Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Broken screw in insert, Help !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
butch simones

Since 30 Sep 2016
59 Posts
N.H.

PostMon Jun 11, 18 8:52 am    Broken screw in insert, Help ! Reply with quote

Has anyone had an luck finding a shop with an "easy out" that could help removing a broken screw in a twin tip insert ? Also a tap to clean out the remaining inserts . Thank you , Butch (603) 536-1829

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 11, 18 9:05 am     Reply with quote

Is the screw actually broken or did you strip the head?

You can do it yourself. Go to a local hardware store and buy a kit - it's easy.
Ask a clerk for help if you're not sure what to buy.
You'll need a special drill bit/screw extractor to bite into the broken screw and remove it.
Then a small kit with a few different size taps.

Youtube will show you how to use the tools.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostMon Jun 11, 18 10:55 am     Reply with quote

It can be done....as for EASY, that depends on several factors...a tap alone is prob $10, extractor and drill bit another $10....Can’t tell you how many boards I’ve repaired from someone unfamiliar with the process attempting to do it themselves tho! You always run the risk of stripping; or spinning the insert, then you have to remove the old insert and replace....the repair process can escalate rather quickly.

Throw up a pic so it’s apparent what the issue is....may just need needle nose vise grips and some patience! The tap won’t be a standard tap either, it will have to bottom out not punch thru.

Also why did it break? Is it rusted or “seized up” or just a cheap screw that snapped? The screws should be 316 grade stainless.....Did you use a power drill on it? I tell kiters to NEVER use a drill putting in or tightening screws, it’s a big NO-NO, get a long handled screwdriver with the proper Phillips, usually a #3!

Easy....sure, if it goes well; if not it could become an issue...hope this helps!

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 11, 18 11:09 am     Reply with quote

Sometimes you can simply cut a groove with a dremel and unscrew it. As said above, need to see a pic to be sure. Also, I’m pretty sure Windance can do it.

butch simones

Since 30 Sep 2016
59 Posts
N.H.

PostMon Jun 11, 18 2:31 pm    No drill Reply with quote

I'm in hood river and don't have a drill and only minimal hand tools which is why I was hoping to find someone that I could pay to do the job . I tried Windance and they said no . The screw is rusted into the insert and the head broke off trying to unscrew it . I have soaked it with penetrating oil and there is a small post remaining which I'm trying to unscrew with vice grips but it not turning . If anyone here in Hood river has the proper tools I would be glad to pay them to attempt the job .

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Jun 11, 18 3:04 pm    take it to portland Reply with quote

A good tech at a snowboard shop should have all the tools necessary to fix you up. I would say the Mtn Shop or possibly US outdoor but ask if they know what they are doing.

Another option would be Timberline but I dont know if they have techs on hand with the skills and tools.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 11, 18 6:15 pm     Reply with quote

Greentree Automotive in The Heights just south of Rosauers.

butch simones

Since 30 Sep 2016
59 Posts
N.H.

PostMon Jun 11, 18 6:25 pm    Insert fixed Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your helpful information . A local kiter Anthony Barbieri called me and invited me to his house in Bingen and repaired the whole thing . Thanks again Anthony you saved my butt ! Butch

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 11, 18 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

Tony--aka "Sergeant Loop!"

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostTue Jun 12, 18 6:53 am    left handed drill bit Reply with quote

fyi,
Usually a left handed drill bit works best, pick the right size and the threaded bolt may come out with you remove the bit. Too small you will have use an extractor.Too large may ruin the thread.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 13, 18 8:27 am    Butch: What technique worked? Reply with quote

Sort of like when you ask the rancher to hunt on his land then you stop by their house and offer up a few steaks.

What technique worked on this screw extraction...besides asking the universe?

butch simones

Since 30 Sep 2016
59 Posts
N.H.

PostWed Jun 13, 18 10:41 am    The universe wasn't much help ! Reply with quote

The project went pretty much as I expected . With prior experience replacing snowboard inserts . We started off with the least invasive step first by drilling out the remaining screw and trying to remove it with an easy-out . First of all you have to drill with laser precision so you don't ruin the threads , maybe with a drill press . After totally Fu#&*ng the insert we moved on to the most aggressive repair which involved cutting out the old insert and epoxying in a new insert being careful not to get any epoxy on the threads . Like I said pretty much as I expected !!! Thank god I had Tony(Sargent Loop) and his tools to help me ! Oh I almost forgot the most important step ..................... it was a "FOUR" beer project !

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 13, 18 11:19 am    Re: The universe wasn't much help ! Reply with quote

butch simones wrote:
..................... it was a "FOUR" beer project !

so you don't drink beer then? Wink

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostThu Jun 14, 18 4:43 am     Reply with quote

316 stainless

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: