Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cabrinha Crossbow DEMOs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
butchtoo

PostFri Jul 22, 05 2:41 pm    Cabrinha Crossbow DEMOs Reply with quote

There are 2 Demos scheduled in the next couple of the weeks for the new Cabrinha Crossbow. In addition, personal Demos can be scheduled by calling Real Wind Board Sports in Hood River.

Demos:

Saturday, July 23 (rain day Sunday the 24th), at The Spit in Hood River, noon - 6pm.

Saturday, August 13 (rain day the 14th), at The Spit in Hood River, noon - 6pm.

Personal Demo:

Call Real Wind Board Sports (541) 386-3693, to arrange for a demo on the Crossbow at a time other than the 2 Saturdays listed above. Please note that the personal demos are limited and times might not be available.

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 23, 05 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks to Ken for the great opportunity to demo the new Crossbows today. Dano tested the 9 (yellow/ black) and 12 (blue/ black) and I rode the 9 -very impressive as it was 25-30 and gusty and I'm only 110lbs. I was able to ride the 9 safely and would normally be on my 5 in those winds. What a fun kite - I didn't jump with it as it was super crowded in the spit, but transitions were smooth, it's depower was amazing when I lost my board, and it rips upwind. Dano was on the 12 when other guys were riding 7s and 8s in other kites. Pretty cool, but I want to see what SS puts out for '06.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 23, 05 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

Yoh, Ken mentioned these X-bows were some of the 1st production kites to hit the states "last night." From prototype to production, it looks like they've fine tuned the bar depower system with an adjustable (allen wrench) break-away stopper-ball. Pushing bar through break-away stopper-ball allows for full depower of the kite. When testing on both kites, it allowed the kite to have a controlled descent. During one gust on the 12, the bar did pull through the stopper but I was easily able to re-set it while riding.

Power and depower system works well. It's true, the range is huge on these kites. Performance was solid, but required a lot of bar pressure to keep the kite fully powered (especially on the 9 as I was slightly underpowered). Both kites steered quickly even while depowered.

Jumping takes a little time to adjust to because you have to pull in on the bar while airborne to get maximum heighth, distance, and hangtime. After 30 minutes, I had it mostly figured out and was catching some good air time. The "alien spaceship" design provided for a crazy-long glide path to very controlled landing (via micro-adjustments to the bar).

Carving and jibing can be done fully powered up as you have full control of the power via micro-adjustments.

Water-relaunch was similar to the ease of a 5th line system.

Testing data: 200lb rider, wind 18-32 (event site), 137cm board.

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 23, 05 10:10 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Jumping takes a little time to adjust to because you have to pull in on the bar while airborne to get maximum heighth, distance, and hangtime. After 30 minutes, I had it mostly figured out and was catching some good air time. The "alien spaceship" design provided for a crazy-long glide path to very controlled landing

I agree 100% , thanks Ken for doing a great job on the demo's Very Happy

My wife, 119#'s 20-30knts 130cm board, went out first on the 8m nitro
and she was overpowered most of the time. switched to the 6.5 and was perfect. then she went on the 9 Xbow and totally loved it. we could hardly get the kite away from her. she said it covered both kite ranges and more
plus made her feel very confident and felt the kite was very stable compared to the smaller kites.

My turn on the 9m Xbow, 200#'s , the first feeling that comes to mind is easily in control.
going upwind to well's island is like butter , spreads fast and easy.
launching good jumps takes a little technique, high jumps with excellent hang but requires being sheeted in to do so. bar pressure wasn't too pronounced. turning was very fast and responsive. basically the kite can handle the wind range of a 6-12m kite at least. downwind was totally
different, instead of moving the kite across the zone just sheet in or out.
the kite is built for waves, racing and jumps IMHO.

Next I went on the 12m in the same winds. I felt the range and depower
was still there just shifted up the length of the throw a little more.
bar pressure is completely gone but still extremely controllable and fast in these winds. I never thought a 12m could be used in up to 30knt wind but this kite can. low end will have to be tested another time. construction looks top notch and only took a few minutes to get the kite out of the box brand new and into the air.

About the only thing I can find fault is the inability to lock in the loop which would be important for light winds or getting bigger jumps (at least for me)

In all, I really liked the kite but the ride gets a little getting used to at first because of the range of wind possible for the amount of sheeting action but after that it's all good

simplelife

Since 06 Jul 2005
5 Posts

Kook

PostSun Jul 24, 05 3:24 pm     Reply with quote

Take a look at this link for a supposed picture of Mark Shinn launching the Crossbow:http://www.dlight.net/html/webcambig.htm
Obviously, under those conditions with that rider-level any kite might launch a bit 'high'.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Jul 24, 05 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

simplelife wrote:
Take a look at this link for a supposed picture of Mark Shinn launching the Crossbow:http://www.dlight.net/html/webcambig.htm
Obviously, under those conditions with that rider-level any kite might launch a bit 'high'.

Shocked

That is pretty damn high! is Mark Shinn switching brands? I heard he wasn't a Naish Team Rider anymore...

I think the real advantage of the Crossbow for jumping is going out in conditions where you'd normally be totally overpowered. 38 knots, usually you'd never touch a 9m in those conditions... but a Crossbow...

simplelife

Since 06 Jul 2005
5 Posts

Kook

PostMon Jul 25, 05 6:02 pm     Reply with quote

There is a fairly lengthy forum going on about the crossbow at kiteforum.com and ikiteboarding.com. Shinn gives a quick review of kite at the kiteforum.com site. I wonder if other companies will purchase patent rights to follow with design. Something tells me that Cabrinha, or someone else, will have something 'revolutionary' next year, claiming the crossbow is obsolete and everything else besides their kite. Any kiteboarding is good kiteboarding in my book. It's all fun.

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 11, 05 4:53 am     Reply with quote

There is another CrossBow Demo this Saturday, August 13, at the Spit in Hood River. See ya there.

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostThu Aug 11, 05 1:32 pm     Reply with quote

luke,

looks like east winds this weekend. any chance of moving to sauvie island for this event? looks like it will blow here in town. or even rooster for the easterlies would be nice.

kt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: