Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

scammer on ikitesurf classifieds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
danielh

Since 06 Jul 2008
162 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jul 13, 18 4:37 pm    scammer on ikitesurf classifieds Reply with quote

Heads up to a persistent scammer on ikitesurf classifieds.
Being a HS English teacher, the plagiarism ticks me off as much as the scamming.
Whoever this person is likes to copy and paste photos and text from Seabreeze in Australia, though I'm sure they will lift any images they find useful from anywhere.

They know a bit about gear, and how to price it to get our attention. Their user names are lame, however, and you'll often find cool gear coming from unlikely locations. The perp wants to receive payment via Google pay and any attempt to discuss the use of paypal or make phone contact and they disappear.

I have been reporting the ads to ikitesurf, but they reappear in hours with a different user name and location. Whack-a-mole.

Due diligence: a quick Google search will likely pick up the original text and/or photos.

Of course, dealing locally is nice; I prefer that of course, but the items I end up wanting are not always available, even in our mecca.

To better people and good wind,

Daniel

CTkiter

Since 27 May 2011
87 Posts

PostFri Jul 13, 18 9:53 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the same person tried to scam me also. In ikitesurf he claimed to be from Michigan, selling a 2016 crazyfly raptor 135cm board for $250. He also had a North Team series board with bindings for $350....too good to be true prices, and several other items.

He initially insisted to be payed via google pay, then eventually gave into payment via paypal, but what was odd is he said that he just opened the paypal account, his email/username was kiteauction@gmail.com. He was quick to respond through the initial interactions, then after receiving the paypal payment, when I had questions about shipping the item, he refused to respond. I got concerned, and started digging around, and I also found duplicate posts for all gear (exact non stock photos with verbatim descriptions) on seabreeze forums in Australia. I contacted Paypal and told them it was an unauthorized transaction, and they put a hold on the transaction and cancelled it, likely only worked since his Paypal account was likely new. I contacted my CC linked to PP also.

He then out of nowhere decided to contact me, probably since he could not withdraw the money since I reported it to Paypal as unauthorized, he asked why I did that, that he would have refunded my money, and then attempted to try and convince me that the post on seabreeze forums was a fraud and that he was legit, then before I reported it to ikitesurf he pulled down all his listings.

I reported him to ikitesurf, and they said they deleted his account due to my complaint, and complaints from othey buyers. Really a bummer, as I have bought gear in the past from both ikitesurf classifieds, and even seabreeze classifieds (got good prices with the AUD to USD exchange rates in the past), and never had anything like this happen till now.

Yes, reviewing google images for duplicate images located in multiple forums and classifieds is a good idea.

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostFri Jul 13, 18 11:08 pm     Reply with quote

this has been going on for a year or more ... he tried to scam my friend on a foil last year. I started reporting the fake ads for a while, then gave up. The scammer doesn't seem to be sophisticated, so he's likely doing it all from same IP address.....so I am surprised the ikitesurf people can't ban that IP. They assured me they watch and delete them as they arise, but doesn't seem to be effective. When there are multiple obvious fake ads and people getting scammed, it reflects quite poorly on their site.

butch simones

Since 30 Sep 2016
59 Posts
N.H.

PostSat Jul 14, 18 7:04 pm    Thank you !!!!! Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this warning !!!! I was minutes away from sending this guy $210 for an Ozone bar . Thankfully I read your post !
Butch

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 07, 19 9:41 am     Reply with quote

I just ran into a scammer on ikitesurf. They wanted payment via Walmart to Walmart or via Bitcoin. They failed to provide any followup pics. Seller (Supose) has 5 listings. I was able to track down the picture sources on four of them, scammer got them from seabreeze.com.au, all from different users.

This was the listing I was interested in

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/41569

and the source

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifieds/Kitesurfing-Kites/~lm6ns/2016-North-Neo-11-metre.aspx

I notified support at ikitesurf about it, hopefully it'll be removed.

Last edited by jeremy on Mon Jul 08, 19 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 08, 19 7:42 am     Reply with quote

you think this is legit? My GF just bought a Carved 6 from him.

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/42513

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 08, 19 7:48 am     Reply with quote

Absolutely looks bogus.
I want to see pictures of the actual gear in somebody's yard or living room table.
Also the ad follows the same format as other bogus ads. Same language, reason for selling, etc.
The ads show pictures of items in an online shopping cart - he hasn't checked them out and actually paid for them.
If it were me I'd attempt to cancel and stop payment.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jul 09, 19 7:48 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Absolutely looks bogus.
I want to see pictures of the actual gear in somebody's yard or living room table.
Also the ad follows the same format as other bogus ads. Same language, reason for selling, etc.
The ads show pictures of items in an online shopping cart - he hasn't checked them out and actually paid for them.
If it were me I'd attempt to cancel and stop payment.

He sent her pick of the shipping package and they communicated on FB, he seemed legit but i doubt it for that price.
Plus the last name, it is the world hot dog eating champ.
Cant imagine it was legit.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jul 09, 19 10:58 am     Reply with quote

board showed up as described. Pretty amazed. No scam here.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 09, 19 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

I'm happy to be wrong!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Jul 09, 19 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

probably best not complain about the board if you dont like it

jonniedontplay:o

11212172_10203947279703028_8442993201360398124_o.jpg 
   464520_3123639650614_1739308448_o.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: