Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

sandbar pix from yesturday april 30th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue May 01, 07 8:51 am    sandbar pix from yesturday april 30th Reply with quote

local boys were definately tearing it up yesturday Exclamation Exclamation

brad_boost
 brad_boost  brad_boost.jpg 
sending_it
 sending_it  sending_it.jpg 
jake_railey_1
 jake_railey_1  jake_railey_1.jpg 
joby_hp_1
 joby_hp_1  joby_hp_1.jpg 
tekko_sliding
 tekko_sliding  tekko_slider.jpg 
kites
 kites  kites.jpg 
jake_railey_2
 jake_railey_2  jake_railey_2.jpg 
joby_hp_2
 joby_hp_2  joby_hp_2.jpg 
tekko
 tekko  tekko_table.jpg 
tekko_kicker
 tekko_kicker  tekko_little_kicker.jpg 
nick_railey
 nick_railey  nick_railey.jpg 
joby_table
 joby_table  joby_table_1.jpg 

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostTue May 01, 07 9:53 am     Reply with quote

Nice pics! I totally thought the "little kicker" was a crashed windsurfer at first. I thought to myself "Wow, that guy must be really committed to freestyle kiting to hold his breath while someone slides his board". Looks like a sweet playground you guys had setup.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue May 01, 07 11:15 am     Reply with quote

Sooo...what happens to your shins if you under hop on approach to the picnic table?

Shocked

I think I could handle the upside windsurfer... Very Happy

Barfly, you still have a 12'er in the gargage...let's get that going!

tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostTue May 01, 07 11:59 am     Reply with quote

adam- Thanks for posting the pics.

Joby was killing it yesterday on his new LF Mig's. Spinning tabletop 3's all afternoon.

I was fully kooking out, just trying to stop being a chicken and make contact on the offside. Very motivating when Joby keeps styling it and spinning, making the pass and riding away. Makes you at least want to touch the thing.

Slither- answer to your question:

What happens if you come up short???

DON'T!! And make sure if there is any chance of it that you are unhooked and ready to drop your kite at any moment. As you can see from my own chicken fears in the pic.. coming at it with kite higher (more hang) and just barely making a touch, ollieing upwind from below. That way you are always in a position to be pulled downwind or across the object, rather than pulled through it.

The windsurfer ramp Joby built is about as easy/forgiving as it gets for learning. One end is in the water, so you can ride up on it will little ollie and it angles off the wind, so even if you are on your face, you will slide up and over it. As a hidden benefit, it is slightly unbalanced and teatering, so if you walk or slide or crash up it, once past center it will teater down and you will slide off a downramp.

Joby has begun construction for a bigger feature, but until then we are trying to make so fun stuff junk yard style. Will all of the natural wood, we just need some sliding surfaces...

If anyone has old windsurfers, trex decking, pvc pipe or other surplus sliding surfaces please speak up. Joby can whip out frames/supports pretty easy and we'll get more stuff out on the water! This will at least tide us over and give some people something to learn on while waiting on bigger park features.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue May 01, 07 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

tekko wrote:
I was fully kooking out, just trying to stop being a chicken and make contact on the offside. Very motivating when Joby keeps styling it and spinning, making the pass and riding away. Makes you at least want to touch the thing.

You're a bad Mofo Thumb's Up

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue May 01, 07 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

tekko wrote:
adam- Thanks for posting the pics.

sure thing Thumb's Up if i can't go kiting cause work is keeping my down (on call) i might as well put the camera to good use.

I have the multiple frame shot of you hitting the slider, i just haven't figured out how to break up the images and put them in order to show the sequence. f'ing photoshop is way to complex to figure out, anybody else know a good program for this?

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue May 01, 07 3:48 pm     Reply with quote

homeboy edited his hi-res shot, here it is scaled down to 800x575, if anybody else wants the hi-res shots, just send a pm.

railey_edit_3.jpg 

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue May 01, 07 4:29 pm     Reply with quote

Sweet action!
What are the ramifications of hitting a small slider ( say the windsurfer board ) while hooked in? If you are using a SLE isn't much like going up a big swell?

www.naishkites.com

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed May 02, 07 7:52 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
What are the ramifications of hitting a small slider ( say the windsurfer board ) while hooked in? If you are using a SLE isn't much like going up a big swell?

well having not hit a slider yet (but i probably will if the wind blows this weekend), i can only conjecture that it would be similiar to doing a kite loop hooked in; you get yanked at the hips/harness instead of being yanked by the arms having less freedom of movement and control and also getting worked a lot harder if you somehow mess up.

You'd probably be alright hitting the surfboard kicker hooked in but, we should all work on unhooking more Idea

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed May 02, 07 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

You're going to need to move your body all around. It's like in snowboarding. You want softer boots, possibly even super loose boots so that you can move your body/hands/arms/hips around without that translating into board movement. Honestly though, I would hit it however I feel comfortable... Ultimately its you that pays the price for crashing.

On some of the bigger sliders I've noticed in the videos most of the guys are unhooked without a leash. I totally understand why, watch Jason Slezak's segment in Unhooked 2 on the camel toe. IIRC he broke a few disks in his back and was out for months.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: