Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Event Site - natural division
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jeffreyc

Since 23 Aug 2006
43 Posts

PostTue May 01, 07 2:32 pm    Event Site - natural division Reply with quote

Let me start my saying that I agree that we need to respect the wishes of the port when we use the event site for our kiting activities; however, I can see that both groups of users (kites & sails) can share this space...happily with minimal issue. Here's why:

The majority of the windsurfers are going to gravitate to the west end of the beach because they want to enter the water and reach away from the newly formed sandbar blocking the east end. When they return to the beach, most are also choosing to park their gear on the west end.

Kiters primarily want to use the east end because they want to walk the shortest distance to the new sandbar. At the end of the section, kiters tend to want to dry their kites on the east end because it gets wet on the walk back.

The division is not equal. The sails need more room because it's the beach where they rig, rest and hang. Kites primarily spend most of their time on the sand.

It's a beautiful thing. A natural division. Herbivores and carnivores living and playing together on the same beach and very few get eat’n. (The bleak reality is that at the rate the sandbar is moving west, the event site will be completely blocked and we all will be walking to get to the water in a couple of years)

Any thoughts
Jeff C

shared beach.jpg 

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue May 01, 07 3:14 pm     Reply with quote

Approved.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue May 01, 07 3:26 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea to me. However, I just can't see how the windsurfers are going to agree to this - that they will give up something and get nothing in return.

Right now I don't think its a big deal - probably most windsurfers don't mind too much (just my feeling) however, when it gets hotter and the winds start picking up - there is barely enough room at the event site for all the windsurfers. I can't imagine why they would give up a piece of their real estate when there will be a shortage of real estate in the summer (Granted, as Jeffery points out its not all that valuable of real estate due to the blocked access, but it still has some utility to the windsurfers).

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostTue May 01, 07 3:29 pm     Reply with quote

Dream on...

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue May 01, 07 4:33 pm     Reply with quote

terremoto wrote:
- that they will give up something and get nothing in return.

You mean like us giving up 600'?

www.naishkites.com

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue May 01, 07 8:21 pm     Reply with quote

Make a difference by attending local Port and Waterfront Recreation meetings with your proposals.
Tonights meeting would have been one of your last opportunities until next Fall.
I just got out of the last Port of Hood River public meeting an hour ago. The final discussions on the signage and zoning for the Event Site and Sandbar was reviewed for public feedback and passed on for review with via the Waterfront Recreation Committee before going to print.

Presenting ideas via an organized association that has established safety and multi-user interests is the best way to get anything listened to or accomplished.

Out of all the people in attendance, I was the only Kiter (other than Sheri Bohn- Port Commissioner).
Where was everyone else?
The windsurf rep's were all there.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue May 01, 07 8:54 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
terremoto wrote:
- that they will give up something and get nothing in return.

You mean like us giving up 600'?

Nah, thats not what I mean. They are pretty much just going to take that 600 feet without having to give anything up. I mean we would have to give them something they don't already have. Its all about barganing - why bargain for something when you can just take it. We would have to give them something else in exchange for that land.

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostTue May 01, 07 9:00 pm     Reply with quote

pepi, are you saying that none of our kite association board members were at this important port meeting? where was shredjim or magicmaker? what are my cgka dues working for?
Last edited by endoshred on Tue May 01, 07 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue May 01, 07 9:01 pm     Reply with quote

Good point Pepi, once again forum talk is cheap on this subject, actions speak louder than posts... sounds like we need some better Hood River coverage in the CGKA. Maybe some elections are in order at the next meeting (this Sunday):

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-4359.html

Reminder, here's where the Port meeting info is:

http://www.portofhoodriver.com/Commission%20Info/Meeting%20Info.htm

Quote:
The Port Commission regular meetings are held the first and third (if needed) Tuesday of each month
Expo Center Conference Room, 405 Portway Avenue, Hood River, Oregon

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue May 01, 07 10:31 pm     Reply with quote

If there is talk of elections at the next meeting, I'd like to put my name in the hat to do something, anything really. I can't make the meeting as I'm out of town until May 16th.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue May 01, 07 10:32 pm     Reply with quote

original post edited so that I could forget all about the CGKA and just go to bed.
Last edited by pdxmonkeyboy on Tue May 01, 07 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue May 01, 07 10:35 pm     Reply with quote

We've sort of been over this before PMB. We all came to the conclusion that fresh blood through elections would be a good problem solver. Oh, not to dog on the current leaders of CGKA, they stepped up in the beginning because there was no one else to step up.

PHK, how's the Wiki coming, anything I can do to help?

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostTue May 01, 07 10:42 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:

Out of all the people in attendance, I was the only Kiter (other than Sheri Bohn- Port Commissioner).
Where was everyone else?

Pepi

Sorry I missed that one, I was busy cutting a kiter up into chunks, including his pink sneakers, and feeding him to my dog (he threw up). They also make good fertilizer I guess, anybody ever tried sprinkling em in the garden? :.................. Very Happy Shocked

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed May 02, 07 6:28 am     Reply with quote

I can try to have wiki online by the meeting.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed May 02, 07 7:00 am     Reply with quote

There is going to be a changing of the guard in relation to the BOD and this is a key topic that will be addressed at the meeting.

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostWed May 02, 07 7:24 am     Reply with quote

Shocked Very Happy

gaybar.jpg 

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed May 02, 07 8:02 am     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
Presenting ideas via an organized association that has established safety and multi-user interests is the best way to get anything listened to or accomplished.

Where was everyone else?

umm, where was this announcement posted? I visited the portofhoodrivers website last week and saw nothing of this meeting. i would have attended but i had no idea it was going on Mad

endo- also please note i am not an officer yet, i am just helping things getting going until new officers are elected.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: