Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Skyline Snow!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu Jan 18, 18 4:40 pm    Skyline Snow! Reply with quote

I kited Skyline today, Thurs, Jan 18, and there is enough snow to warrant carrying snowshoes for snowboarders. Not impossible to walk to the kite, but a chore for sure.

I kited the beginner area out in front of the parking lot and there just a few rocks showing.

I went over the to the west and made it up to So. Skyline drive. Plenty of snow up there too. Bosco is showing just a bit of bush, but that should get taken care of with this storm over the weekend.

Winter is finally starting here in Utah!

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostThu Jan 18, 18 7:14 pm     Reply with quote

How much is needed for Strawbs to be in shape?

Thx for the update

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Jan 19, 18 2:01 pm     Reply with quote

Showing bush..

showing bush.jpg 

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Jan 19, 18 4:19 pm     Reply with quote

lewmt wrote:
How much is needed for Strawbs to be in shape?

Straberry is a pretty long chain of spots. Bottom line is that you need some sort of base. But you also need RECENT snow as all the spots get pretty warm given their lower elevation than Skyline. Wind is actually important there too as it does not just blow 15mph on 7mph forecast like it frequently does up at Skyline. NWS point forecast hourly graph is my main tool for wind at Strawberry and Skyline.

"Strawberry River" holds snow really well. I am not even sure if there is actually sage bush (for Wind Slither, everyone else read that as "bRush") there, rather it seems to just be a grassy field. Every time I have been there it has been covered and that is my main spot to kite as it has better wind and better snow. If any Strawberry spot is likely to have enough snow, this one will. I like to see at least a 10mph forecast for Strawberry River, but it has filled in plenty for a 15m on an 8mph forecast numerous times for me. Best direction is NNW, but the hill turns the wind more north so a WNW works there too. This is the first spot to blow in the morning.

"Chicken creek/CO-OP" Creek are a little further down the line and seem to be more like Strawberry river, but slightly more fickle/late for wind. NW to SE works for these. They can occasionally start blowing the same time as Strawberry River.

"The View" on the north side of the lake is big-time sage bush (again for Wind Slither). You need tons of snow there. Plus you have the possibility to be down on the lake on the ice. This lake takes lots of cold to freeze thick enough to be safe. But some of the best riding is along the shore where the snow piles up from blowing off of the lake. This is the latest spot for the wind. - Think of it like eastern gorge, and Strawberry River as HR or Viento. W is the best direction there, but SSW to WNW works there too.

"The Marina/Campground" needs some snow too. You can ride on the lake there, but again, you need to worry about ice thickness. If you want to play in the closed campground, you will need 30" of snow to cover the pick-nick tables. More snow means you can take a "sit" on top of an outhouse or two. All E directions work for this spot.

Try em all to see which one has what you want. Definitely hit "The View" if it has enough wind and snow. It is a choice spot and rare to line up with perfect conditions. Sorry I can't give you a definitive number on Strawberry at all the spots, but no one really goes there unless there is recent snow and it is forecast to be cold enough for fast snow with good wind to go fast.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue Jan 23, 18 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Skyline is filled in! Bosco hill was epic yesterday with super soft snow just deep enough to be good, but now a pain.

Still hearing reports of Strawberry not having enough to go everywhere, but some people are kiting at Strawberry River.

A bit more snow on the way here, and great wind forecasts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: