Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lift Foil Modification Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Rabo

Since 18 May 2018
2 Posts

PostFri May 18, 18 10:22 pm    Lift Foil Modification Question Reply with quote

I’m looking for suggestions. I own a 2015 or 2016 Lift foil. Both ends of the fuselage have a sharp point, almost like a spear end, that extends beyond the wings in both the front and the back. Has anyone tried cutting the ends of the fuselage off or rounding them. I’m concerned about creating a vibration, but would like to avoid getting injured by the points. Thanks.

2695E839-ED88-4482-A45F-A8710B23DF20.jpeg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  2695E839-ED88-4482-A45F-A8710B23DF20.jpeg
 Filesize:  1.22 MB
 Downloaded:  364 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

9A335E56-C71A-4101-88CB-F8AFB03A2631.jpeg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  9A335E56-C71A-4101-88CB-F8AFB03A2631.jpeg
 Filesize:  1.2 MB
 Downloaded:  357 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Chipotle

Since 26 Mar 2011
70 Posts

PostSat May 19, 18 6:53 am    go for it Reply with quote

You should be fine. The vibration that's coming from a lot of the carbon foils is due to the very thin trailing edge resonating at an audible frequency. Rounding and/or thickening edges actually helps the vibration issue. The nose of your fuselage tip could be flat and you probably wouldn't even notice. You could probably go with a flat tail too but you risk cavitation, so a round is safer.

Go for what's safe:)

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon May 21, 18 5:59 am     Reply with quote

I've got the Lift foil and I would be nervous to start hacking into it. Even if you successfully blunt those points, you've still got the mast which is like a machete.

My strategy is just to keep the mast and my body on opposite sides of the board. Smile

and for now keep wearing my helmet so I don't end up like this guy... Laughing

Foil vs skull-sm.jpg 

Chipotle

Since 26 Mar 2011
70 Posts

PostMon May 21, 18 6:17 am    why? Reply with quote

That guy got lucky if he's still smiling after an impact with that mast. But a helmet still won't protect your feet, legs, arms, other extremities from sharp and fast moving heavy objects. I'm not sure why companies are making the edges so sharp. Trailing should be sharper than the leading for sure, but you can get away with a very blunt / rounded leading edge without any performance impact, especially if you have a massive high lift wing and foil more in light winds, SUP, surf, etc. Racers are another story.

The leading and trailing edges on my carbon mast are extruded from flexible PVC, so they won't hurt you. First production batch will be finished next month, and you should see a couple in the Gorge. You can learn more on bayarbakiteboarding.com or PM me if you're interested in one. Every time I post on NWKite it gets moved to the industry section so I stopped trying to share it on here. Sorry if it feels I hijacked your thread, definitely not my intention. I first responded to tell you that you should be fine removing the knives on the end of your fuselage, then the discussion evolved to safety.

Architecture_CEDRUS.png 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: