Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Surfrider Foundation: EPA and NOAA under threat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Feb 12, 18 2:46 pm    Surfrider Foundation: EPA and NOAA under threat Reply with quote

Thought I would pass this along for those that want to message congress on this issue. Takes 5 seconds with this link..

https://secured.surfrider.org/action/engagement?actionId=AR0016191&id=701i00000018YoU&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=ADV%2FNE%20-%20FY19%20Budget%20Action%20Alert&utm_campaign=Clean%20Water&utm_content=General

The President's Budget for FY 2019 proposes steep and sweeping cuts for both the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA). Critical federal programs administered by these agencies protect the health of swimmers at the beach and help coastal communities prepare for changing weather patterns and rising sea levels. If Congress does not push back against these debilitating cuts, neither agency will be able to effectively protect our health or our coastlines.

Clean water, healthy beaches and resilient coasts are important to those of us who live, work and play at the coast, and they are critical to the quality of life and economic vitality of coastal communities across the country. In fact, coastal recreation and tourism economies, which rely on safe and healthy beaches, are valued at over $100 billion and support 2.15 million jobs nationwide!

Please send an email to Congress asking them to reject the President’s budget proposal and support level funding for EPA and NOAA in next year’s budget.[b]

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Feb 12, 18 3:02 pm    Make your voices heard. Reply with quote

email send! Outdoor enthusiasts, please take the time to make your voices heard.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Feb 12, 18 5:50 pm     Reply with quote

Done, hope it makes a difference but in this political era not holding my breath.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue Feb 13, 18 9:15 am     Reply with quote

With the planned gutting of NOAA would be to shut down operation and maintenance of many of the buoys and observation instrumentation that surfers, kiters, boaters, windsurfers, and commercial fisherman use for monitoring ocean and coastal conditions.

So the meager savings you got with the Tax Break for the Wealthy will quickly disappear as burned gasoline and time spent driving around to check conditions rather than to just look on the internet.

Evil or Very Mad

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 14, 18 8:38 pm     Reply with quote

Sent.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostThu Feb 15, 18 5:13 am     Reply with quote

Hard to comprehend the sweeping changes proposed and the effects on the nation’s fresh water supply. Funding for the Great Lakes would be slashed from $300 M to $30M; the real kicker tho is the relaxing or elimination of restrictions placed on factories, power plants and steel mills that line the lakeshores.

The effort to clean-up the Great Lakes has taken decades. Hopefully things will be kept “in perspective” as the proposals move forward. And yes, I’d love to have my weather reports too!

....message sent!

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Feb 16, 18 5:12 pm     Reply with quote

very easy to do!

AKkiter

Since 31 Aug 2008
181 Posts
Montavilla
Stoked

PostSun Feb 18, 18 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

Email sent. However the automated email response from Jeff Merkely's office is a bit unfortunate.Seemed a little disingenuous to me....
Copied here:

"Thank you for your email. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, my offices have been receiving unprecedented numbers of phone calls, emails and letters from Oregonians. Please know my staff is working hard to sort through the thousands of messages to help me get back to you on the topic of your email. In light of the high volume, I appreciate your patience.

If you are having a specific problem with a federal agency, such as help with a passport, veterans' benefits, or citizenship matters, you can contact my Portland office at 503-326-3386.

Thank you for your understanding.

All my best,

Jeff Merkley
United States Senator"

AKkiter

Since 31 Aug 2008
181 Posts
Montavilla
Stoked

PostThu Feb 22, 18 1:31 pm    Earl's reply email FWIW Reply with quote

EARL BLUMENAUER
Third District, Oregon

COMMITTEE ON WAYS AND MEANS

House of Representatives Seal
Congress of the United States // House of Representatives // Washington, DC 20515 WASHINGTON OFFICE:
1111 Longworth Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-4811

DISTRICT OFFICE:
911 NE 11th Ave
Suite 200
Portland, OR 97232
(503) 231-2300

February 22, 2018

Dear Nick,

Thank you for contacting me about Trump's proposed budget cuts to environmental programs. Once again, Trump has put forward a misguided and unbalanced budget that prioritizes military spending at the expense of public health, clean air and water, and programs that Americans need and hold dear. I do not support his spending priorities.

Protecting the environment is a challenge that we must fully embrace. This Congress I have voted against repeated Republican attempts to attack clean water and clean air regulations, permit offshore drilling in sensitive areas like the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and rollback protections for national monuments and public lands.

In the past, I've requested robust funding for environmental agencies like the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). I will continue to request full funding support for them. Together, these organizations have saved countless lives, protected public health, and reduced pollution in almost every sector of our economy.

In the face of Trump's anti-environment agenda, I will continue to voice my opposition and fight against this administration's dangerous policies. If you would like to receive updates on this issue and others as we tackle these challenges in Congress, please sign up for Earl-news at http://blumenauerforms.house.gov/forms/form/?ID=1.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,
Congressman Earl Blumenauer
Earl Blumenauer
Member of Congress
For more information about Congressman Blumenauer, please sign up for Earl-news at, https://blumenauer.house.gov.
EB/MF

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Mar 01, 18 11:17 am    Please take the time to sign this. THX! Reply with quote

Bump!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: