Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

More solar powered air compressors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu May 03, 07 3:29 pm    More solar powered air compressors Reply with quote

If this could run off of a car battery, it should be good for batteries backed by solar panels right?

http://www.oasismfg.com/p7.html

(Thanks for the link Nak!)

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu May 03, 07 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

Is this something that could be locked up at the end of the day? Or would it be left out - which would then lead to the question - would it be safe left out? Would someone steal it - or mess with it - maybe carve their initials in it?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu May 03, 07 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

That's why you need the steel cage bolted to a cement foundation. Very Happy

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu May 03, 07 6:08 pm     Reply with quote

and bury that in the ground Confused

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu May 03, 07 6:14 pm     Reply with quote

That's what I'm talking about! Wonder how long it'd last though since it'd be running constantly during the summer... Even the bigger, AC ones we use working on car shit start to get insanely hot when running a die grinder, etc. (anything that uses a constant flow of air).

Waaaay easier than running having solar cells, a voltage regulator, tons of batteries, and an inverter.

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostThu May 03, 07 6:53 pm     Reply with quote

You also need to think about maintance (i.e. changing the oil in the compressor, and daily draining of water from the compression chamber.
Then theres new lines and fittings.
If this is something you really want to do you should factor in all of your costs, compressor, steel cage, lock protector (so no one can cut the lock), compressor maintance, fittings, lines, and keys to the system. You are probably looking at $2k. Let do the math, that's only $20 per person if you get 100 kiterdudes to pony up.

Im In Thumb's Up

Let me know if you need any emanual labor for the installation, I have people.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu May 03, 07 8:12 pm     Reply with quote

I talked to a dude at the company, here's some interesting info:

- The compressor will drain a regular car battery in 1 minute if you run it non stop, but he recommended some giant batteries you can get that will run if for about 15 minutes straight. Daisy chain a couple...

- He said you could easily add a 30-40 gallon air tank to the setup and fill it to 150 psi. From that you could fill a bunch of kites, tank is like a big capacitor. He said it could fill the tank in 5 minutes.

- The compressor runs at over 10 cfm at low PSI, same as shop air compressor!

Now we just need to figure out how much solar we need.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri May 04, 07 2:18 am     Reply with quote

I have a 1978 VW Bus that is my daily driver in the summer. We could place/bolt a large compressor inside of it, along with a large hose. I could charge it at night at home, and drive it down to the sandbar and just leave the hose hanging out for people to use. When it's empty, people will just have to start using pumps.

There is a pic of the bus here:
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-3812.html

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri May 04, 07 6:45 am     Reply with quote

Here's the battery recommended by the air compressor company:
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc2150.htm

He said one should run the air compressor for 15 minutes straight.

One way to think about this is you start the batteries with a full charge and get a giant air tank that you fill to the brim by keeping the air compressor hooked up to a car. Then the solar panels are really just topping off what's already there, and you have probably 8 hours of sunlight when people aren't using the pump to refill the batteries.

If you always flip the compressor off when people aren't using it then the batteries can charge. You could also run off the tank with the compressor off.

If someone has solar / windmill experience that's what we need to figure out next. I really like the idea of a windmill...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri May 04, 07 6:47 am     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
I have a 1978 VW Bus that is my daily driver in the summer. We could place/bolt a large compressor inside of it, along with a large hose. I could charge it at night at home, and drive it down to the sandbar and just leave the hose hanging out for people to use. When it's empty, people will just have to start using pumps.

There is a pic of the bus here:
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-3812.html

I like the idea of a car mount but unless we kept the car running we'd run out the battery in a minute according to the manufacture. Now what about mounting a 100 gallon air tank, the compressor, 2 huge batteries, and roof solar panels and making it a permanent fixture at the sandbar. Very Happy

It would be ghetto fabulous, but you have a built in gas powered generator and means to transport the gear end of season.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri May 04, 07 7:27 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
I like the idea of a car mount but unless we kept the car running we'd run out the battery in a minute according to the manufacture. Now what about mounting a 100 gallon air tank, the compressor, 2 huge batteries, and roof solar panels and making it a permanent fixture at the sandbar. Very Happy

It would be ghetto fabulous, but you have a built in gas powered generator and means to transport the gear end of season.

Are you trying to steal my bus? JK. That'd be awesome, but I need my bus. I had planned on putting a compressor in it for a long time, but just something I would plugin to an external power source at my house. If and when I do this, it'll be available for everyone!

How many gallons of compressed air at 100 psi does it take to inflate a regular 12m kite?

kitekid

Since 15 Apr 2007
170 Posts

Stoked

PostFri May 04, 07 7:33 am     Reply with quote

is there some type of thing you could crank or miniture wind mill that you could generate power with or just make it gas powered but then you run into the 4$ a gallon thing, or you could charge like 10 cents for each use then you would have money to buy gas

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 04, 07 7:45 am     Reply with quote

there's plenty of dead busses for sale! Smile
we can use the ford to drag it out there!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri May 04, 07 9:54 am     Reply with quote

I look into the solar stuff to charge the batteries. It shouldn't be too complicated.

Don't really think we need to worry about flipping the power off either if we got the one with a pressure switch.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri May 04, 07 1:22 pm     Reply with quote

Here's another air compressor for about half the price and power requirements:

http://offroadrecovery.com/product/007-222

Its also about half the volume of air (6 CFM), but that's still not that bad... especially if we had a monster tank.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: