Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Two kites tangle, one man wins.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Jul 13, 18 8:57 am    Re: Releasing Leash Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:

And I can't think of a situation where a person would be better off pulling their leash safety before their chicken loop safety.

When you have a "mini-fifth", or rather your kite releases onto both front lines, there is cause for disconnecting your leash first. I have done it. But thankfully not in a tangle. The primary reason for this is that this type of release only depowers the kite about 90%. Think climbing rocks in gusty winds - if you release, you want the kite gone, not dragging you over the sharp rocks.

My situation was that I was on a 11.5m and the wind came up to over 30knots with some serious turbulence, but no rocks. The turbulence was bad enough that I knew even a Best Kahoona would not land safely from an anchor. The turbulence was making the kite pop up from the side and then turn hard. My only option was to completely release the kite and go chase after it. I lucked out and got the kite back in one piece.

Many other factors allowed or necessitated this type of release. The biggest one was that no one was down wind of me. Also, my anchor was a pick-nick cabana so the kite could not fly over to the other side safely.

So, any easy way to modify a leash to be shorter for connection to the spreader bar? If I do this with my long leash, it wraps my bar, CL release, or around my surfboard fins. Maybe a "Nak mod".

cn52x5hg

Since 21 May 2016
30 Posts

PostMon Jul 16, 18 6:49 pm     Reply with quote

This happened to me today at the sandbar for the first time. I was walking into the sandbar in knee deep water at the end of my session when I heard a yell behind me. Next thing I know his kite is around mine. It appears he didn't read this thread as he immediately ejected and his kite slammed onto the sandbar. Fortunately mine came down in the water. I was actually thinking of this thread as soon as I realized there was a tangle and was ready to work it out, but alas nothing could be done. Two of my lines parted in the process. I've never had to replace lines before. Is it worth it? Should I buy another used bar?

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Jul 16, 18 8:24 pm     Reply with quote

See what you can do for a price on just 1 set of either fronts or backs if that is what you need. Sometimes there are shorter bars for sale cheap because not many of us want a shorter bar. If you can get one of those, and the line lengths are a match, then that could cover you and you would have some spare parts.

If your bar is on it's first set of lines, usually it does pay to buy a new set of lines. If your bar is worn out with respect to the cleat, CL loop, or center hole - definitely go for a new bar.

Or, if you want to get into making your own custom line sets, now may be the time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: