Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rowena Beach clean up TODAY. RIGHT NOW!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 07, 18 7:12 am    Rowena Beach clean up TODAY. RIGHT NOW!!!! Reply with quote

Come on out everybody! The rain is letting up and should be a nice morning.

The CGWA is organizing a beach cleanup to improve the kiting side of the park. We will be redistributing the rocks and gravel to smooth out the east side while moving the bigger rocks out of the way.

Many hands make light work and it would be great to make Rowena a less heinous launch site than it is right now. The Rowena/Doug's stretch is has some of the best and most consistent windy days in the Gorge and usually stay windy later in the day than HR. It is underutilized! Let's make it comfy and usable. All my Wasco homies should be there at least!

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 07, 18 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

The Rowena kite launch work went well today. We moved a bunch of sharp loose rocks to the side and tried to get the place cleaned up. A lot of windsurfers and the CGWA put work into it which is rad.

Yes Rowena is kind of gnarly. But the river needs more access for kiting because HR is getting pretty crowded and will only get more crowded. So let's do whatever it takes to make Rowena usable.

Whenever you go to Rowena do whatever you can to smooth out this area to make it more approachable and less gnarly. The more people use it, the more beat in it gets, and the better it becomes. Seriously whatever you can do to smooth out the kite area is an improvement.

When kiting Rowena pump up your kite in the big flat area on the east end of the park. Lay out your lines and walk down to the water ad have your buddy launch your kite from the flat area up top. Who knows maybe one day an anchor will magically appear in the ground so we can self launch easily.

Launching out of the Cove is easy and straight forward but not advised by the Park. It is an environmentally sensitive area and has a lot of Native Artifacts in it. Let's respect that and use what we improved and will continue to improve. It won't get done unless you do it.

IMG_1408.JPG 
   IMG_1407.JPG 
   IMG_1406.JPG 

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostMon Apr 09, 18 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

Excellent work. Looks nice! If I launch from there I will try and move a few rocks every time.

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostWed Apr 11, 18 3:17 pm     Reply with quote

worked great yesterday! still very slippery when you leave the beach and enter water on the larger flat rocks. but beach is super nice, it looks great.

4 of us out foiling. typical frontally driven Rowena. wind was 12...4...20...16 and kites ranged from 5.5 to 12meter. Gotta love the gorge in April!! it's nice to be back in a wetsuit and see the sun.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 12, 18 9:49 am    Events Schedule or Last Minute Invitations Reply with quote

Sorry we missed it.
Only hours after the event did I see the above post about the Rowena Beach clean-up event.

Where can we watch for scheduled or last minute invitations for Volunteer Programs (Clean-up days)?

Please reply with where we should watch for posting (news pages, forums, etc.) for these Volunteer Events?

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Apr 13, 18 8:52 am    Re: Events Schedule or Last Minute Invitations Reply with quote

Kmun wrote:
Where can we watch for scheduled or last minute invitations for Volunteer Programs (Clean-up days)?

Please reply with where we should watch for posting (news pages, forums, etc.) for these Volunteer Events?

Join the CGWA. Smile Bummed I missed it as well and wonder how long the CGWA had it planned??

Friday the 13th so let's stir the pot and see what nwkite has to say about................with many dual sport windsurf members their initiative to help improve a kite launch is a natural progression since we all come from the same DNA to play on the water. It seems logical the CGWA and CGKA begin discussions to perhaps merge and what that would look like. The organizational strength and paid staffing of the CGWA could become a bigger advocate for ALL Gorge water sport activities.

The CGKA is all volunteer, thankless and time consuming so it just sits. I "think" it's been active for at least 10-12 years so if their 2000+ kite member quotes are accurate there should be a good history of financials to prove a paid kite liason, under one organizational umbrella, is doable. If not, it should be, as the kite voice in the Gorge should be loud, proud and well financed just like the thousands of kiters descending into the area are.

The candidate would be somebody with all local launch knowledge, city, port, shop and industry connections and unlimited stoke like a Lisa Schlect-esque type mega-personality. She could jump start the dead online communication in about 60 minutes and probably double the membership in 60 days. Just a thought. (Sorry Lisa for name dropping but a strong female kiter will get shit done.) Tis the season.......see you on the water amigos.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 14, 18 9:41 am     Reply with quote

Sorry I missed it too as Rowena is my main Spring spot. Perhaps posting it a bit earlier next time would help. Was with the Cgwa and switched to the CGKA a few years ago but I get nothing from it and only a couple Facebook posts a year. Maybe they should be rolled into a Columbia Gorge Wind Association?

Perhaps gravel could be piled as close as a truck can get it and I can bring a wheelbarrow and shovel whenever I’m there?

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Apr 21, 18 7:40 pm    Re: Events Schedule or Last Minute Invitations Reply with quote

Sella wrote:

The CGKA is all volunteer, thankless and time consuming so it just sits. I "think" it's been active for at least 10-12 years so if their 2000+ kite member quotes are accurate there should be a good history of financials to prove a paid kite liason, under one organizational umbrella, is doable. If not, it should be, as the kite voice in the Gorge should be loud, proud and well financed just like the thousands of kiters descending into the area are.

Plans are being put into place for new conjoined activities between the CGWA and the CGKA this year, Both organizations are working hard and fast at this moment to blend some common lines of interest in regards to safety, user access and current events.

The Rowena clean up was an opportunity that landed on short notice for the CGWA and they had all the helpers they needed, so they ran with the fast and furious formula.

Where we will need A LOT OF HELPERS is for the next launch access improvment/clean up at Viento State Park.
We will need Kiters, Windsurfers, SUPers and anyone that can use a clipper, rake or shovel.
Via CGKA and CGWA communications, you will be kept apprised of these future activities. Estimated work date will be early/mid May.
Pepi and Adam will keep you updated on the NWKite forum for future kite related clean ups.

PS - Sail, Kite, or SUP, we are all watersports enthusiasts, and we are glad to hear that most everyone else agrees on this. This summer will be quite an interesting year for improvements.

Thank you all for your support of both organizations and for your future support as we start to work more closely together.

Your local CGKA Volunteer Board

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Apr 23, 18 3:18 pm    Re: Events Schedule or Last Minute Invitations Reply with quote

cgka wrote:
Plans are being put into place for new conjoined activities between the CGWA and the CGKA this year, Both organizations are working hard and fast at this moment to blend some common lines of interest in regards to safety, user access and current events.

PS - Sail, Kite, or SUP, we are all watersports enthusiasts, and we are glad to hear that most everyone else agrees on this. This summer will be quite an interesting year for improvements.

Your local CGKA Volunteer Board

The Gorge is arguably the most welcoming and diverse kite community of all so your efforts to put the coordination to the upcoming seasonal chaos is great news and we all look forward to hearing more about all these teasers being dropped.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: