Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kokatat Dry Suit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
mjevco

Since 31 Aug 2010
11 Posts

PostMon Aug 13, 18 11:58 am    Kokatat Dry Suit Reply with quote

Has anyone had experience with their dry suits for kite boarding?

They have some pretty sexy looking stuff - like this one:

https://kokatat.com/product/hydrus-3l-swift-entry-dry-suit-dsuhse

Seems like this product would work well for our sport. I called their customer support and the guy was kind of negative on it. Said they don't work out to well for kite boarding, says they can't handle the wear and tear at the harness area. He said people end up adding padding under their harness to make it work. It seems that if your harness is fitting right, you shouldn't get so much movement there and the wear wouldn't be so great.

I use an OR Soul - It is really a nice product, fit is good, but a little bulky - the extra jacket material kinda gets in the way when rigging on the harness (Ride Engine for me). It shows nearly zero wear at the waist or anywhere after 75 sessions or so. The pee zip is great when you need it, and its kind fashionable!

What kind of dry suit do you have if you have one and what do you like about it?

Thanks!

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Aug 13, 18 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

I've been using this suit for the last couple of seasons.

I am happy with the suit as I can simply change my under layers depending upon the conditions.

I wear a seat harness.

It does put a little pressure on the inner seam between your legs at times. It is important to make sure you have available slack in your suit anywhere your harness has a pressure point. For me this means that sometimes I have to move my rubber seals up my ankle an extra inch or so. I have yet to see any noticeable wear or issues.

I don't particularly like the expandable waist pull string. When you pull it tight it leaves a loop at your belly button that can get caught in your kite gear. I would prefer they developed a latching belt solution with an option to store the slack somewhere.

When it wears out I will probably repair or replace with a similar model as I am overall a happy customer.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Aug 13, 18 12:53 pm     Reply with quote

After re-reading your post I have an additional comment.

If your concern is regarding loose bulk, this may not be the suit for you.

A shell will naturally be loose fitting and bulky.

For me, my seat harness and impact vest keep everything compressed to my body from my thighs up to my neckline.

I do not notice the loose bulky material around my arms or lower legs... But they are there.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 13, 18 6:26 pm     Reply with quote

I've heard of the kokatat unzipping due to the harness movement.
I would consider the ocean rodeo heat. KISS
no pee zip, no hood, one pocket, goes on quick and easy. get it with built in socks.
game changer for cold weather kiting.

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 13, 18 8:22 pm     Reply with quote

I have used my kokotat gore tex dry suit for kiting and teaching kiting many times and it works great! Plus it has sewn in gore tex feet so I wear wool socks that keep my feet dry and toasty. Plus the pee zipper rules. I had it left over from my kayaking days, so it was a no brainer. If you have to purchase, maybe go with a different brand like posted because maybe the zippers come undone if riding for hours and hours, but I never used mine that hard. I really liked it when I had to swim to get students and kites back to the beach in April!

mjevco

Since 31 Aug 2010
11 Posts

PostTue Aug 14, 18 5:46 am     Reply with quote

Appreciate everyone's comments!

I think any dry suit is gonna have bulk. even just from your undergarments. Nothing will be as sleek as a well fitting wet suit. But the OR jacket(s) simply gets in the way of putting your harness on your waist.

Interesting note about the Kokatat zipper tweaking open from the harness movement. That would kill your session with water coming in.

To bad Patagonia quit making their dry suit, they went o sale at a good price about two years ago and the stock is gone! It would be nice to find one in size large.

Dry suit socks are another issue. Truly, they seem like they would make your feet fit uncomfortably in your board straps. So, I assume that you would wear a booty over the sock to protect your dry suit. Again, this seems like to much bulk.

Hmmm...maybe an O'neill Boost is still the best thing going. It price performs and show no dirt!

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 14, 18 6:12 am     Reply with quote

Had the Boost but the neoprene cuffs leaked on me too much. I have a Soul now and use the Dakine Chameleon harness with it. Basically a waist harness with removable leg straps, I can leave it quite loose but wear it under the jacket of the Soul. That Kotatat does look good

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 14, 18 7:41 am     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
I've heard of the kokatat unzipping due to the harness movement.
I would consider the ocean rodeo heat. KISS
no pee zip, no hood, one pocket, goes on quick and easy. get it with built in socks.
game changer for cold weather kiting.

Don't believe it is from harness movement, but yes I can attest that on two separate occasions I had to come to shore because I felt cold water in my Kokatat suit. Turns out I hadn't completely closed my zipper. The last inch of the zipper is a bit thicker and requires pulling harder to close. It's easy to not get it seated.

Stringy - on a side note the Pee Zip comment brought back a funny memory from a couple years ago at Rufus I'm sure you will laugh about.

There was a kiter that forgot to do his pee zipper up. He had already launched before he figured it out so another kiter graciously helped him to zip it up (the guy's kite with the zipper was still in the air). Hey in the off season kiters really look out for each other...

I was kiting in close to try to see what the problem was and saw these two struggling to get his pee zipper up. One of the funniest moments because everyone was laughing so hard they just couldn't get the pee zipper zipped.

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostTue Aug 14, 18 9:59 pm     Reply with quote

Ten years on a Kokatat without a zipper incident. One of the advantages is the non-restrictive nature it doesnt constrict your arms like a wetsuit - it's like riding in pajamas. I prefer latex ankle seals so I can use whatever booties/socks. Goretex will offer higher impact strength over Hydrus.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 14, 18 11:07 pm     Reply with quote

Kokatat is the gold standard of drysuits. There are produced at a completely different level hence they are double and even triple the price of the standard kayaking drysuit.

A big plus is their continued support of the suit with repair and pressure test services after your drysuit begins to leak. Sure you will have to pay for theses services but at least they are available and relatively close by in Seattle.

It is true that its not designed for kitesurfing but I don't think that the kitesurfing suits that cost 50% less are anymore kitesurfing specific.

The problem with other kayak drysuits is there is actually no repair service available. I got a half price deal on a Palm Stikine a decade ago. It was bomber. 300 whitewater kayak runs later and three neck gasket replacements and finally it sprung a leak in the seat. But I cannot get it repaired as Kokatat only services its own suits.

Hitting up commercial scuba diving drysuit repair shops is not an option since the repair will cost more than the suit.

So you can buy a suit that costs less and end up buying two over the the course of use of buy one Kokatat and have it repaired. Either way you end up financially in the same place.

If you get a kokatat you have the most expensive piece of kit for whitewater kayaking so why not take the plunge and pick up a used boat for $400. Whitewater kayaking in the Pacific Northwest is epic and takes place right in the middle of the Columbia Gorge.
Its actually a rainy season sport not a summer thing. So all of a sudden you are having pray for rain parties instead of pray for wind parties. A great compliment to kitesurfing.

I have found it to be a super epic activity and surprised that there is not more crossover between the two sports.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 14, 18 11:16 pm     Reply with quote

I looked up the link you included. I was surprised to find it priced at $545. I am used to seeing kokatats prices north of $1,000. $545 with continued access to paid repair services seems like a good deal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: