Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Not the usual tips and tricks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Loneski

Since 18 Dec 2010
103 Posts
Washington
Stoked

PostSun Jan 21, 18 6:01 pm    Not the usual tips and tricks Reply with quote

Looking for helpful ideas to work on, or be aware of. For example a lot of riders are using some sort of slider rope that they attach their chicken loop to. What happens when your safety triggers and you need to reset and attach your loop to your slider rope. Easy to do while you are standing up on the shore. Not so easy in heavy conditions. You don't have the option of resetting your chicken loop above the water and then simply hooking in. It all takes place underwater and by feel. Try floating on your back rolling in the waves as your kite is pulling as you are trying to not let go with one hand and reset with the other. Something that is way harder than you ever dreamed. Something you can practice on your of season.
Any other helpful tips that we can learn before it is too late?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jan 22, 18 9:09 am     Reply with quote

I use a Ride Engine harness that attaches direct to my rope slider.
I keep a carabiner on the back of my harness for emergency situations like this.
I started carrying the biner after a hook broke off my old Dakine harness.
I can transfer the biner to the rope slider and then attach the chicken loop to the biner - it will get me back to the beach.

That being said - now that I have a few hundred sessions on the Ride where I have to open my chicken loop every time I hook in - the technique has become second nature and I can do it blindfolded in the dark without looking.

Everyone should practice these type of scenarios and self rescue at the start of every season.
Get out a few hundred feet from your launch, pop the release - practice putting it back together a couple of times, then wrap your lines and self rescue back to the launch.

Last edited by ldhr on Mon Jan 22, 18 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jan 22, 18 9:59 am     Reply with quote

+1
that is exactly what I do/how I feel about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: