Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Snowkiting Whistler?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostThu Dec 21, 17 10:33 am    Snowkiting Whistler? Reply with quote

I'm heading up to Whistler in the next week for downhill skiing, but have been itching to snowkite too and am trying to decide whether or not to bring the kites (my gut is when in doubt just bring them).

I'm sure there are great backcountry spots in the high alpine that would work, but I'm not equipped or trained to do backcountry exploration at this point and certainly not familiar enough with the area. Does anyone know if there are local frozen lakes that would work for snowkiting in the area?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Dec 21, 17 10:44 am     Reply with quote

If you have the extra room for your kites and harness then why wouldn't you bring them? Listen to that little voice inside your head.

And Whistler really isn't that high in altitude at its base; if I recall it is just shy of 2,200'. I would be very skeptical of any "frozen lakes" up there; at least around the base of Whistler unless there has been a very long cold streak with very cold temps; like last year around this time. If your heading up higher and looking for lakes to kite upon then you're delving into the backcountry issue/s that you're not equipped to deal with right now (as you stated). Look for a lowland flats.

Have fun!

Last edited by Sasquatch on Fri Dec 22, 17 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostThu Dec 21, 17 4:27 pm     Reply with quote

right thanks, good point about the altitude - I have no desire to be out on thin ice and so would certainly need to consult with locals on the ice conditions before venturing out.

If anyone has suggestions for open sub-alpine flats speak up! BC has more trees than they know what to do with so I'm not getting my hopes up Very Happy Will probably bring the kites but just end up downhill skiing anyway.

Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostThu Dec 21, 17 4:30 pm     Reply with quote

I found this article:

https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/thin-ice-warning-for-green-lake/Content?oid=2446031

Looks like Green Lake could be an option depending on ice thickness.

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Dec 21, 17 4:53 pm    a few local spots Reply with quote

Yes. Even though WhistlerBlackcomb is not a mecca for snowkiting, there are a few spots. The lake just north of town does freeze over and that is a good spot for a beginner when conditions align. Probably doesn't freeze til mid Jan. The other 2 spots that we've kited are in the backcountry and for experienced kiters. One off Whistler peak just into the backcountry accessed by lifts and the other on Pemberton Glacier accessed by heli or snowmobile.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Dec 22, 17 2:44 pm     Reply with quote

Green Lake is the go to spot for snow kiting and it's hit and miss. Right now it'll be a huge miss because it hasn't frozen yet:

http://greenlakeboatrentals.net/green-lake-webcam/

Occasionally people will hike up Fitzsmimmons Creek and snowkite up there but it's about a 2 hour hike in and out again.

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Dec 25, 17 7:16 am     Reply with quote

That webcam appears to be a Green Lake near Seattle. My friend posted pics of his kids skating Alta Lake yesterday, is Alta is frozen in Whistler so is Green. It appears to have very little snow on it.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Dec 28, 17 4:59 pm     Reply with quote

Oops. Sorry for the wrong Green Lake link. It's always a bit of a PITA knowing when it's frozen over.

I would caution that just because Alta is frozen Green might not be. Green is much much bigger and therefore holds it's temperature longer.

It can be fun to kite skate on though even if no snow. You get going crazy fast.

Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostSat Dec 30, 17 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

Tons of pow on the mountain so I've stuck with just downhill, but FYI Green Lake is frozen as of now. No idea how thick the ice is though, so beware and stay dry.

letsflykites

Since 11 Mar 2015
13 Posts

PostSun Dec 31, 17 9:26 am     Reply with quote

wtfbc.ca may have more info from locals. If I recall, there is a guy that posts regularly on there who snowkites all winter on Green Lake.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSun Dec 31, 17 11:43 pm     Reply with quote

Track down Brad Gordon (NW aka Buttersmoothcarver).
He's been living up there in the winters, working for a sled tour company and pioneering some new snowkite terrain up there as well.

www.Purestokesports.com

buttersmoothcarver

Since 08 Oct 2008
246 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jan 11, 18 12:27 pm    Whistler Snowkite Beta Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

It's funny it's been long time since i'll check in here. Was going to post about my Wyoming snowkite trip. If you're interested there's still some spots open on the March 15-18th trip. It's the best all around spot in North America.

Anyways, as for Whistler snowkiting there is huge potential when you live here have a sled, and nail it on the right day.

As for easy access/beginner friendly spot, your right Greenlake is the best spot. Works on High pressure clear days, but from what I've experienced it's mostly light breeze on those kinda days. Other good option for me is Flute bowl off of Whistler slack country. But without a Epic pass your talking very expensive snowkite day and high skunk factor. Just enjoy the world class skiing, IMO.

The Beta for future interests: Check out BC Snowkite local Facebook page. Greenlake is located just north of Whistler Village, Parking located right hand side pull out near mid portion of lake. Beware only park in designated spots, I seen a guy get towed while out kiting. It can be fun far side of lake tracking fresh pow, all though I kind poo poo on riding flat lakes and working on freestyle creativity.

There are some other super sweet spots Brandywine, Brohm Ridge if you own a good mtn sled.

Anyones free to contact me for more snowkite info, I'm making the annual pilgrimage MT, Wyoming late Feb.

Brad Gordon
Thermal Foundation Snowkite

DSCN5041 (2).JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DSCN5041 (2).JPG
 Filesize:  1.75 MB
 Downloaded:  401 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

IMG_0719 - Copy.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_0719 - Copy.jpg
 Filesize:  1.24 MB
 Downloaded:  430 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Brad Gordon

Thermal Foundation
www.snowkiteadventures.com
text 2063000450

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: