Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Heceta Beach / Florence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
DavidT

Since 30 Oct 2010
17 Posts
Vancouver, BC, Canada

PostFri Jul 20, 18 12:12 pm    Heceta Beach / Florence Reply with quote

Hi all, I’m going to be staying in Heceta Beach for a week at the end of August. Everything that I’ve read on the forum here suggests kiting south of the jetty in Florence with the northerly summer winds. Just wondering if it works to kite Heceta Beach like just out front the Driftwood Shores resort? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. Good winds!

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 20, 18 12:37 pm     Reply with quote

It's possible to kite north of the jetty. People do it but on south winds. The 2 issues are 1) the north jetty and/or river mouth is a very dangerous place to wash up if you lose your board, crash your kite or can't stay up wind. 2) when kiting at south jetty on north winds the jetty serves as a nice barrier to mixed swell out of the north and can provide sometimes cleaner and smaller swell if you want it near the jetty.

DavidT

Since 30 Oct 2010
17 Posts
Vancouver, BC, Canada

PostFri Jul 20, 18 2:40 pm     Reply with quote

Perfect, thanks for the info. Makes sense, silly, but I never really thought about how drifting towards a river outlet could be a free ticket to japan. Duh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: