Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Stolen gear from car in Portland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
boardsportsrule

Since 02 Jul 2018
4 Posts

Kook

PostMon Jul 02, 18 6:33 pm    Stolen gear from car in Portland Reply with quote

My sisters car was stolen in Portland last night, along with her 2018 Slingshot gear she just bought to learn to kite.

The missing gear is:
6m Rally (black, blue and orange)
9m Rally (black, blue and orange)
11m Rally (black, blue and orange, unopened)
136cm Misfit (has her name on it)
20" bar
WMFG pump

Please let us know if you see gear matching this description.

Thanks,

boardsportsrule

Since 02 Jul 2018
4 Posts

Kook

PostMon Jul 02, 18 7:09 pm     Reply with quote

Oh yeah, the car was stolen as well. White Toyota Matrix, 2006. Dark tinted windows, oregon plates (probably swapped now). Some stickers along the back, manual transmission, rocket box & roof rack.

Last seen on the 1st of July around 80th and SE holgate around 10pm. Missing by 5am on the 2nd.

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostMon Jul 02, 18 9:03 pm     Reply with quote

Do you have the kite serial #'s by chance? That will help if the kites are found for sale somewhere.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 03, 18 7:20 am     Reply with quote

Crap!
Question: What's the opinion on car alarms? Do they even work? I often leave everything in the car parked at our curb. Been hearing from SF forums that these alarms are a waste.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 03, 18 10:33 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Crap!
Question: What's the opinion on car alarms? Do they even work? I often leave everything in the car parked at our curb. Been hearing from SF forums that these alarms are a waste.

An alarm is useful if it notifies YOU that your belongings are under threat. In most cases, nobody else is going to do anything to protect your gear. The next question is do you feel prepared to confront possibly dangerous thugs? Calling the police MIGHT help, if they get there in time, if they even come. Being properly prepared to protect your belongings and your loved ones takes time, the proper tools, training and will. If you don't desire to take these steps, your best option is a good insurance policy. Don't step into a situation you're not prepared to deal with for the sake of just things. Insurance money will buy you new things.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 03, 18 11:25 am     Reply with quote

I don’t leave my stuff in my vehicle even with an alarm. I don’t want to deal with a broken window, thugs, cops.... it’s a pain putting it away each night but it would be worse dealing with police, insurance, mechanics, the feelings of violation....

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 03, 18 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

Ah, felony flats, such a crappy part of town. And a blood donation center. It’s like a dirtbag watering hole. Come by bus, sell your fluids, steal a car.

I dread working jobs in Portland, so many thieving scumbags. The rule is: never leave anything even remotely tempting in sight. Backpack, computer bag, kite, phone, not even change for tolls and parking. Anything like that will get your window smashed. Car alarm will just be added annoyance.

I lost a window and the grocery sack of trash that was on the passenger side floorboard. But since they were in there they stole my warm clothes out of the trunk, flashlights and a few tools, and had a go at the ignition. Tore up the streering column. At some point they took a break and had a snack. (Trash from crappy food I never bought). All this in a pay lot with “security”.
And I got to drive home down the gorge in the rain in January with no window. Wish they’d left me a sweat shirt.

Seattle is even worse.

I haven’t lost a car yet, but I figure that’s just luck.

I hope there’s insurance on the car and a homeowners policy to help with the lost gear.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 03, 18 8:41 pm     Reply with quote

Portland is pretty close to the number one car theft city in the US. I always Club my car when I go into the zoo. No one is stealing my car again!!!

Clyde S. Dale

Since 23 Jul 2016
55 Posts

PostWed Jul 04, 18 4:12 am     Reply with quote

Never would have known, I'm on the east coast so this is not unheard of here. My whole perception of you aliens is based this forum and watching "Portlandia" Razz

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostWed Jul 04, 18 4:51 am     Reply with quote

For people who leave kites in vehicles, do you ever have issues with kite delaminating due to the heat?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 04, 18 5:29 am     Reply with quote

I've left Naish, Cloud, and a few other brands inside my Rocketbox all winter in scorching Mexico for 7 years without delamination issues. Fingers crossed.

markamcclure wrote:
For people who leave kites in vehicles, do you ever have issues with kite delaminating due to the heat?

boardsportsrule

Since 02 Jul 2018
4 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jul 04, 18 6:43 am     Reply with quote

Dern wrote:
Do you have the kite serial #'s by chance? That will help if the kites are found for sale somewhere.

She's looking for them on the receipt, and I'll let you know if she finds them. She just bought them so she should have some paperwork with them on there.

Thanks,

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 04, 18 6:59 am     Reply with quote

We all need to scour Craigslist and eBay for your gear. A few years ago Tonya Farmen's stuff was here in Tacoma. And then there was my Tacoma stuff for sale in Spokane a few years ago.

[quote="boardsportsrule"]
Dern wrote:

She's looking for them on the receipt, and I'll let you know if she finds them. She just bought them so she should have some paperwork with them on there.

Thanks,[/quote

boardsportsrule

Since 02 Jul 2018
4 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jul 04, 18 7:07 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
We all need to scour Craigslist and eBay for your gear. A few years ago Tonya Farmen's stuff was here in Tacoma. And then there was my Tacoma stuff for sale in Spokane a few years ago.

boardsportsrule wrote:
Dern wrote:

Thanks,

I just did a regional search using a craigslist aggregator looking for "slingshot" and found a bunch of stuff, but none of it looked like her gear. We're hoping this will play out in less than a few years but it seems like these things often take many months or years to work themselves out. Sad

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed Jul 04, 18 8:52 am     Reply with quote

I was rereading this post and was wondering what places people look for gear now, I can think of the following:

Facebook Marketplace (regional)
Craigslist (many regions)
Ebay
Garage Sales??
Pawn Shops?? (this would be odd for kite gear but if the thieves don't know what it is, maybe?)

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 04, 18 10:28 am     Reply with quote

Note: With my 2009 (brand new) gear back then it was a well organized ring of garage and car break-ins who immediately moved the stuff 7 hours east to Spokane, and then sold it. I not only saw my Helixs over there but also met a neighbor who saw his carbon graphite golf clubs in Spokane.
So, keep your search far & wide.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: