Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

I’m cheap... and looking for advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jan 25, 18 7:20 pm    I’m cheap... and looking for advice Reply with quote

2 things on my mind this winter night:
First, I am looking to cobble up a cheap short mast for my foil, a zeeko.
Options seem to be:
1) slingshot Al mast/collar + mill out one hole in my fuse to more of a slot ( its bolt spacing is ~48.87 or something versus slingshots slightly more, I think it’s 50mm)
2) slingshot mast/collar + fab an adaptor from Al bar stock - should be easy enough with a drill press, saw, file, few hours of patience

Leaning to option 2 to get the total length I want, 65-70cm.
Anyone done this here and care to offer advice?
Paging stringy, among others.....

Second, anyone use a sweet potato as a foilboard? Comments?

I snagged a used one for surfing/lightwind nonfoil kiting and wonder if worth adding foil ability. Planning a few sesh to see if I even like it first, though at my age and with small mushy waves plaguing my east coast haunts, it’s probably destined to be a staple, and will no doubt get some carbon uni life extender / fashion stripes at the least.

Could use a set of controller template quads in fcs or fcs 2 by the way, if anyone wants to be rid of them.
Thanks for reading and stay warm!

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostThu Jan 25, 18 10:37 pm     Reply with quote

I don't have specific advice, but can commiserate on trying to make this foiling this work on the cheap!

You want a shorter mast so you can use your zeeko wings. Cheapest short mast out there are slingshot. People sell off their flight schools once competent. So ... get a 24". But it won't fit your fuselage ... so could get a piece of aluminum bar, drill the holes needed to attach to your mast and to attach the wings. That's about the cheapest/easiest option I can think of. Razz

Sweet potato: no, but have a potatonator that I am debating adding in some foil mast tracks, for paddle foiling. Is that what you're up to? I think that board would be pretty big for kite foiling, it would work but a lot more board than you need. But for paddle foiling.....could be perfect, for transitioning from sup foil to paddle foil. Dunno ... just speculating. Good luck!

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jan 26, 18 6:37 am     Reply with quote

The potato is 5'6" / 38L so i think it will crossover between regular small waves surfing and lightwind kiting well.
For kitefoiling it could work ok with a short mast if not too heavy in the conversion. Obviously too big for advanced freestyle and too wide for serious upwind, but I think I am pretty happy with moderate speed and carving. I just don't want to run aground as much and/or have to walk out 100yards+ every session. Plenty of sandbars in my area.
I plan to also build a smaller paipo specific to foiling, about 145-150 x 50 for potential golfbag travel, but that's another topic

I still like my Carver wing a lot and I'd buy a short zeeko mast new but they aren't cheap and the current one may be near the end of its product life cycle with a need for stronger connections coming to support crossover and surf wings, which seems to be a trend these days...

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 17, 18 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

update: punched some holes in my SP deck body dragging when the wind dropped but the chop kept going. FST construction. Or is it FML?Twisted Evil
I never knew the edges of the Engine carbon slider bar were that sharp Embarassed
So the potato is ripe for going under the knife.
Will update results if repair/improvement comes to fruition.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Apr 17, 18 5:44 pm     Reply with quote

kiting is def a different challenge for surfboards. i would think that a high volume board like the potato/potatonator would be fine for kiting as you can make anything work with kite power, but the volume would make it feel more loggy. ive only used kite specific directionals, so my thoughts about it are hypothetical

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: