Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Thinking about replacing my Slingshot swivels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Mar 10, 18 3:59 pm    Thinking about replacing my Slingshot swivels Reply with quote

I love my SS bars, but feel the swivels are lacking in quality.

Based mostly upon these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4O6tzIknxo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWL-3L7Zkaw

I have been thinking of replacing my SS swivels with wainman.
http://www.slingshotsports.com/Center-of-the-Universe-Swivel
vs
http://store.wainmanhawaii.com/bars/62-swivel-carrot-rg-30-bar-blackgray.html

It appears to me that they should be interchangeable. Does anyone have any experience or input on the subject?

bcorcor

Since 12 Apr 2015
18 Posts
Manzanita

PostSat Mar 10, 18 7:38 pm     Reply with quote

I will happily buy one of your Slingshot swivels if it is in decent condition

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Mar 11, 18 9:13 am     Reply with quote

Hey john, rode both Slingy’s & Wainman’s for a while. As I remember it, the Wainman swivels were one of the few I have ever used that actually worked most of the time. Never tried to swap them but they would fit just the same, I believe. If you decide to give it a go, let us know how it works out.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostTue Mar 13, 18 12:16 pm    Re: Thinking about replacing my Slingshot swivels Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
I love my SS bars, but feel the swivels are lacking in quality.

Based mostly upon these videos:
I have been thinking of replacing my SS swivels with wainman.
It appears to me that they should be interchangeable. Does anyone have any experience or input on the subject?

The manufacturing tolerances on the swivels are too loose and they vary part to part. On 3 new bars I'd get vastly different experiences with the swivels and I'm also told that the size of the kite (spread of lines) can impact the force impacted to turn the swivel. On ocean downwinders I tend to downloop in one direction much more than the other, so it became quite an annoyance for me.

Like you, I researched this online and saw videos of the amazing looking Wainman swivel (there is a video of it spinning like a kid's fidget spinner) so I bought one to replace one of my SS swivels. There was no difference once installed and subjected to the same kiting environment. Zero. It was not a magic solution, but was compatible.

I rinse these swivels with fresh water after every use, I spray with the Marine dry lubricant, and they just rarely spin when I need them to. HOWEVER, I no longer have this problem...

...I bought the Slingshot Compstick Sentinel bars instead. I gave up on the auto swivels. They just don't work. The Sentinel has a manual below the bar swivel that works every time. Smile

Disclaimer; Most friends who had to listen to me gripe about this report zero issues with their swivels. It clearly is based not only part tolerances, but also kiting style. It just doesn't bother many people.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 13, 18 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

BigJohn,
Talk to Larry. I've had many years of various mfg swivels and have never had a positive experience, ever. But the Core below-the-bar-swivel (and the Slingshot Compstick Sentinel) is the answer.
Kip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: