Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

WMFG Pump Repair ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 01, 18 6:38 am    WMFG Pump Repair ? Reply with quote

Is it possible to replace the rubber seal inside of the high volume pump ? I have 2 pumps that are in working shape with good hoses but the seal is starting to fail most likely due to my negligent in proper lubrication maintenance . I hate to throw them in the landfill though .

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 01, 18 6:57 am     Reply with quote

Following.... Thank You for asking this as I go through about 1 pump each year (about 100 inflations). I've done most of the prescribed maintenance with less than thrilling results. I have a woodshed with 3 carcasses.
Kip

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostSun Jul 01, 18 11:16 am     Reply with quote

While we are talking pump maintenance. How many people with WMFP pumps have had there gauges go bad?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 01, 18 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, I had maybe 70 inflations and then purchased a new gauge from WMFG. $10
Jones Beach blowing fine dust.

Anthony wrote:
While we are talking pump maintenance. How many people with WMFP pumps have had there gauges go bad?

stuffnthings

Since 28 Aug 2013
133 Posts
Colorado
Stoked

PostMon Jul 02, 18 8:07 am     Reply with quote

While I was managing a kite school in Mexico, we would just open them up, wipe them out real good and then spray down the inside with Pam cooking spray. Worked real good like.

When in doubt, kite loop out.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 02, 18 8:28 am     Reply with quote

Are you referring to the ring seal in the top that goes around the pump shaft? I am not sure of the WFMG has the same set up as the shorter pumps that have been used for years. You can remove this ring seals and find new replacement rings at a NAPA auto store. I assume other auto stores would have them too.

White Lithium grease for lubing.

Here is a post I wrote a long time ago. You can use a pipe wrench to get the plunger off. I did not have one at the time, so i used an oil filter wrench. You can also remove the handle if it comes off easy.

http://pskite.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9668

Last edited by SalmonSlayer on Mon Jul 02, 18 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 02, 18 8:35 am     Reply with quote

Also, here is a pump care tip worth reposting here.

If your poor performing pump is one of the tall ones and you store it with the handle all the way down, then the seals on the piston are at their maximum compression from the pump cylinder. To injection mold the pump cyclinder there is about a 1-degree draft angle on the bore, making the diameter at the top bigger than at the bottom. Storing your pump with the handle all the way down compresses the seals on the pistons, so they barely seal at the top of the cylinder.

Store your pump with the handle fully out and the seals will come back, you'll get more air flow when the piston is at the top of the cylinder.

WMFG

Since 02 Oct 2015
5 Posts
Toronto
Kook

PostWed Jul 04, 18 1:49 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Everyone.

Thanks "Jon" for notifying me on this thread.

There's 3 generations of WMFG pumps on the market, some could be as old as 4 years, and while they are substantially better built than the pump we used in the early days of kiting, they aren't heirlooms and won't last forever.

That being the case we have parts to pretty much rebuild the entire pump.

There are 2 gaskets on the pump. One on the plunger and one where the shaft exits the barrel. I have some stock of these.

There was a question about broken gauges. In the time since WMFG began I've had reports of maybe 20 broken gauges worldwide, and I believe all of these on first generation pumps (1.0T, 1.0R, 1.0SUP). The manufacturer improved this part and they are in stock.

For sure fine sand and grit are hard on pumps (all brands) and the beach is not a friendly pump environment. WMFG pumps are pretty easy to service. Unscrew the cap, pull out the plunger and wipe down the plunger and canister. Lithium grease is the original lubricant and this can be sourced from most hardware stores. Some care needs to betaken on re-assembly to make sure the plunger gasket is properly re-seated during reassembly.

Feel free to email info@wmfg.co with any questions or if you need parts, etc.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: