allow 4-wheel drives, chainsaws and anything else to get it cleaned up. It will be interesting to see how many windsurfers help the "cause" on the 19th but you know kiters will come from all over to push the stoke. Kitebitch is right....the Spit is a dust barrel and the last few weeks I've been enjoying the Event site parking lot very much. Let the CGKA rally to get the spit paved, possibly bring in a few truckloads of topsoil and toss some grass seeds down to see what pops up and our efforts might just create our own nirvana away from those heavy-ass head banging masts. I like windsurfing but I don't like how they judge me when I'm carrying a bag with a pump attached to it and don't even smile or say "hi" back. It's like I'm from the Evil Empire when I think we actually have very similar DNA so it's all good in the hood alright....and the swell of kiting is here to stay. Every kiter I've met in HR or Stevenson...funnier than shit and always willing to help launch / land whatever. I travel a lot for my job and I'm amazed at the global hype with kiting. Three years ago...nobody knew what I was doing...now everybody I meet knows somebody that kites thanks to great technology and safety. It's definitely the calm before the storm on how big it will be and you have to love tossing your "gear" in the trunk of your car to hit the beach, snow or water anytime I want and don't need a Greyhound bus to carry it around waiting for some serious big wind before I roll it out. Don't forget about the early days of snowboarding and how those damn boarder punks were screwing up the ski lines. Who won that fight??? Let the windsurfers have their say and their $5 parking and let's keep supporting the CGKA and their BOD because they will get the power in numbers and $$$ because if you look into the sky....the money is talking....so let the bullshit walk on the event site...for now. Patience my pretty.....patience.

Sorry for the rant everyone...I'm just still stoked about how good the Wind Gods were to us this past week and hope they will continue to bless us for the next 48 large.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1805 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat May 12, 07 8:11 am     Reply with quote

I wonder if our words will all begin to have a greater impact if we all start posting with our real names? In the end it will be about bringing wind enthusiasts on the same page. I think it can be done, but it may happen a few people at a time, and be slower than we want it to be.

Here goes:

Eric Cohn
Hood River: aka "Eric" on NWkite

bruce|peterson

Since 12 May 2007
2 Posts

PostSat May 12, 07 9:27 am     Reply with quote

Kitebitch wrote:

Could someone please arrange the opportunity for Bruce and or Steve to have the chance to hit me over the head 100 times with my inflated kite if I can just hit them one time with their windsurfing mast? I can kind of understand Bruce's hatred toward kiteboarding, since he only sells sails......

Since I have been referenced personally, I hope my personal reply will be accepted.

First, I don't hate kiteboarding. I run a windsurfing business. I am "pro" windsurfing, not "anti" kiteboarding. I do not promote windsurfing by bashing kiteboarding. There's plenty of wind and customers for both sports, so I choose to focus positively on what I know and do.

My position on kites at the Event Site has been to share the access but separate the launch zones. I'm on record with this at CGWA board meetings, Port Waterfront Recreational meetings and meetings with Port staff and I have actively participated in discussions to find safe solutions for all recreation users at the Event Site. Personally I don't have a problem with inflated kites on the grass (and have said so), but its not my decision.

However, at staff level meetings between CGKA, the CGWA and the Port earlier this spring, CGKA reps Jim and Cory introduced and advanced the idea that kites should be inflated only on the sandbar and not at the Event Site. Cory later modified his position to allow inflation/drying on the grass. The CGKA was NOT backdoored on this decision, as at the meetings I attended it was in fact the CGKA's stated position.

Bruce Peterson
Sailworks

Kitebitch

Since 11 May 2007
2 Posts

PostSun May 13, 07 12:38 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for steping up to the plate and setting things straight.

I appreciate you suppport and efforts. Sorry for the misunderstanding but hope you can understand our frustration with the situation.

I guess you can just hit me over the head with my inflated kite and just keep your mast with your sail.

As you know, we just all need to get along and stay away from the Dangler or hopefully get rid of him.

Looking forward to watching you riping on the water and look out for those silly slow zones. I hope all the windsurfers are not forced to do the 600 ft Hulla in and out of the event site. A windsurfer off plane has less control. As far as I see it, small kids / dogs and windsurfing equipment on a event site beach do not mix. Same for kiteboaring gear and kids / dogs. So should swiming and unatended kids even be at the event site? Hundreds of much better places to do that but only one event site.

kitetele

Since 20 Mar 2005
121 Posts
Portland, Oregon
Stoked

PostSun May 13, 07 9:44 pm    Event Site Reply with quote

I grew up thinking the Event Site was for windsurfers and the Sandbar was where I could go kiting. I was thinking that windsurfers were/are more established and kind of made their place what it is. The fact that the sandbar is huge now is pretty killer....enjoy it. We don't need to look for a peice of ass somewhere else. I would encourage making our sand castle kick ass with a grass bank of it's own, free parking, a wind break of natural material, seating, water rinse, compressor ....whatever we can dream up.

I am done....I must be high to even be posting on this subject...

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
    4329 Posts
    Hood River
    Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon May 14, 07 1:23 am     Reply with quote

I'm with Kitetele on this one, I think our Sand rocks and we could make it pretty sweet.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
    3677 Posts
    I need my fix because I'm a
    Naishaholic

PostMon May 14, 07 6:57 am     Reply with quote

We have lost some of our "sand" 600' worth.. Mad

www.naishkites.com

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
    4329 Posts
    Hood River
    Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon May 14, 07 7:00 am     Reply with quote

I hear ya, but that sand wasn't there before and I don't really remember kiting in front of the Event Site much last year, so long as they only get 600x600 we are in good shape. They're giving up the 600x600 foot square too, 5mph on a windsurfer is pretty painful.

I'm more upset about the big pool that used to be there last year being gone. Sad

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
    1823 Posts
    PDX/ White Salmon
    Mrs. Site Lackey

PostMon May 14, 07 7:28 am     Reply with quote

kitetele I like your idea, we have plenty of logs and rocks to build some cool stuff. Maybe we can add some grass on the edges of the parking or somewere to allow kites to dry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
    Page 2 of 3

Jump to: